The Student Room Group

Self-teaching languages over summer progression thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Gonna have a go at German/Spanish depending on which one wins the TSR vote.

I may do German on my own time if it ends up being Spanish.

I have no social life :tongue:

Glad to see you're taking an interest in language, Danny boii. I'll be studying Esperanto before moving onto a European language of my choice. Keep me updated on your progress. :tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Glad to see you're taking an interest in language, Danny boii. I'll be studying Esperanto before moving onto a European language of my choice. Keep me updated on your progress. :tongue:

I did German up to standard grade, but want to be fluent, and I've basically forgotten it all.
Reply 282
I've just started learning Russian. Also I am going to revise my mere Spanish knowledge during this summer.
I'm trying to learn French. It's progressing very sloooooowly. Xenophobic views about the diabolical nature of the French- rising very fast! <--- This is a very unfunny joke, to vent my frustration with the pronunciation.

I'm doing an A-level in German at the moment, so I think I can speak, erm, some German. Probably. I also used to be able to read and write Latin, so the grammar should be manageable, once I get to the point of having mastered enough spoken words to make a sentence. <--positive thinking
Over the summer I will probably try to improve my French (as I will have done my A2 by then), and I will be re-starting Spanish. I wish I had taken Spanish on to A level; the culture and history are gorgeous. :smile:
Reply 285
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I'm trying to learn French. It's progressing very sloooooowly. Xenophobic views about the diabolical nature of the French- rising very fast! <--- This is a very unfunny joke, to vent my frustration with the pronunciation.

I'm doing an A-level in German at the moment, so I think I can speak, erm, some German. Probably. I also used to be able to read and write Latin, so the grammar should be manageable, once I get to the point of having mastered enough spoken words to make a sentence. <--positive thinking

can i just ask, im thinking of doing german next year for alevel but everyone seems to say its hard so im not sure! I'm expecting an a or a * at gcse in german and ive also done latin for gcse although not sure what i'll get in it.
Anyway is german alevel reaaly that hard? And does doing latin at gcse help?
Original post by Juniorr
can i just ask, im thinking of doing german next year for alevel but everyone seems to say its hard so im not sure! I'm expecting an a or a * at gcse in german and ive also done latin for gcse although not sure what i'll get in it.
Anyway is german alevel reaaly that hard? And does doing latin at gcse help?
Well, I don't know what grade I got. If I got an A or a B, then AS German is pathetically easy. If I got a C or a D, then AS German is really hard, and I'll make a sad face, every time someone asks me. You see what I mean?

It's an A level. They're always harder than GCSEs, but if it's a subject you really enjoy, then you don't notice. If you love learning any particular language, you put in the work required without noticing.

I've never taken the GCSE Latin course, so I don't know what's on the specification, but my former knowledge of Latin did help immensely when I was beginning German, a couple of years ago. The main advantages of Latin (as far as I can see) is that former Latinists:
a) have already grasped the importance of distinguishing between subject and object
b) have encountered the idea of cases
c) feel grateful there's less adjectival forms to memorise than there is in Latin.

However, you can do very well indeed in A level German, just by learning German to start with, as many people in my class are. GCSE German A/A* will be far more useful!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending