The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by excal9
Hey, I just thought I'd ask a quick question to any of you currently at university. What do you do about pedals? I mean I currently use clipless but I could see that being an issue riding to lectures etc? Just asking as when I go I'll be looking to possibley ride to lectures as well as to train. Thanks :smile:

Depends what clipless you've got tbh, I can use the other side of my spd-sls acceptably well with normal shoes, it's not great but my journey to unis only about 15 mins.
Reply 7981
Original post by Serentonin
Depends what clipless you've got tbh, I can use the other side of my spd-sls acceptably well with normal shoes, it's not great but my journey to unis only about 15 mins.

I use look keos, it won't be a particularly long ride and I won't be racing so I reckon it'll be ok
Original post by hellodave5

I am a little worried about getting used to riding on the roads with no experience (though I do have a drivers liscence), I'm hoping its not too difficult alongside the big scary cars.

as long as you're not in a major city it isn't as difficult as you think, just be very clear on everything you do (e.g. indicate clearly and early) and aware of your limitations and don't do anything you aren't comfortable with (e.g. try and go round a busy 2 lane roundabout on your first day)
Original post by doodle_333
as long as you're not in a major city it isn't as difficult as you think, just be very clear on everything you do (e.g. indicate clearly and early) and aware of your limitations and don't do anything you aren't comfortable with (e.g. try and go round a busy 2 lane roundabout on your first day)

I'm in london so I guess I'll be learning the hard way

Posted fromTSR Mobile

Sheffield is a fairly large city, roads can be busy and are extremely hilly.
Limitations... indicate... confidence... gotcha! :smile:
Original post by mahad1912
I'm in london so I guess I'll be learning the hard way

Posted fromTSR Mobile

Haha join the club! I'm in East London, where abouts are you??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KrishanC93
Haha join the club! I'm in East London, where abouts are you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in north london most of my long rides are to regents parks and then laps around the outer circle.

What's your Strava?

Posted fromTSR Mobile
Reply 7987
Good luck with that! Are you out training with a club or something?

Yeah I was out there with my club.

Back home now though but yesterday was the big one. Without a doubt the hardest day I've ever spent on the bike but it was so worth the pain. The satisfaction of seeing the finish line after 193 miles was something else. We even had a sprint between us at the finish and I managed to win that! Everything about this week was exactly what I wanted and needed from a holiday.

http://www.strava.com/activities/134432741
Original post by Roobsa
Yeah I was out there with my club.

Back home now though but yesterday was the big one. Without a doubt the hardest day I've ever spent on the bike but it was so worth the pain. The satisfaction of seeing the finish line after 193 miles was something else. We even had a sprint between us at the finish and I managed to win that! Everything about this week was exactly what I wanted and needed from a holiday.

http://www.strava.com/activities/134432741

I saw your post on /r/bicycling last night. :colondollar: How did you maintain that average with those climbs?!
Original post by mahad1912
I'm in north london most of my long rides are to regents parks and then laps around the outer circle.

What's your Strava?

Posted fromTSR Mobile

I've done a couple of laps around there too. It's great fun. I'll pm you a link. Fancy a ride sometime?? :P
Reply 7990
I saw your post on /r/bicycling last night. :colondollar: How did you maintain that average with those climbs?!

I think our average after the mountains was 16mph. We had a really strong group of riders and with 150km of pretty much flat/rolling road after the mountains, we were absolutely flying. The climbing was fairly steady. Nothing too steep, just long climbs that you just get into a rhythm and grind it out. The hardest part was dealing with the fatigue in the lower back and arse. I spent a lot of time in a big gear out of the saddle because it eased up some of the tightness.
Just after some advice. Sorry if you also see this post on the running page, just would like to hear from both groups.

So I have my first marathon on the 6th August and a biggish charity ride on the 22nd June. I will be starting a training programme soon for the marathon but will also like yo keep up the kms on the bike each week so I was wondering whether anyone has any advice on how to keep the two up? Or whether anyone does this or has done before?

For me, it is either use the rest days (2 or 3 per week) to ride or swap some of the shorter runs for rides.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7992
Original post by bobsta10
Just after some advice. Sorry if you also see this post on the running page, just would like to hear from both groups.

So I have my first marathon on the 6th August and a biggish charity ride on the 22nd June. I will be starting a training programme soon for the marathon but will also like yo keep up the kms on the bike each week so I was wondering whether anyone has any advice on how to keep the two up? Or whether anyone does this or has done before?

For me, it is either use the rest days (2 or 3 per week) to ride or swap some of the shorter runs for rides.

You're probably going to need more running time than you will for the ride. I'd suggest doing shorter rides but at a higher intensity. Spend an hour and a half/2 hours really going hard, don't avoid hills. Shorter, harder efforts will be better than 4-5 hour not so hard rides. What's the distance?
Original post by bobsta10

Posted from TSR Mobile

havent done a marathon but trained back up to half marathon distance while cycling a decent amount, I agree you need to put in the time running wise or you wont condition your bones etc and will get injured more easily, however that's not to say you can't do 1 long run, 1 other run, 1 day where you knock a few miles off your run and cycle too (if you cycle then run I find you progress well anyway as you're running when already tired so you train your legs for those last few miles), 2 days cycling (one hard, one easy) and you still have 2 days off a week :smile: personally I've found I'm much more injury resistant training this way as your fitness is much higher as you're doing a lot of cycling too but your body isn't having to cope with quite so much impact
Original post by Roobsa
You're probably going to need more running time than you will for the ride. I'd suggest doing shorter rides but at a higher intensity. Spend an hour and a half/2 hours really going hard, don't avoid hills. Shorter, harder efforts will be better than 4-5 hour not so hard rides. What's the distance?

Ah the ride is only 100km. Don't need to do any training for it, just need to try and keep the legs ticking over whilst training for the marathon too whilst trying not to burn myself out each week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
havent done a marathon but trained back up to half marathon distance while cycling a decent amount, I agree you need to put in the time running wise or you wont condition your bones etc and will get injured more easily, however that's not to say you can't do 1 long run, 1 other run, 1 day where you knock a few miles off your run and cycle too (if you cycle then run I find you progress well anyway as you're running when already tired so you train your legs for those last few miles), 2 days cycling (one hard, one easy) and you still have 2 days off a week :smile: personally I've found I'm much more injury resistant training this way as your fitness is much higher as you're doing a lot of cycling too but your body isn't having to cope with quite so much impact

Cheers for that. The programme only includes 3 or 4 runs a week (1 long, 2 or 3 shorter/recovery) so maybe going with your idea and swapping out one of the shorter runs and then putting another ride in there would work with a couple of days off per week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7996

ahhhh, no wind. so perfect.
I'm having a bit of an issue with my bike, and I was hoping someone could help me...

When I pedal, there's a loud clunk sound only on the left pedal. I can actually feel something move/shake/twitch on the pedal/under my left foot. It happens every full rotation of the left pedal without fail.

However, this only seems to happen when I put weight on the pedal. When I pedaled with only my right leg/pedal, there wasn't any clunking sound. When I turned the bike over (wheels in the air) and spun the bike's left pedal round with my hand, there wasn't any sound...

This doesn't seem to affect my ride in any way - it doesn't slow me down - but it's a bit unnerving... The bike is around 5 months old, and it's used for commuting, so mainly sticks to the road (it's a hybrid).

Has anyone else had the same issue? Or would anyone be able to advise me on what I should do?

I've applied lots of oil to it in an attempt to resolve the issue...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7998
Original post by Kagutsuchi
I'm having a bit of an issue with my bike, and I was hoping someone could help me...

When I pedal, there's a loud clunk sound only on the left pedal. I can actually feel something move/shake/twitch on the pedal/under my left foot. It happens every full rotation of the left pedal without fail.

However, this only seems to happen when I put weight on the pedal. When I pedaled with only my right leg/pedal, there wasn't any clunking sound. When I turned the bike over (wheels in the air) and spun the bike's left pedal round with my hand, there wasn't any sound...

This doesn't seem to affect my ride in any way - it doesn't slow me down - but it's a bit unnerving... The bike is around 5 months old, and I've rode it's used for commuting, so mainly sticks to the road (it's a hybrid).

Has anyone else had the same issue? Or would anyone be able to advise me on what I should do?

I've applied lots of oil to it in an attempt to resolve the issue...

Sounds to me like its a bad or broken bearing in the pedal spindle. Depending on the pedal it may be possible to take it apart to replace the bearing, otherwise I'd just replace the pedals full stop.

Have you dropped the bike on the pedal, knocked it, or had an accident?

As it's only the left pedal it shouldn't be the bottom bracket, and I can't think of anything else that would cause it, unless it's a clipless pedal and the cleat is loose or something like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
Sounds to me like its a bad or broken bearing in the pedal spindle. Depending on the pedal it may be possible to take it apart to replace the bearing, otherwise I'd just replace the pedals full stop.

Have you dropped the bike on the pedal, knocked it, or had an accident?

As it's only the left pedal it shouldn't be the bottom bracket, and I can't think of anything else that would cause it, unless it's a clipless pedal and the cleat is loose or something like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might have knocked the pedals into things from time to time, but nothing stands out in my mind.

Well it's good to hear it might only be the pedals - I was worried there was something seriously wrong which would eventually lead to my bike falling apart during rush hour. :tongue:

The pedal is a factory standard cheap black resin pedals. If it's not dangerously faulty (in that the pedal won't snap off while I'm overtaking a lorry) then I guess I'll stick with it until I get too annoyed.

Latest