The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, biking plans this year:

I think I'll swap out my Lapierre for the the new V-10 Carbon. :colone:

I may also sell my Orange, and use the money from that to buy a set of Fox 40 2011s. Stick them up on it and create a POWER horse of DH. :wink: I've got the white set on my Trek which are a dedicated pair that come with all Session 88 2011s, and I bought up another 2011 and 2010 to put on my Gambler and Lapierre respectively. Absolutely the BEST forks I've ever rode.

Grab a Cane Creek Double Barrel to stick on the V-10C too, with a nice Ti spring. :wink:

Offt, it'll be surweet. :colondollar:

My all-mountain Commencal Meta 6.3 I may swap out for the new Cube Hanzz Pro 2011. Which are just lovely! And it'll be an awesome ride to shred a fell with. :colondollar:

Still, money, money, money. :redface: I should have enough, but it'll be hard letting go of the Orange and 920. :frown: Especially the Orange, which I'm thinking of keeping and working up / winning the rest. It was a gift from my first team, after all.
Reply 1381
Original post by DH-Biker
Its nice to see Lapierre on the up again. I'm going to sell my Velo DH-920, though.

As long as they were competant riders, its ok. At least they weren't retarded in bikes, or anything.

One guy on a show said that Apollo bikes were really good, and up there with Trek, Santa Cruz, Orange, Lapierre, Scott, Intense, etc.

I almost walked to the studio and punched him. :mad:

Ah, gotta love Apollo bikes :tongue: had one of those bad boys in red, full sus and everything! :lol: sold it to my mate who didn't have a bike for a tenner, felt bad for overcharging him!

I may also sell my Orange, and use the money from that to buy a set of Fox 40 2011s. Stick them up on it and create a POWER horse of DH. :wink: I've got the white set on my Trek which are a dedicated pair that come with all Session 88 2011s, and I bought up another 2011 and 2010 to put on my Gambler and Lapierre respectively. Absolutely the BEST forks I've ever rode.

Grab a Cane Creek Double Barrel to stick on the V-10C too, with a nice Ti spring. :wink:

My all-mountain Commencal Meta 6.3 I may swap out for the new Cube Hanzz Pro 2011. Which are just lovely! And it'll be an awesome ride to shred a fell with. :colondollar:

Still, money, money, money. :redface: I should have enough, but it'll be hard letting go of the Orange and 920. :frown: Especially the Orange, which I'm thinking of keeping and working up / winning the rest. It was a gift from my first team, after all.

Yeah that's quite an expensive list of goodies :tongue: Where do you keep your bikes? Are you at uni or what? I assume not if you're racing professionally and having all those awesome bikes. I've got my Kona Shred '06 and proud :tongue: haha!
Reply 1382

Since when did all mountain bikes have 190mm of travel?!! :eek: Have DH bikes got over 250mm travel yet?

Keep the Orange!! Nothing better than a simple heavy swing arm and only 1 pivot :biggrin:

I'd love to see you try and fit all your bikes in a uni halls room :tongue:
Original post by dhr90
Since when did all mountain bikes have 190mm of travel?!! :eek: Have DH bikes got over 250mm travel yet?

Keep the Orange!! Nothing better than a simple heavy swing arm and only 1 pivot :biggrin:

I'd love to see you try and fit all your bikes in a uni halls room :tongue:

Haha! You're behind the times. :wink: That Cube is just... Ooft. :wink: It climbs like a daemon, too. :colone: And will take DH in its stride. :cool: Perfect XC/DH/FR/AM bike. :biggrin:

You can get rear-sus options for 250mm. And I think there is some German-made Fork that is 260mm front travell. Which makes the bike look like a chopper, and it ruins the geo. But for Red Bull Rampage; perfect. :colone: I'll try and find a pic. :cool:

Yeah, I think I will keep it. Aside from it being a clunky ****er, and cornering like its on rails, it has emotional value. :redface:

Haha! I'd pack them all together and leave myself a tiny area to crawl into a feotus position. And just have THAT as my Uni room if I went. :smile:
Original post by tface
Ah, gotta love Apollo bikes :tongue: had one of those bad boys in red, full sus and everything! :lol: sold it to my mate who didn't have a bike for a tenner, felt bad for overcharging him!

Yeah that's quite an expensive list of goodies :tongue: Where do you keep your bikes? Are you at uni or what? I assume not if you're racing professionally and having all those awesome bikes. I've got my Kona Shred '06 and proud :tongue: haha!

Got to love them? :tongue: In that way that only a mother (or Manager) could love. :rolleyes: Stupid bikes. My mate had one before he got a decent DH bike, and the ****ing thing weighed more then all my bikes together. Literally lifting it over a style took a crane for **** sake. :mad:

Haha! A tenner? :colondollar: Well, can't beat that deal. :redface:

I keep them in a very, very secure feed-room that the Farmer lets us use. But you can't steal them, so its all good. :cool:

I'm not at Uni, no. Nor am I going. :smile: 6th Form, then done. I see no point in it, given my career choice. :colondollar:

Still; A Kona Shred. Its a good bike, actually. Another friend has one, and he loves it. It is robust, strong, nice spec and it works perfectly for XC (and surprisingly dirt-jumping).
I love working maintenence on those, as well. :wink: Nice and simple to take apart, clean, oil, trim and put back together. :biggrin:
Reply 1385
Got to love them? :tongue: In that way that only a mother (or Manager) could love. :rolleyes: Stupid bikes. My mate had one before he got a decent DH bike, and the ****ing thing weighed more then all my bikes together. Literally lifting it over a style took a crane for **** sake. :mad:

Haha! A tenner? :colondollar: Well, can't beat that deal. :redface:

I keep them in a very, very secure feed-room that the Farmer lets us use. But you can't steal them, so its all good. :cool:

I'm not at Uni, no. Nor am I going. :smile: 6th Form, then done. I see no point in it, given my career choice. :colondollar:

Still; A Kona Shred. Its a good bike, actually. Another friend has one, and he loves it. It is robust, strong, nice spec and it works perfectly for XC (and surprisingly dirt-jumping).
I love working maintenence on those, as well. :wink: Nice and simple to take apart, clean, oil, trim and put back together. :biggrin:

Btw I got confused there, it wasn't apollo as in the proper make of bikes it was like a toys r us/halfords style piece of junk :smile:.

Wow that sounds like a pretty good deal, friendly farmer = always useful :tongue:.

Robust and strong is definitely a good description, it isn't the lightest bike in the world :biggrin: Still I've put it round a few places like cwm carn and it managed, feels solid going down which is nice :smile:. I would love a really nice all mountain bike but I do not have that sort of cash, and I don't ride very often either.
Reply 1386
Haha! You're behind the times. :wink: That Cube is just... Ooft. :wink: It climbs like a daemon, too. :colone: And will take DH in its stride. :cool: Perfect XC/DH/FR/AM bike. :biggrin:

You can get rear-sus options for 250mm. And I think there is some German-made Fork that is 260mm front travell. Which makes the bike look like a chopper, and it ruins the geo. But for Red Bull Rampage; perfect. :colone: I'll try and find a pic. :cool:

Yeah, I think I will keep it. Aside from it being a clunky ****er, and cornering like its on rails, it has emotional value. :redface:

Haha! I'd pack them all together and leave myself a tiny area to crawl into a feotus position. And just have THAT as my Uni room if I went. :smile:

Now I just feel old! All Mountain ought to be 120-140mm bikes. Guess thats why I get so confused when looking up parts now...
Not quite perfect for XC really... depending what you take to be XC though...

I understand about it being clunky, my Saracen makes more noise than the space shuttle taking off :colondollar: also doesn't like to corner, need better tyres, damn being penniless student :frown:
My dad bought a new bike this week. Annoying thing is it's actually really nice, might even be better than my trek :frown: gutted haha.

So nice to be medically cleared to ride again, though I did a short 20 miles yesterday and almost died. I suck now.
Reply 1388
Just watched the bike test on the gadget show, Cannock Chase trails look as flat as everywhere in Essex! I like the look of that Trek, need a lottery win though I think :frown:

Interesting road/track bike, though are disc brakes really needed on road/track bikes?
Original post by tface
Btw I got confused there, it wasn't apollo as in the proper make of bikes it was like a toys r us/halfords style piece of junk :smile:.

Wow that sounds like a pretty good deal, friendly farmer = always useful :tongue:.

Robust and strong is definitely a good description, it isn't the lightest bike in the world :biggrin: Still I've put it round a few places like cwm carn and it managed, feels solid going down which is nice :smile:. I would love a really nice all mountain bike but I do not have that sort of cash, and I don't ride very often either.

Ahh, well Halfords' bikes aren't always that great, so still. :tongue:

Its nice to have a solid feeling bike under you. However, I like my bikes being around 38lbs. They mold to you, and you can literally make them extensions of your own body. I wouldn't like lighter bikes, for that reason among others.

Still, if you aren't riding that often, then there isn't need. I would suggest it as a future purchase, though. :wink:
Original post by dhr90
Now I just feel old! All Mountain ought to be 120-140mm bikes. Guess thats why I get so confused when looking up parts now...
Not quite perfect for XC really... depending what you take to be XC though...

I understand about it being clunky, my Saracen makes more noise than the space shuttle taking off :colondollar: also doesn't like to corner, need better tyres, damn being penniless student :frown:

Haha, you're only what, 20? I'm 18, you aren't that old. :wink:

You can drop the front suspension from 190, to 180, 160, 140, 120 and 100mm travel options. And immediately lock it out at that height. The rear sus I'll swap out for a Cane Creek, and spend an hour adjusting that to perfection. :colondollar:

I find I always run my suspension the same way regardless. Nice and bouncy, so it "chews" the ground. I love it like that. With a quick rebound, and that aids in jumping, but also immediately returns control.

I suppose our ideas of XC are different, perhaps. :tongue:

Still, as in my sig, that ride will feel perfect for you. And no bike will ever feel like that again. :tongue: In any case, its nice to have a bike like that. At least its tough. :cool:
Original post by Serentonin
My dad bought a new bike this week. Annoying thing is it's actually really nice, might even be better than my trek :frown: gutted haha.

So nice to be medically cleared to ride again, though I did a short 20 miles yesterday and almost died. I suck now.

What bike is it? And designed for what discipline?

20 miles is a leap from not riding. I remember going back on the bike after my bad accident; what usually took me 30 seconds took me 4 minutes.

I couldn't jump, rail it, etc. Felt awful being crap. :eek:

Still, 20 miles; that's a helluva run. :redface:
Original post by dhr90
Just watched the bike test on the gadget show, Cannock Chase trails look as flat as everywhere in Essex! I like the look of that Trek, need a lottery win though I think :frown:

Interesting road/track bike, though are disc brakes really needed on road/track bikes?

Good disc brakes, though expensive, are in a different league of stopping power to Vs.
I wouldn't go back to v-brakes now. Ever. I tried and it felt like I had to bottom the brakes to the grips in order to stop.

Then I go and ride my Avid Elixir CRs, and its just an immediate stop. I've made the front brake nice and squidgy now. And the back almost immediate. I don't really need to break on the fell run, though, as it flows into each section. So I find I don't need them all to often.

Still, running Elixir CRs would be an overkill option for a road-bike. :tongue:
Reply 1393
Good disc brakes, though expensive, are in a different league of stopping power to Vs.
I wouldn't go back to v-brakes now. Ever. I tried and it felt like I had to bottom the brakes to the grips in order to stop.

Then I go and ride my Avid Elixir CRs, and its just an immediate stop. I've made the front brake nice and squidgy now. And the back almost immediate. I don't really need to break on the fell run, though, as it flows into each section. So I find I don't need them all to often.

Still, running Elixir CRs would be an overkill option for a road-bike. :tongue:

I know that, but if that's the case, why don't all road bikes come with discs, even on the tour de france they use I think it was caliper brakes? Surely the minimal contact patch of tyre on the road means the extra power of discs would just lock the wheel up?
Original post by dhr90
I know that, but if that's the case, why don't all road bikes come with discs, even on the tour de france they use I think it was caliper brakes? Surely the minimal contact patch of tyre on the road means the extra power of discs would just lock the wheel up?

Hmm, this is true. Also, I doubt slick-less then an inch tires would withstand the friction build up if you braked on road that quickly.

Still, I'd like to see someone power housing at 30/40MPH only to lock up a rear wheel. Just to see what'd happen. :colone:

Saying that, though, the Tour de France guys will use top of the range v-brakes, and probably on carbon rims. You wouldn't need anymore, I wouldn't have thought. You aren't tearing across steep-declines on loose terrain.

I do love the smell of burning disc brakes, though.
(edited 13 years ago)
hi guys, sorry to intrude - had my bike nicked and am aware that if you guys are buying you're probably browsing ebay and gumtree so please, please, please may you keep an eye out for this?
http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12763923&highlight=
thanks. would mean so much to me to get it back.
Original post by shakedown1979
hi guys, sorry to intrude - had my bike nicked and am aware that if you guys are buying you're probably browsing ebay and gumtree so please, please, please may you keep an eye out for this?
http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12763923&highlight=
thanks. would mean so much to me to get it back.

Yeah, I'll keep an eye out for that.

Where did you leave it? / How was it nicked? / Etc?
Yeah, I'll keep an eye out for that.

Where did you leave it? / How was it nicked? / Etc?

left it locked to itself on cardigan street, jericho, in Oxford. kicking myself so hard about that. if i'd just taken it into the hallway..

nicked overnight. what these bastards don't realise is that a bike is not just monetary value. 18th birthday present ffs. really makes you lose faith in other people. i imagine they're wising up to ebay and gumtree and selling via car boot sales etc. instead. still, it might get put on ebay 6 months or so down the line.

thanks for your help.
Original post by shakedown1979
left it locked to itself on cardigan street, jericho, in Oxford. kicking myself so hard about that. if i'd just taken it into the hallway..

nicked overnight. what these bastards don't realise is that a bike is not just monetary value. 18th birthday present ffs. really makes you lose faith in other people. i imagine they're wising up to ebay and gumtree and selling via car boot sales etc. instead. still, it might get put on ebay 6 months or so down the line.

thanks for your help.

Have you had it tagged, chipped, stamped etc?

All my bikes have a stamp and a tracker in. It costs pennies for the former, and about £10-15 for a tracker; but its worth it.

Otherwise, give the Police a very detailed discription, and just hope there is something you can identify it with. Again, I leave pieces of paper within an opening that, should it be stolen and I called in to identify it, they can't argue as I'll just take the piece of paper out.

But yeah, I'll keep a sharp eye out. I've never had a bike stolen, but I can imagine it to be a fairly unpleaseant experience at best. :frown:
FML. Need to go on my turbo tonight but I just cannot be arsed. Busy weekend, especially Sunday.

20-25 mins of HIIT I reckon, with my mp3 player on.

Not done any exercise for a week now, ffs. And the motivation has again gone. But it will return :mad:

Latest