The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roobsa
It's when my hands are on the break bits (don't know the technical name). This position:

I'm getting a workout just thinking about a route like that! Sounds like a nightmare for me.

Lance and Jan! :awesome:

They're called the hoods :yep:
OK, it may be stem length, if you're overreaching and putting unnecassary weight on your arms. Talk to your LBS about bike fit, they should sort out any problems. :')

It is a beast of a route, fun though XD
Reply 2081
Original post by james-brown28
Lance and Jan! :awesome:

They're called the hoods :yep:
OK, it may be stem length, if you're overreaching and putting unnecassary weight on your arms. Talk to your LBS about bike fit, they should sort out any problems. :')

It is a beast of a route, fun though XD

I'm popping into my LBS tomorrow anyway to pick up a cycle computer so will ask then. Did a boot fair this morning and made £150! :biggrin:
Original post by Roobsa
I'm popping into my LBS tomorrow anyway to pick up a cycle computer so will ask then. Did a boot fair this morning and made £150! :biggrin:

Sorry I can't be more helpfull really, I've only been cycling 'properly' for less than a year :tongue:

You could get a garmin edge with that money! :daydreaming:
Reply 2083
Sorry I can't be more helpfull really, I've only been cycling 'properly' for less than a year :tongue:

You could get a garmin edge with that money! :daydreaming:

I appreciate the response! As a side thought, would bringing the seat forward a bit help at all?

This money is going towards paying off the bike. :p:
Reply 2084
Hello Cyclists Society members!

Hope you don't mind a newcomer lurking in the thread. I'm a footballer and also do quite a bit of running to maintain my fitness too. I haven't done cycling for a while but I'm eager to get back into it. I hope you don't mind having an extra member in the society.
Original post by Roobsa
I appreciate the response! As a side thought, would bringing the seat forward a bit help at all?

This money is going towards paying off the bike. :p:

It may yes, but only if it doesn't compromise your pedalling.

Original post by HR--

Hope you don't mind a newcomer lurking in the thread. I'm a footballer and also do quite a bit of running to maintain my fitness too. I haven't done cycling for a while but I'm eager to get back into it. I hope you don't mind having an extra member in the society.

Of course not :tongue:

Welcome fellow cyclist :wink:
Reply 2086
Original post by HR--

Not only welcome to the society, but welcome to TSR!
Reply 2087

Of course not :tongue:

Welcome fellow cyclist :wink:

Original post by Roobsa
Not only welcome to the society, but welcome to TSR!

Thank you both. :smile:
Original post by HR--

Welcome to the Society. :smile: Nice to see more and more people getting back into biking. :smile:

What kind of biking you thinking of getting back into?

(Please say DH, please say DH, please say DH (or AM, FR, XC, etc)).

:colondollar:
Reply 2089
Original post by DH-Biker
Welcome to the Society. :smile: Nice to see more and more people getting back into biking. :smile:

What kind of biking you thinking of getting back into?

(Please say DH, please say DH, please say DH (or AM, FR, XC, etc)).

:colondollar:

Thank you. :smile:

Unfortunately not DH-- just road cycling. :tongue: I haven't done much biking which would be considered mountain-biking.

Cycling is a great way to keep fit and explore new places which I miss, so I'm currently looking for some good routes to get back into it.
Original post by HR--

Unfortunately not DH-- just road cycling.

**** yeah :awesome: welcome to the society :smile:
Original post by HR--

Unfortunately not DH-- just road cycling. :tongue: I haven't done much biking which would be considered mountain-biking.

Cycling is a great way to keep fit and explore new places which I miss, so I'm currently looking for some good routes to get back into it.

Oh yeeeeah! :wink:

Have you tried looking for routes submitted on 'mapmyride' and other places? there may be a few routes near you. :')

How far do you usualy cycle? :cookie:
Reply 2092
Original post by HR--
x

Welcome to the society. I approved your join earlier :smile:
Reply 2093
Original post by Roobsa
Roadies,

The muscle below my thumb aches fairly quickly after being on the bike, is this a case of my hands just needing to get used to gripping the bar differently to a MTB bar? Are there any tricks to stop the aching coming on so soon?

Relax (: and reduce the pressure on your hands (: I also shift my position on the bars and on the bike really regularly because It's slightly on the small side for me... (Despite being an XL)
Reply 2094
Original post by HFerguson
**** yeah :awesome: welcome to the society :smile:

Original post by dhr90
Welcome to the society. I approved your join earlier :smile:

Thanks guys. :smile:

Oh yeeeeah! :wink:

Have you tried looking for routes submitted on 'mapmyride' and other places? there may be a few routes near you. :')

How far do you usualy cycle? :cookie:

No I haven't, but I'll check that out and see if there are any decent routes near me. Thanks.

Like I say, I literally haven't cycled in years because I've been focusing on running etc. I dusted my old bike down today and I'll have to tighten the brakes etc. because it needs a bit of care. My bike isn't great to be honest but it'll get me about. :wink:
Original post by HR--

No I haven't, but I'll check that out and see if there are any decent routes near me. Thanks.

Like I say, I literally haven't cycled in years because I've been focusing on running etc. I dusted my old bike down today and I'll have to tighten the brakes etc. because it needs a bit of care. My bike isn't great to be honest but it'll get me about. :wink:

I did 60km on a battered 1980's road bike, it was harder and made me appreciate my current bike, but like you say, it got me about while my bike was getting fixed XD

Guys...I'm entering a criterium race on Sunday :afraid:

Check out this awesome footage if you've got a few minutes to waste :tongue:
Sick stuff :wink: It's got me all excited/nervous :nutcase:

Reply 2096
I did 60km on a battered 1980's road bike, it was harder and made me appreciate my current bike, but like you say, it got me about while my bike was getting fixed XD

Good luck for your race on Sunday. :smile:

What's your average cycle distance?

Nice video by the way. I want to get out on my bike now. :tongue:
Reply 2097

For boom' cornering you want to watch this one, Gesink winning stage 6 of the Tour de Suisse, inspiring stuff for a Giant rider :wink:

Good luck with the Crit :biggrin: Tell us more?

I did 15mi into work this morning, then stood in a bike shop for 10 hours... :biggrin:
Original post by HR--
Good luck for your race on Sunday. :smile:

What's your average cycle distance?

Nice video by the way. I want to get out on my bike now. :tongue:

Usually 40 - 60km/24 - 37miles It's not mega distance, but I ride ALOT of hills, my favourite ride which I ride most has two 3-4mile long climbs XD

I like hills, but I'm a skinny bugger (58kg :tongue:) so I'm semi decent at them. That's why I'm worried about this criterium, cuz I'm so light the smallest bump throws me out of the saddle and I don't have much power on the flat :colondollar:

I'm just going to find the biggest rider in the field and draft off his wheel :wink:

I've posted this before, and it probably doesn't interest you :tongue:, but this is my fave route with the two monster hills:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/44366430

You should use this website to map yourself a route :')
A good thing to do is something like 'Roobsa' He's planned a 4 mile route which he can do laps on, so if you're not feeling good it's easy to bail but if you're feeling strong you can push on and do extra laps :')
Original post by owliver
For boom' cornering you want to watch this one, Gesink winning stage 6 of the Tour de Suisse, inspiring stuff for a Giant rider :wink:

Good luck with the Crit :biggrin: Tell us more?

I did 15mi into work this morning, then stood in a bike shop for 10 hours... :biggrin:

Nice vid, sexy descending :wink:
I want a Giant TCR Advanced soo bad, I love my cannondale, but I'm a bike whore :tongue:

It's the Cardigan street racing criterium, amateurs from all over are coming to ride it, I'm scawed :frown: ;p

I love bike shops :daydreaming: :wink:
was it a good ride? :')

Latest