The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Loat
It takes me the same time in the morning to do 13 miles across rural A-roads followed by 2 miles in town on my bike as in my car. It would be far faster by bike if there were proper cycle paths at any point on the route.

Same. I can cycle from home to uni in the mornings in the same time it takes the bus, and sometimes faster. And this is on a terrible/old bike which was already a mess when given to me for free about 10 years ago. Bus generally takes anywhere from 45-85 mins depending on traffic, cycling takes about 45 mins at a medium/slow'ish speed.

It's just the the fact that there are a lot roundabouts and busy roads which puts me off, as well as the ***** who park on the little bike lanes there are, meaning you have to go in the middle of the road. Also don't like the idea of riding home in the dark.
Thank god I'm about to start uni soon, haven't ridden in ages. Current bike needs repairs that costs 60% of how much I bought it for originally (£100 if you're interested Trax tr1 mountain bike).

Will be upgrading to my first road bike. So my budget is £500 for the bike + £100 for accessories. Any recommendations a to which I should get as my first road bike? I was looking at the Carerra virtuoso 2015 model, any thoughts?

Posted fromTSR Mobile
Original post by mahad1912
Thank god I'm about to start uni soon, haven't ridden in ages. Current bike needs repairs that costs 60% of how much I bought it for originally (£100 if you're interested Trax tr1 mountain bike).

Will be upgrading to my first road bike. So my budget is £500 for the bike + £100 for accessories. Any recommendations a to which I should get as my first road bike? I was looking at the Carerra virtuoso 2015 model, any thoughts?

Posted fromTSR Mobile

My cousin recently bought the Triban3 (I think) comes with Shimano Sora components and carbon forks around £400 (I think). It is quite heavy compared to my bike though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uni starting this month, means less time for riding. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KrishanC93
Uni starting this month, means less time for riding. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cycling soc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Went for my first ride in months last night after work and decided to record it on Strava. The GPS trace from my android was so bad though I'm considering getting a Garmin to record my rides. Is this likely to improve GPS quality and which would you recommend?

http://www.strava.com/activities/191263228 really small ride but I didn't have much time and my last ride resulted in an asthma attack!

Would like to get back into doing longer rides but struggling to think of a way to fit it in with aesthetic bodybuilding..
Woohoo! I've completed 1000 miles cycling. Think I survived better than the bike did. Bell came off on a flat road and reflector also.
Original post by cdoyle
Woohoo! I've completed 1000 miles cycling. Think I survived better than the bike did. Bell came off on a flat road and reflector also.

Good work.

Think I'm finally close to getting my bike back to good working order. I reset the pistons on the rear hydraulic brake, bled it, replaced the pad retaining spring and something still wasn't feeling right with the lever action. The cheapest way to get the retaining springs was to get it with brake pads on eBay. Not sure the pads were any good. Probably not. In the end I also decide to throw the pads in today and the lever action seems great now. Dead on. But it isn't quite there yet. Got squeaky brakes so I'm gonna take a look tomorrow and I think either the rotor might need a clean or the pads just need bedding. Was also hearing and feeling a rattling and couldn't quite figure out where that was coming from at first. Haven't been able to do anything for 3 weeks and before then I wasn't riding it until I'd got it fixed and had been mucking about with the retaining springs because I noticed how badly bent the rear one was before I replaced it so I might have thrown in the worst retaining spring into the front calliper and forgotten about it so gonna look into that too then it's just aesthetic touchups - want to replace some cable outter because it's split. I dunno, I'll take a look but brakes are my priority which seem close to being resolved now which is great.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alexs2602
Good work.

Think I'm finally close to getting my bike back to good working order. I reset the pistons on the rear hydraulic brake, bled it, replaced the pad retaining spring and something still wasn't feeling right with the lever action. The cheapest way to get the retaining springs was to get it with brake pads on eBay. Not sure the pads were any good. Probably not. In the end I also decide to throw the pads in today and the lever action seems great now. Dead on. But it isn't quite there yet. Got squeaky brakes so I'm gonna take a look tomorrow and I think either the rotor might need a clean or the pads just need bedding. Was also hearing and feeling a rattling and couldn't quite figure out where that was coming from at first. Haven't been able to do anything for 3 weeks and before then I wasn't riding it until I'd got it fixed and had been mucking about with the retaining springs because I noticed how badly bent the rear one was before I replaced it so I might have thrown in the worst retaining spring into the front calliper and forgotten about it so gonna look into that too then it's just aesthetic touchups - want to replace some cable outter because it's split. I dunno, I'll take a look but brakes are my priority which seem close to being resolved now which is great.

That level of bike fixing is what I want to reach one day. Maybe even be able to put my own bike together straight out the box...Who knows? Just wishful thinking for now

Posted fromTSR Mobile
Good work.

What kind of riding do you do? I don't want to rain on your parade, but if you're looking for perfect lever feel you're probably never going to achieve it with budget brakes.
That level of bike fixing is what I want to reach one day. Maybe even be able to put my own bike together straight out the box...Who knows? Just wishful thinking for now

Trust me, I'm not that good. Just searching how to fix problems and asking other people if I can't figure it out. Some things are really easy, some I made a real mess of so I'm nowhere near good. Don't think I could claim to be able to completely put my bike together. Derailleurs can be a real pain. Depends on your bike a bit. Other problems are much easier than you'd think. Sometimes something isn't that bad, you just need a bit of practice before you can do it easily. Google, google, google and frustration.

Original post by pjm600
What kind of riding do you do? I don't want to rain on your parade, but if you're looking for perfect lever feel you're probably never going to achieve it with budget brakes.

Oh, no, I just wanted it to feel as firm as the front brake is all. It hadn't been feeling as firm and I think one of the factors was the worn brake pad but bleeding it, replacing the retaining spring and resetting the pistons didn't hurt. Not expecting tons, working my way up and hoping to upgrade/replace bits and bobs as and when I need to and can afford to. I haven't got a top notch bike so I might ask around when I think I can afford to upgrade and what other people would advise.
Trust me, I'm not that good. Just searching how to fix problems and asking other people if I can't figure it out. Some things are really easy, some I made a real mess of so I'm nowhere near good. Don't think I could claim to be able to completely put my bike together. Derailleurs can be a real pain. Depends on your bike a bit. Other problems are much easier than you'd think. Sometimes something isn't that bad, you just need a bit of practice before you can do it easily. Google, google, google and frustration.

I can do the basics like replace a tyre, repair a puncture change brake pads too. But once I tried fixing my rear hub when it got totalled and I completely messed it up.

You're right though, it's a lot of practice, googling and frustration (emphasis is on the last one lol).

Posted fromTSR Mobile
I can do the basics like replace a tyre, repair a puncture change brake pads too. But once I tried fixing my rear hub when it got totalled and I completely messed it up.

You're right though, it's a lot of practice, googling and frustration (emphasis is on the last one lol).

Posted fromTSR Mobile

What happened to the rear hub? Regreasing bearings can take a little practice - getting the cones on at the right tightness. Relubing the chain is pretty easy though - you should try to learn how to do that. You can clean the cassette, chainrings/chainset and jockey wheels on the rear derailleur at the same time. I do that a few times a year. I found adjusting the limiters on the rear derailleur not too bad, think I did that right. Something you need to be careful about is poor quality metals; I use hex keys, phillips, torx tools and if I twist it too hard the metal can give a bit and you'll need to replace the tool or bolt.
What happened to the rear hub? Regreasing bearings can take a little practice - getting the cones on at the right tightness. Relubing the chain is pretty easy though - you should try to learn how to do that. You can clean the cassette, chainrings/chainset and jockey wheels on the rear derailleur at the same time. I do that a few times a year. I found adjusting the limiters on the rear derailleur not too bad, think I did that right. Something you need to be careful about is poor quality metals; I use hex keys, phillips, torx tools and if I twist it too hard the metal can give a bit and you'll need to replace the tool or bolt.

It got crushed. And I thought I could just put it back in place by straightening it out a bit 😂.

I can relive the chain but when it comes to cleaning the cassette, chainrings/chainset and jockey wheels on the rear derailleur I'm hopeless as I've never done it before. I always thought I could just use a power spray to wash the rear derailleur when it wasn't in top condition.

Posted fromTSR Mobile
It got crushed. And I thought I could just put it back in place by straightening it out a bit 😂.

I can relive the chain but when it comes to cleaning the cassette, chainrings/chainset and jockey wheels on the rear derailleur I'm hopeless as I've never done it before. I always thought I could just use a power spray to wash the rear derailleur when it wasn't in top condition.

Posted fromTSR Mobile

Warm water and a toothbrush will clean all over it. Avoid jet washers etc, they force water to go where it shouldn't (bearings).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted fromTSR Mobile

I use a claw brush like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-claw-brush-1/ Does a reasonable job.
Reply 8416
Having replaced my internal gear cabling today, I can safely say that internally routed frames are stupid and I hate them all. First time I've changed the cables though so pretty pleased I did it and then managed to get the front and rear derailleurs working. I guess the test will be riding it tomorrow.

Also took apart the entire drivetrain and gave it a thorough clean, even taking the bottom bracket out and regreasing everything. The best degreaser I've found are spray cans. The Muc Off one is great.
Original post by Roobsa
internally routed frames are stupid and I hate them all.

Lol.

Original post by Roobsa
I did it and then managed to get the front and rear derailleurs working. I guess the test will be riding it tomorrow.

Good luck with that, sometimes it works like a dream, other times not so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
joining the university cycling club this year :biggrin:
Original post by lilGem
joining the university cycling club this year :biggrin:

What uni you going to?

Is it like part of a society or..? I can't find one for Queen Mary uni.

Posted fromTSR Mobile

Latest