The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I'm thinking about buying a bike within the next few months, any opinions on the Apollo Kanyon Mountain Bike 22?
Rakas21
I'm thinking about buying a bike within the next few months, any opinions on the Apollo Kanyon Mountain Bike 22?

Firstly, I'd never go with Apollo. They come with very, very poor stock parts, and the frames and rims just aren't upto anything.

What kind of riding will you be doing? I'm assuming mountain, but what sort of level? Hard, mediocre, soft?

At any rate, I wouldn't suggest an Apollo.

What's your money-mark? I can recommend the Specialized Hardrock. That was my bike of 4 years, and it never let me down! Its a hard-tail, but it comes with good stock parts, and plenty of oppertunity for up-grade.

They're around £300 odd.
Reply 582
I want a bike that i can use on both tarmac and rough terrain, i am a begginer so i do not know much about bikes. Price wise, under £500, i just went on the Halfords website for the Appolo.
Rakas21
I want a bike that i can use on both tarmac and rough terrain, i am a begginer so i do not know much about bikes. Price wise, under £500, i just went on the Halfords website for the Appolo.

How "rough" are you looking at terrain-wise? Dirt trails, small jumps, roots & rocks?

If you ever need any other help after this, feel free to PM me or ask on here. :smile:

But yeah, how rough are you looking at?
Went up to Haldon Hill trail this morning, was better than I thought it was going to be (judging from some of the reviews on the net haha), probably be better when they've finished the rest of it off, making it harder would be a bonus as some of it's a bit pants, managed to scrape up my leg but yeah good time :yy:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 585
DH-Biker
How "rough" are you looking at terrain-wise? Dirt trails, small jumps, roots & rocks?

If you ever need any other help after this, feel free to PM me or ask on here. :smile:

But yeah, how rough are you looking at?

Both dirt tracks and rocky terrain, i won't be doing jumps and tricks though, its primarily for exercise, must be able to accomodate me though, i'm 6 foot 4.
Rakas21
Both dirt tracks and rocky terrain, i won't be doing jumps and tricks though, its primarily for exercise, must be able to accomodate me though, i'm 6 foot 4.

Right, you're going to want a Hardrock, then.
Specialized Hardrock bikes are practical, the stock parts are good, and there's plenty of room for improvement if you feel the need.
I'd upgrade the rims, (given time) and the brakes. Again, you can do all that if you want or need too.

Size wise, you're looking at a 19.5"
That's accomodating a 34" leg, however.
If its longer then that, (I'm 6'5 and a 36 -and I ride a 20") you may want a 20" one.

Either way, I hope this helps, mate! :smile: Definitely go with the Hardrock. You can upgrade the forks should you wish too, if you're finding the current ones aren't giving the "plush" ride you want.

Any other questions about biking, like I said, message me or something. :smile: Always happy to help a fellow biker. :biggrin:
Experienced my first demi serious road rage were the driver attempted to mow me down so I then rode bang centre on the road in front of him as slow as possible.

Was no need for his rage it was a quiet and slow moving road. If I had any liquid left I would have squirted it through his wondow .... sticky energy gunk!
Reply 588
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewer.asp?categoryID=60

Is there a particular model you would reccomend?
Rakas21
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewer.asp?categoryID=60

Is there a particular model you would reccomend?

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=24721&categoryID=60

That one. When I had mine, it had V-Brakes, and not Disc. And whereas I use Hydro now, Disc's will do the same job.

That's pretty much perfect for what you need. :smile:
DeanK22
Experienced my first demi serious road rage were the driver attempted to mow me down so I then rode bang centre on the road in front of him as slow as possible.

Was no need for his rage it was a quiet and slow moving road. If I had any liquid left I would have squirted it through his wondow .... sticky energy gunk!

Haha, I was biking back from work once, and I had my full-face on and I heard this guy beep at me. I had done nothing wrong, was biking the same route I had countless times and I'd never had a problem. This guy was just in that mood where one feels the need to be an *******, basically.

It was quite, so I stopped, put my bike across the road, walked back towards him, tapped on the window he rolled it down and all I said was, "Is there a problem here matey, is there?"

I think the fact he wasn't expecting someone to do that, the fact I'm 6'5 and quite broad and that there were two cars behind him who'd just pulled up made him drive off without answering. He even carefully navigated around my bike, what a gentelmen! :biggrin:

You do get some ******* arrogant people on the roads, though.
Reply 591
Serentonin
Went up to Haldon Hill trail this morning, was better than I thought it was going to be (judging from some of the reviews on the net haha), probably be better when they've finished the rest of it off, making it harder would be a bonus as some of it's a bit pants, managed to scrape up my leg but yeah good time :yy:

I cycled past Exeter today =) Went to Cheriton Bishop if that rings a bell then back through Exeter out eastwards towards home.

You know what, I think most of us cyclists on here are from Devon!
(edited 13 years ago)
What Mountain Bike magazine recommends the Carerra Fury at £550 rrp and the Decathlon Rockrider at £500 - these they rate the highest in their 'Value' price bracket. Bikes like these are coming on leaps and bounds and really catching up with some of the big brands.

I'd personally suggest you find any friends or friends dads who mountain bike and seek their advice - they might even be able to steer you towards something good second hand. Don't forget to budget for a helmet, clothing, lights and bike security as well. Oh - learning how to fix it yourself should be on your list of things to do.
RyanT
I cycled past Exeter today =) Went to Cheriton Bishop if that rings a bell then back through Exeter out eastwards towards home.

You know what, I think most of us cyclists on here are from Devon!

Ahh awesome, yeah I've got a friend who lives near Cheriton :smile: Whereabouts do you live? I've just moved to Exeter so trying to explore good places to cycle :yep:
Reply 594
ProStacker
What Mountain Bike magazine recommends the Carerra Fury at £550 rrp and the Decathlon Rockrider at £500 - these they rate the highest in their 'Value' price bracket. Bikes like these are coming on leaps and bounds and really catching up with some of the big brands.

I'd personally suggest you find any friends or friends dads who mountain bike and seek their advice - they might even be able to steer you towards something good second hand. Don't forget to budget for a helmet, clothing, lights and bike security as well. Oh - learning how to fix it yourself should be on your list of things to do.

How much would you say the helmet, pads and one of those yellow high vis things are?
ProStacker

Well, in the world of MTB, DH and FR - Carerra spells 'DOOM', and they aren't (even within the cheap, low-end bracket) catching on. :wink: The market is still dominated massively by brands such as Giant, Specialized, Kona, Commencal, Lapierre, De Vinci and Marin. Carerra bikes are maybe useful if you're going to ride them on flat, level surfaces, (and even then you have problems with the stock parts). It falls down to the low-end spec and the ridiculed along with manufacturers like Apollo and so called "Aldi & Wall-Mart Bikes".

I wouldn't recommend Carerra or Apollo to anyone. Simply put, they aren't good bikes. The best low-end bikes are Specialized Hardrocks and Giant Brass's. You can dig around and find the odd gem, but mostly its just discarding crap to the trolleys.
Rakas21
How much would you say the helmet, pads and one of those yellow high vis things are?

Depends entirely where you shop.

Every "good" biker goes here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

If you want something bike, bike-manufacturer or bike-orientated related, go here. :wink:

CRC is the biggest online-shop of biking parts and kit in the world. They've even got their own World Cup team, haha!
DH-Biker
Well, in the world of MTB, DH and FR - Carerra spells 'DOOM', and they aren't (even within the cheap, low-end bracket) catching on. :wink: The market is still dominated massively by brands such as Giant, Specialized, Kona, Commencal, Lapierre, De Vinci and Marin. Carerra bikes are maybe useful if you're going to ride them on flat, level surfaces, (and even then you have problems with the stock parts). It falls down to the low-end spec and the ridiculed along with manufacturers like Apollo and so called "Aldi & Wall-Mart Bikes".

I wouldn't recommend Carerra or Apollo to anyone. Simply put, they aren't good bikes. The best low-end bikes are Specialized Hardrocks and Giant Brass's. You can dig around and find the odd gem, but mostly its just discarding crap to the trolleys.

I'd agree on a DH or other specific frame. However, for a XC mountain bike there is nothing wrong with the Carerra mentioned. If you are pitching your limited and very biased personal views as better than a national magazine, crack on. However, you've seen the name and not bothered looking at the bike I referred to. Are you going to rubbish the Boardman branded bikes because that isn't a big name and Halfords sell them? Despite their reviews being glowing as well? Carerra frames are fine and not to be compared with Apollo. We're talking a £500 bike here - not a Lapierre Spicy. Get off your high horse. If you want to talk high end bikes we can, but we're talking good value entry bikes here.

Even Bikeradar likes it. Good enough for you?:

Bikeradar review
(edited 13 years ago)
ProStacker
I'd agree on a DH or other specific frame. However, for a XC mountain bike there is nothing wrong with the Carerra mentioned. If you are pitching your limited and very biased personal views as better than a national magazine, crack on. However, you've seen the name and not bothered looking at the bike I referred to. Are you going to rubbish the Boardman branded bikes because that isn't a big name and Halfords sell them? Despite their reviews being glowing as well? Carerra frames are fine and not to be compared with Apollo. We're talking a £500 bike here - not a Lapierre Spicy. Get off your high horse. If you want to talk high end bikes we can, but we're talking good value entry bikes here.

Even Bikeradar likes it. Good enough for you?:

Bikeradar review

Well, I was going to write a whole list of reasons why.

Instead:

- My history with Carreras isn't good.
- Everyone I know who has owned one, hasn't had a good experiance with them either.
- I'll take experiance, and the word of riders on webistes like Pinkbike, MTBR and Grounded over what manufacturer reviews say.

I could give you a whole essay, but its Monday morning, and I truly can't be arsed.
However, just accept that Carreras, any model, aren't good for anything other then very, very light XC, road and breaking. Even the Banshee, a full-suspension bike, snaps like a twig. Chris had one, and the suspension mech on the rear just snapped when he hit a four foot jump - Harldy the standard you should expect.
Yet another rear wheel puncture. Happened when I was out riding yesterday :rolleyes: Only did 5 miles in the end because I didn't want to risk another puncture as I no longer had a spare inner tube with me!

Replaced with new inner tube, tried pumping it up but to no avail. My pump appears not to work. I was lucky that a passing cyclist stopped and pumped up my wheel for me :cool:

Going back to the store where I got the pump from to ask them how the damn thing works.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger :cool:

Latest