The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Né Stig
Strava app.

Yep that bloody app is killing me. I see a time and I'm busting a gut to beat it, every day on the way back from work.

I hate strava.
I've done the same thing as you, constantly trying to beat the leaders! Not many rides around my way, but on most of them I can get second, but never ever first. The leader on them is nuts, I just do not understand how he can be so damn fast!
Im dying to see the guy riding about, would love to have a decent chat with him!
Original post by KingGoonIan
Collected my first ever racing bike today. I naively believed I would just be able to cycle it home on the road (I am very used to cycling on the road). I was wrong; the bike is a deathtrap (even though I did make it home alive)!

- I do not know where to hold onto the handles.
- I do not understand the gears yet.
- The breaks feel very weak and are in a strange place.
- I cannot signal without coming to a stop.
- I feel extremely low down compared to my hybrid.

All in all I find it very difficult to balance on and I am so used to lazily balancing on my hybrid. Somebody please tell me it will get easier to use! Also any tips for beginner-racer bikers? :biggrin:

Hows it treating you a couple days down the line? :smile:
Don't worry - it certainly does get easier.
What bike do you have?

I'm guessing you've got drop bars? the vast majority of the time while commuting people will have their hands on the 'hoods' (see picture below) but I use my index finger to cover the brakes on busy city roads, better to be ready for that idiot that pulls out on you!

7383345752_6bc66e1086.jpg

I tend to hold the hoods while climbing a decent hill too. Just my personal preference though!

I personally don't really like holding the hoods most of the time, I ride in the drops.
7383345066_65a2296f7f.jpg

This, in general, is a more 'aero' position, great when your going into the wind I find (less surface area for the wind to act on).

How you hold the bars is totally down to you. Do what you feel comfy with!
Sometimes I even ride holding close to the stem, But I would recommend you can get to the brakes quickly if your riding on busy roads!

What bikes/gears you got?
Are they STI type leavers (gears and brakes are all one part) or do you have down tube shifters (gears aren't anywhere near the bars, they are on the diagonal tube on the frame.) or anything like that?

Are your brakes set up properly, the brake pads aren't to worn are they?
I have to admit it, road bikes don't have the best brakes! Especially if you've come from a mountain bike with disks (Like I did!).
Something I quickly found was just how easy it is to lock the back wheel on slick, thin road bike wheels!

Could you signal on your old bike without coming to a stop?
If you could, the different riding position might have thrown your balance off. If its not what your used to, then you'll pick it up soon enough.
Might be an idea to go to a car park or something, have a practice of riding one handed :smile: Practice really helps with these things, I can't believe how much my road sense has improved since I started commuting to uni by bike!

Yep, you'll feel low down. You body is bent forward far more than on a hybrid. You'll get used to it :smile: I didn't like the position at first, now I feel horribly unbalanced on my mountain bike :tongue:

No tips as such from me. Just stick with it!
I started of just wanting a bike to get from home to uni.
A couple thousand miles, hundreds (if not thousands) of pounds later I find my self sulking when its just to windy to have a ride!
I went for a quick 10 mile round ride earlier - I never thought 10 miles in 25mph wind up and down the welsh mountains would be fun, but it well and truly has :tongue:
Now I tend not to bother riding to and from uni, and I'm looking at starting time trails and racing :redface:

More importantly, have fun with it!
Sorry if I've come across a bit to basic, better to give to much info than to little.
Feel free to ask anything at all, I'm happy to help where I can
(edited 11 years ago)
guys, bit of a strange question here but my left foot is being a nobhead.

My left ankle has been getting very tired, very quickly. Its like it can't be bothered going around with the pedals anymore. It doesn't hurt, but its not a feeling I like!
I ride clipless (have done for a lonnnng time - so its not that.), not got new shoes or pedals.
Not changed my riding position other than flipping the stem.

It's really doing my head in! Any ideas?
Original post by lonelykatana
x

Thank you so much, that is actually really helpful :smile:

I have just switched from a mountain-like bike to a racing bike like you did. I was really used to being able to signal without stopping but now I feel I have to come to a stop. I have gears on either side and you seem to change them by turning the brakes inwards. My bike looks like this:

9020-72_All_C2_Flo-Red-Wht.jpg
It is a specialized allez 2012 16.

It has been getting a bit easier but not enough for me to feel confident enough to use it to travel long-distances on busy roads (which is what I am used to doing). I am not sure if I need to change my seating though because the back of my calf muscles start to feel very strained when I pedal vigorously, maybe it is because I am not holding onto the bottom handles? Going back to signalling I feel like I have to do a lot more in order to prepare to signal because I am in such a low and tight posture now.

Have some rep, I wish I could give you more. No worries about being basic, it is what I need at the moment. Great to hear you are looking to move onto time trials and racing, good luck!
Original post by sequin12
Okay, I am going bike shopping this week for a mountain bike and it's a different type of bike to what I'm used to so would like some prior knowledge before I go.

Currently, I have a rather nice road bike and a CX too, planning to sell the CX and replace it with the MTB as this seems far more sensible and for the past few months I have been wanting to experiment and roam free abit more. Even more since I started borrowing my mates old mtb, I suppose because I've been cycling for so long it feels far more exhilating.
So yes, can you suggest a good bike? anything I should look for? Or avoid? Recommended brands etc etc? I will obviously be chatting to the sales people, but I know essentially they will just want to sell me a bike. My budget is anywhere up to 3k but preferably less.
Any help is appreciated!

If you had £3k to spend, you know what you want already. Otherwise I would totally agree with what IrishGuy stated - Canyon are extremely understated and exceptional VFM; some say you basically get the frameset for free because you get the great Groupset and Wheels.
Reply 4365
Is it wrong that I want to have a go on this? :colondollar:

Planning a holiday to Leogang for this Summer, if anyone's interested in joining.

Myself and a few mates are diving over probably around early-to-mid September, if not early August, we'll try and avoid the UCI 2012 WC given the tracks will be packed. :tongue:

Got a new bike to take with along with Mrs. Trek Session:

Newframe.jpg

Bought a new set of Fox 40 2012s, the black ones with bronze stantions. Cane Creek Double Barrel rear-sus, Hayes Prime Pro brakes, Saint drive train set, cranks, bottom bracket, Chris King headset and hubs and Hope Rotors with red inners.

Its going to look swish. :colone:
Reply 4367
We need to have these in the UK, I would give anything to use that in getting to school!

Reply 4368
Original post by DH-Biker
Planning a holiday to Leogang for this Summer, if anyone's interested in joining.

Myself and a few mates are diving over probably around early-to-mid September, if not early August, we'll try and avoid the UCI 2012 WC given the tracks will be packed. :tongue:

Got a new bike to take with along with Mrs. Trek Session:

Newframe.jpg

Bought a new set of Fox 40 2012s, the black ones with bronze stantions. Cane Creek Double Barrel rear-sus, Hayes Prime Pro brakes, Saint drive train set, cranks, bottom bracket, Chris King headset and hubs and Hope Rotors with red inners.

Its going to look swish. :colone:

You clearly have too much money for yourself, I suggest you share some so I can upgrade my now almost clean Saracen :biggrin: Couldn't be bothered with the rims and spokes :colondollar:

And Mrs Trek Session? You ride the womans frame?
Addicted to my new bike; I've finally found something more addictive than gaming.
Reply 4370
My bike makes a screeching sound when I apply the front brakes? I was told it's because the rims are dirty but even after cleaning them it's the same.

Any ideas why?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4371
Taken from yahoo answers:
"this is easily adjusted out by making sure that the leading edge of the pad hits the rim before the rear edge. On cantilever and linear pull (V) brakes it is a simple matter to readjust the angle by loosening the pad and repositioning. On sidepull brakes as used for road bikes the brake arm usually needs to be "tweaked" and twisted a bit to allow this to happen... this is a very common thing for professional mechs to do to stop the squealing."
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070217223108AACt6gb
Hi guys... new to the soc :smile:

I'm a relatively new to cycling, when I was younger I never really cycled other than to work in the summer - only about a 2 mile or so round trip :redface:

However, I became ill aged 16 and I couldn't exercise due to it for a couple of years (spending 18 months in and out of a hospital bed doesn't do much for fitness. :tongue: ) When I felt well enough to start exercising again, I couldn't return to my previous sports (rugby, football, cricket etc) due to my blood counts not being good enough; I took up cycling.

I now have the cycling bug, massively!! :biggrin: I've lost just ~ 5 stone since my starting to cycle ( :eek: ) and am cycling anywhere from 6 hrs to 20hrs a week (nothing compared to you guys but I've just finished my A2's ) :biggrin: Now I've come across a problem.... my 1989 rockhopper specialized (yes really..... ); after years of being in the shed, it can't take this punishment!! So I'm on the lookout for a new bike :colondollar:

My only requirements are- it's a road bike :tongue: I don't have any plans atm to joining a club, however if I do I want a bike in which I could be relatively competitive on and not be laughed out of the place :redface:

My budget is ~ £500 (I will badger my parents to put some of their money into it and this can be increased within a reasonable amount )

I went to a massive bike shop and my eyes were: :eek: :yikes: :teeth: :tong:

Anybody have any recommendations?? The world of bikes is bewildering to a newbie :redface:

Thanks for reading :smile:
Original post by SAF1234
My bike makes a screeching sound when I apply the front brakes? I was told it's because the rims are dirty but even after cleaning them it's the same.

Any ideas why?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I take it your brakes are V-brakes ? If so, the pad has probably wore down and has now reached the metal layer, so when u apply the brakes its metal on metal so that's the problem i guess. :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Hi guys... new to the soc :smile:

I'm a relatively new to cycling, when I was younger I never really cycled other than to work in the summer - only about a 2 mile or so round trip :redface:

However, I became ill aged 16 and I couldn't exercise due to it for a couple of years (spending 18 months in and out of a hospital bed doesn't do much for fitness. :tongue: ) When I felt well enough to start exercising again, I couldn't return to my previous sports (rugby, football, cricket etc) due to my blood counts not being good enough; I took up cycling.

I now have the cycling bug, massively!! :biggrin: I've lost just ~ 5 stone since my starting to cycle ( :eek: ) and am cycling anywhere from 6 hrs to 20hrs a week (nothing compared to you guys but I've just finished my A2's ) :biggrin: Now I've come across a problem.... my 1989 rockhopper specialized (yes really..... ); after years of being in the shed, it can't take this punishment!! So I'm on the lookout for a new bike :colondollar:

My only requirements are- it's a road bike :tongue: I don't have any plans atm to joining a club, however if I do I want a bike in which I could be relatively competitive on and not be laughed out of the place :redface:

My budget is ~ £500 (I will badger my parents to put some of their money into it and this can be increased within a reasonable amount )

I went to a massive bike shop and my eyes were: :eek: :yikes: :teeth: :tong:

Anybody have any recommendations?? The world of bikes is bewildering to a newbie :redface:

Thanks for reading :smile:

Hey dude.
Glad to see you have got into cycling. 20hrs a week is alot tbh and losing 5 stone, fair play. :smile:
Well my bike which I bought last year when I took up cycling, cost me £550. I winter trained on it and now I do road racing and time trials on it.
I have a 2011 Specialized Allez triple, such a great bike to ride. I will just send you links that will help you out and be your best option.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?category=Bikes&product=Allez%2016%20Black/Char%20-%202012%20Road%20Bike

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?category=Bikes&product=F95%20-%202012%20Road%20Bike

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/products/trek-1-1-c-2012.htm

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-4-Compact-2012-Road-Bike_48730.htm (my mate owns this bike, he has changed the wheelset and tyres but he is winning everything on this bike)

Thats just a few. Stick with the likes of Giant, Specialized and trek for a first time road bike, you wont go wrong :smile:
Original post by dhr90
You clearly have too much money for yourself, I suggest you share some so I can upgrade my now almost clean Saracen :biggrin: Couldn't be bothered with the rims and spokes :colondollar:

And Mrs Trek Session? You ride the womans frame?

No no, this is from selling the Orange and the Scott. Plus with work's money on the side.
Bontrager Big Earl rims and DT-Swiss spokes, I was going to go with the yellow DeeMax rims, you can still get those quite regularly but whilst I do like them, I think the Big Earls are better.

No, everything mechanical in this country is a she. :wink: The Session's on my profile, as well, though the Women's frame does look cooler in my opinion. :tongue:

I'll be taking both, as well as the Lapierre given one of my friends hasn't got a bike at the moment due to his Gambler breaking. Another friend of mine is also taking his new Commencal Downhill D3; I haven't had a chance to demo it yet so that will be shredded. :colone:

Went riding with a friend from work for the first time on Sunday; he's got a B1 I think it was called. Big chunky frame, but man it was actually a really nice bike. Would like to see how it shreds Leogang, Whinlatter is a XC track so it'll be good to get these bikes back in their elements.
Reply 4376
Original post by DH-Biker
No no, this is from selling the Orange and the Scott. Plus with work's money on the side.
Bontrager Big Earl rims and DT-Swiss spokes, I was going to go with the yellow DeeMax rims, you can still get those quite regularly but whilst I do like them, I think the Big Earls are better.

No, everything mechanical in this country is a she. :wink: The Session's on my profile, as well, though the Women's frame does look cooler in my opinion. :tongue:

I'll be taking both, as well as the Lapierre given one of my friends hasn't got a bike at the moment due to his Gambler breaking. Another friend of mine is also taking his new Commencal Downhill D3; I haven't had a chance to demo it yet so that will be shredded. :colone:

Went riding with a friend from work for the first time on Sunday; he's got a B1 I think it was called. Big chunky frame, but man it was actually a really nice bike. Would like to see how it shreds Leogang, Whinlatter is a XC track so it'll be good to get these bikes back in their elements.

Fair enough.

You still have too many bikes. You should share them with us :wink:

I need to head out to France or Whistler one day, even if its just with a camera. Too many plans and not enough time or money to do it all!

It was Mountain Mayhem last weekend, looks a little wet...

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
TdF prologue today!

Come on Bradley. What's the chances of him going into yellow today, and staying in yellow for the remainder of the tour? Yeah unlikely......Cancellara FTW today.
Reply 4378
Original post by Né Stig
TdF prologue today!

Come on Bradley. What's the chances of him going into yellow today, and staying in yellow for the remainder of the tour? Yeah unlikely......Cancellara FTW today.

You doing a fantasy league thing for TdF?
Original post by Roobsa
You doing a fantasy league thing for TdF?

Yes. road.cc is what I'm signed up to. As an avid cycling nut, I have to say, I didn't even know every domestique, but now, I know every single rider in the TdF, their strengths and weaknesses. It's a good way of familiarising yourself with the jobs of DS's.

Latest