The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im 1/4 english, 1/4 welsh but liv ein england and i like the welsh.
i especially love their accents!
Reilly
Why do you think the sheep graze the side of mountains its almost impossible for humans to get up? :eek:

I'm sure there's a natural geographic explanation To get away from the Welshmen.
Reply 82
*pitseleh*
It's hardly naïve to have difficulty pronouncing the words of an unfamiliar language - I think it's quite nice that people bother to try, even if they do get it wrong. Yes, it probably sounds funny when people make mistakes, just as I'm sure I could entertain a French person endlessly with my horrendous pronunciation of French words... but however funny those mistakes might be, they don't deserve ridicule. :s-smilie:

True, I love how willing english people are, certainly the ones who live around me/who I work with/who I am friends with in fact 89% of English people who live in Wales, are to attempt to learn how to pronounce names properly, for some reason I know a lot of English people who find welsh culture and language quite fascinating....in fact they seem to find it quaint :biggrin: which is quite cool really.

Orielhistorian can you correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wasn't there a period towards the early-mid part of the 20th century where you welsh children were banned from speaking welsh in schools? Maybe thats why some people get so patriotic about the language?
oriel historian
Depends largely on where abouts in Wales you live. Certainly in the North West where the Welsh-speaking culture is strongest it will carry on for a good while; also lots of people who return disillusioned with life in England will tend to be more vocal about the differences. But the countryside is changing too, it's now more expensive to live there than in cities and the people who can afford to live there aren't the native Welsh but the rich English who will break down those xenophobic barriers. I do also forsee a return of the Meibion Glyndwr at some point in the near future because as the culture is threatened anew it will retaliate.

Let's be fair, though...

(a) the Gogs dislike those from South Wales as much as, if not more than, our English neighbours :p: and

(b) the majority of the Welsh population lives in South Wales, where - as mentioned above - I hear barely any anti-English sentiments from those around me. I accept that there are places elsewhere in Wales where the English are disliked rather a lot, but the OP suggested that "most" Welsh people "hate" the English, which simply isn't true.
Reilly
True, I love how willing english people are, certainly the ones who live around me/who I work with/who I am friends with in fact 89% of English people who live in Wales, are to attempt to learn how to pronounce names properly, for some reason I know a lot of English people who find welsh culture and language quite fascinating....in fact they seem to find it quaint :biggrin: which is quite cool really.

Aye, I've known quite a few English people who've settled in Wales and made more effort than most of the Welsh people I know to learn the language. That's why it annoys me when they get ridiculed for trying (I'd laugh at myself if I was struggling with a language, and I know my English friends have laughed at themselves when learning Welsh, but I didn't like the mocking tone of the post I quoted - that is all :smile:).
Reply 85
oooh i didnt mean it mockingly! i was laughing at the fact it was 'kill a baby'
just quite an unfortunate thing that it's happens to sound like that when you say it without the welsh phrasing
Reply 86
OP, you must think that the Welsh are being singled out, i honestly don't think anyone would say they "hate" the English or they "hate" the Welsh.

It's all down to the experiences individuals have had with certain individuals from another country.

I'd be lying if i said i've never come across an ignorant, racist Englishman, but that doesn't mean i hate the English, and it hasn't led me to believe that all the English hate the Scots.

You will get a bunch of ignorant ******s in every country but luckily they are always in the miniority.

I think what goes on in the UK is nothing more than friendly rivalry in general, and nothing to be taken to seriously.
Reply 87
The accent is sexay :hubba:

The welsh people I've met have been really nice so have nothing against them.

It seems like a lot of countries are quite anti english, especially when it comes to sport, I guess we just have to take it on the chin :flute:
Reilly

Orielhistorian can you correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wasn't there a period towards the early-mid part of the 20th century where you welsh children were banned from speaking welsh in schools? Maybe thats why some people get so patriotic about the language?

Well there was never a systematic 'ban' on welsh being spoken in schools but certainly there was a long running view that it was barbaric and backward and could never lead to progress and civilisation. For the wide-spread disemination of that view you can thank Matthew Arnold! The 'Welsh Not' is somewhat a symbolic legend too, though as with all legends there is some truth in it. If you read through the wonderful series on the social history of the language you will see that it survived right through to the twentieth century and what ultimately did it a disservice was families in South Wales choosing not to pass on knowledge of Welsh to their children, which combined with the english-medium county schools severed two generations of people from the language.

The person we should thank for rescuing Welsh as a language - at least in English eyes - is J R R Tolkein, who wrote a brilliant essay on its merits and virtues. In fact Sindarin, one of the Elvish languages (as well as Dwarfish) used in Lord of the Rings is based almost entirely on Welsh.
*pitseleh*
Let's be fair, though...

(a) the Gogs dislike those from South Wales as much as, if not more than, our English neighbours :p: and

(b) the majority of the Welsh population lives in South Wales, where - as mentioned above - I hear barely any anti-English sentiments from those around me. I accept that there are places elsewhere in Wales where the English are disliked rather a lot, but the OP suggested that "most" Welsh people "hate" the English, which simply isn't true.

We're not contradicting each other here, as we're saying similar things. I don't think the anti-English sentiments are as widespread as they used to be but they very much are there in South Wales. You just have to know where to find them.
Reply 90
yeeah wasn't it Welsh and Finnish Tolkein based the Elvish on?
Flooige
yeeah wasn't it Welsh and Finnish Tolkein based the Elvish on?

Quenya is based on Finnish yep.
Reply 92
I like the Welsh.
Reply 93
good on ya sonny boy
Why is there no option of being half welsh half english? Or do you think that no one would ever stoop so low as to touch a member of the other nation ?? :wink:

I'm half welsh/english, there are plenty of things I dislike about both countries - wales's ability to cover otherwise beautiful countryside in disgusting 50's style housing is something I dislike about wales. Ditto for england, only substitute countryside for ancient city centre and 50's style housing to 60's style skyrise.

When I go to Wales I talk in a posh accent and then tell them i'm welsh - has great effect in changing their attitude towards me.
Reilly
I hate welsh people who are like "aaaww I support wales and anyone playing england, I hate england lalalala" they're thick and stupid and usually from the valleys.

I'm from the Valleys, get me out of here!!!!!!
Reply 96
Delicious Dark Appeal
I'm from the Valleys, get me out of here!!!!!!

Im from thee valleys too.

Thus my knowledge of the general valley attitude :smile: at least in 'my valley(s)'
Reply 97
History Lost in Physics
Why is there no option of being half welsh half english? Or do you think that no one would ever stoop so low as to touch a member of the other nation ?? :wink:

I'm half welsh/english, there are plenty of things I dislike about both countries - wales's ability to cover otherwise beautiful countryside in disgusting 50's style housing is something I dislike about wales. Ditto for england, only substitute countryside for ancient city centre and 50's style housing to 60's style skyrise.

When I go to Wales I talk in a posh accent and then tell them i'm welsh - has great effect in changing their attitude towards me.

Where I live I speak in a 'posh' accent. I've always had an RP accent but everyone round here 'talks posh', its funny when i go back to my folks house, who live in a town about 12 miles away that's an A typical welsh town, i.e. not posh....I get called posh. Whereas here I'm basically a commoner with an adequate accent.

Ahhhh sea breeze and elitism.
Reilly
Where I live I speak in a 'posh' accent. I've always had an RP accent but everyone round here 'talks posh', its funny when i go back to my folks house, who live in a town about 12 miles away that's an A typical welsh town, i.e. not posh....I get called posh. Whereas here I'm basically a commoner with an adequate accent.

Ahhhh sea breeze and elitism.

Ah yes - sea breeze... I live in Weston so I really can't call it elitism...
I love wales, i have a strong welsh heritage (even though i was born in stoke-on-trent lol)

I love the place so mcuh im currently learning the language..AND going too university there

Latest

Trending

Trending