The Student Room Group

Oxford or Imperial for engineering

Will be applying to both but was wondering which course is better for job prospects after as I know the Mechanical engineering course at Imperial offer a 1 year placement which Oxford doesn’t ...
Original post by Anonymous_guy011
Will be applying to both but was wondering which course is better for job prospects after as I know the Mechanical engineering course at Imperial offer a 1 year placement which Oxford doesn’t ...

Go to Oxford.
Reply 2
Which ever one you get in to as both are very competitive and highly ranked.
(edited 4 years ago)

Neither - Imperial is not good for student satisfaction and Oxford Engineering does not have a placement year.

Look at Bath and other non-RG unis.
Original post by Deggs_14
Which ever one you get in to as both are very competitive and highly ranked.

Yh I understand that. Going to be very hard to get into either of them 😬
Got to admit that I don't understand questions like this. Surely, more than "which one is best" needs to be asked? e.g. the gulf between living in Oxford & London is huge. Does that really not matter to people applying to these places? It's also impossible to answer re individual prospects. Using the same example, if you hate it in one of those places, your prospects will be less good than if you went to the one you preferred, surely???
Original post by Dexter321
Got to admit that I don't understand questions like this. Surely, more than "which one is best" needs to be asked? e.g. the gulf between living in Oxford & London is huge. Does that really not matter to people applying to these places? It's also impossible to answer re individual prospects. Using the same example, if you hate it in one of those places, your prospects will be less good than if you went to the one you preferred, surely???

Live in London and like Imperials location aswell as Oxford equally. Since the locations are both good for me I’m focused on the course itself and the career prospects.
Live in London and like Imperials location aswell as Oxford equally. Since the locations are both good for me I’m focused on the course itself and the career prospects.

At the level you're talking about (i.e. graduate level engineering jobs), how the two candidates come across in their interview and the classification of the degree will be far more significant than which university you attended. In terms of opportunities for your career, it might be worth researching the connections that both courses allow you to make with industry during your time at uni.

But you're right to focus on the course content.

If you are split, I think you should apply to both unis. You have 5 choices.

Applicants are advised to use the 2-2-1 model for applications. 2 stretch unis, 2 standard unis and 1 “easy” uni.

Your 2 stretch unis can be Oxford and Imperial
2 standard unis can be Manchester and Bath
1 easy uni can be something else.

Remember that this model is dependent on your grades. A 3A*s applicant will have a different model to someone with BBD.
Original post by Wired_1800
If you are split, I think you should apply to both unis. You have 5 choices.

Applicants are advised to use the 2-2-1 model for applications. 2 stretch unis, 2 standard unis and 1 “easy” uni.

Your 2 stretch unis can be Oxford and Imperial
2 standard unis can be Manchester and Bath
1 easy uni can be something else.

Remember that this model is dependent on your grades. A 3A*s applicant will have a different model to someone with BBD.

Yup thanks a lot I will be doing that, I’m predicted 3A*s
Yup thanks a lot I will be doing that, I’m predicted 3A*s

Good luck. Let us know how you do.
I would bear in mind that Oxford does a general course called Engineering Science while Imperial will do the specific subject from the start, so if you don't like some of the other engineering disciplines, Imperial is probably where you want to go.

That's certainly fair enough. Already living in London does negate my point to some extent. I'd still have an issue rating two totally different locations as being on a par with each other, but maybe that's just me & most other people I know. I agree with the subsequent points made re course, rather than prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest