The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Sikhism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
MrGuillotine
Oh, the first linky of the thread for moi. On first looks, the article seems quite ridiculous, unless you can clarify.

Its basic argument is that you cut nails because they are "dead" while hair is living? It then differentiates to state there is a dead part and a living part of your nails. How do you make the difference between the nails and hair - both are made of keratin, a non-living structural protein. One is equally as 'dead' as the other.

Seems like a really weak argument.

sorry :s-smilie: i didnt think id be able to do your question justice, so i just provided a link.

my logic:
is it practical to keep 9 inch nails? no
is it practical to not remove any hair? yes
can keeping long nails aid you spiritually? no
can keeping long hair aid you spiritually? yes
Reply 181
meenu89
'Bole soni har' (Blessed is the One)

we reply ' Satriakal'

its 'jo boleh so nihal' :smile: meaning, he who speaks will be uplifted...
and then everyone shouts SAT SRI AKAAAAAL
Reply 182
Suave
Well then that's how it should be; no double standards for men and women.

There is no place for double standards in sikhism. it's the only religion that has verses that speak of women being equal to men.
Reply 183
CHAMON
There is no place for double standards in sikhism. it's the only religion that has verses that speak of women being equal to men.

Good stuff.
Reply 184
Gora Sikha Ho! - Ham Hindu Hai!

Haha
Reply 185
Amit92
Gora Sikha Ho! - Ham Hindu Hai!

Haha

Pardon?
CHAMON

I would disagree with that statement. Quran 33:35 - For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward.

Verse above doesnt suggest inferiority of women with regards to men
Reply 187
asadtamimi
I would disagree with that statement. Quran 33:35 - For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward.

Verse above doesnt suggest inferiority of women with regards to men

Muslim women arent allowed to go to the mosque?
Yes they are?!
_H_
sorry :s-smilie: i didnt think id be able to do your question justice, so i just provided a link.

Maybe better to read the link before you post it up, as that made no sense at all.

my logic:
is it practical to keep 9 inch nails? no
is it practical to not remove any hair? yes
can keeping long nails aid you spiritually? no
can keeping long hair aid you spiritually? yes

That's the "it's God gift" explaination out the window then.

As for practicality, having to grow your hair so long that you need to wrap it up to sit on top of your head is hassle enough. Take into account if you live in a hot climate (like India) it must make it more uncomfortable. And then theres the issue of having to wash it nearly all the time. Surely its more practical to just shave it short...easier to wash, easier to maintain, keeps you cool without the extra burden on your head.

So what is the argument for keeping long hair then? Gods gift or practicality? And is there any evidence for it?
g_star_raw_1989

Intrestingly, On adultery, its speacifically stated that a Sikh ahould never touch a Muslim women.

Why the specificity? To say what, that its ok with a Hindu???

A Muslim women walks into a Sikh doctor's practice....
Reply 191
MrGuillotine
Maybe better to read the link before you post it up, as that made no sense at all.

i did read it, and it made sense to me.

MrGuillotine

So what is the argument for keeping long hair then? Gods gift or practicality? And is there any evidence for it?

there are several reasons, most of which have already been outlined in this topic. in my last post i mentioned spiritual reasons for keeping hair. keeping uncut hair is also a sign of accepting Gods will. i do see my hair as a gift from God, and i (as someone who keeps long hair) find it easy to maintain, hassle free, comfortable and highly practical. i have never ever had any issues with my hair. unless you have tried keeping uncut hair and wearing a turban, i dont see how you can make such assumptions.
Reply 192
MrGuillotine

That's the "it's God gift" explaination out the window then.

As for practicality, having to grow your hair so long that you need to wrap it up to sit on top of your head is hassle enough. Take into account if you live in a hot climate (like India) it must make it more uncomfortable. And then theres the issue of having to wash it nearly all the time. Surely its more practical to just shave it short...easier to wash, easier to maintain, keeps you cool without the extra burden on your head.

The most important reason for keeping it is its role in spiritual progression. Obviously if you don't believe in God (?) then its not like anyone is going to convince you about spirituality and uncut hair's role in it :p:
Its also as uniformity and pride for the followers of Guru Nanak Dev Ji.
Not in the least is tying it up a hassle, quite the opposite actually, infact the turban itself was a symbol of royalty in India and other countries that side of the world, even now Rajput kings in India wear their own form of turban.
I love tying my neat turban everyday and I love letting the world know who I am :smile:
Reply 193
MrGuillotine
Why the specificity? To say what, that its ok with a Hindu???

A Muslim women walks into a Sikh doctor's practice....

This is completely false, I am not sure where he got that from. ALL extra-marital relationships are not allowed and marriage must only be between two Sikhs, as they are supposed to also be spiritual partners, aiding each other in getting closer to God through following the teachings of the Guru.
No discrimination against non-sikhs lol. Sikhism teaches seeing God's light in everyone, and as such outside of spiritual requirements no differentiation is made between humanity :smile:
USingh
This is completely false, I am not sure where he got that from. ALL extra-marital relationships are not allowed and marriage must only be between two Sikhs, as they are supposed to also be spiritual partners, aiding each other in getting closer to God through following the teachings of the Guru.
No discrimination against non-sikhs lol. Sikhism teaches seeing God's light in everyone, and as such outside of spiritual requirements no differentiation is made between humanity :smile:

I thought as much. I remember my Sikh friends coming up with all sorts of silly claims about what their religion taught, specifically about Muslims, but more so about Pakis. I guess it was just hate that they inherented from their parents shining through.
Reply 195
Is there some sort of lingering animosity between some Sikhs and Muslims? I know there is a sort of history between the two religous groups, but what is it like in the present day? A couple of my Sikh friends have a rather strong dislike for all muslims, but I've never been sure if this is something common among Sikh familes or not.
_H_
i did read it, and it made sense to me.

Biologically, it didnt. You cant distinguish between hair and nails as being either dead or alive the way the author did.

there are several reasons, most of which have already been outlined in this topic. in my last post i mentioned spiritual reasons for keeping hair. keeping uncut hair is also a sign of accepting Gods will. i do see my hair as a gift from God, and i (as someone who keeps long hair) find it easy to maintain, hassle free, comfortable and highly practical. i have never ever had any issues with my hair. unless you have tried keeping uncut hair and wearing a turban, i dont see how you can make such assumptions.

Maybe so, but its easier and more practical to keep shorter hair than longer. Common sense.
USingh
The most important reason for keeping it is its role in spiritual progression. Obviously if you don't believe in God (?) then its not like anyone is going to convince you about spirituality and uncut hair's role in it :p:
Its also as uniformity and pride for the followers of Guru Nanak Dev Ji.
Not in the least is tying it up a hassle, quite the opposite actually, infact the turban itself was a symbol of royalty in India and other countries that side of the world, even now Rajput kings in India wear their own form of turban.
I love tying my neat turban everyday and I love letting the world know who I am :smile:

Fair play, I can accept that - you say its God command, you believe in God, and thus obey Him. But Im curious, how does it help ones spirituality?

And what is the 'scripture' of Sikhism? How has God conveyed His commands, through what medium?
Reply 198
Wenzel
Is there some sort of lingering animosity between some Sikhs and Muslims? I know there is a sort of history between the two religous groups, but what is it like in the present day? A couple of my Sikh friends have a rather strong dislike for all muslims, but I've never been sure if this is something common among Sikh familes or not.

Yes there was. The Mughals killed many Sikhs, and two Sikh Guru's were martyred by them. Although they are not perceived to be Muslims and they were just cruel by nature. (something a true follower of Islam isn't)

Many battles were fought with Arangzeb and Shah Jahan (Taj Mahal erector)

Saying this majority of Sikh Shrines are located in Pakistan and are respected by the Muslims as Guru Nanak is perceived to be a Pir or reffered to as Hazrut Nanak. Also the foundations of the Golden Temple in Amristar were laid down by a Muslim Saint by the name of Sian Mian Mir. And many verses in the Sikh Scriptures are by Muslim Saints.

The animosity is fuelled mainly by the past as I mentioned, but there is no major animosity currently. Sikhs and Muslims support each othe in issues such as Kahsmir, Panjab and so on.
Reply 199
MrGuillotine
Fair play, I can accept that - you say its God command, you believe in God, and thus obey Him. But Im curious, how does it help ones spirituality?

And what is the 'scripture' of Sikhism? How has God conveyed His commands, through what medium?

Guru Granth Sahib is the scripture.

God spoke to Guru Nanak and as he uttered the words of the divine Lord, his companion wrote it down (He had two, one muslims one hindu) Guru Nanak was one with God. he required no medium. No angels, no disciples (like those of Islam and Christianity) Sikhism is the only religion where the Prohets themsleves have written the message down for the world. All others have been by disciples of Mohammed or Jesus. Many years later. The Mesage of God is preserved to this day as it was in the late 14th century. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending