The Student Room Group

Primark: New Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by leeh20
I did , thank you so much!
It was quite stress free and fun to be honest nothing like i was expecting ik really enjoy it!

Aw I'm glad :biggrin: honestly i thought I'd end up hating it and didn't expect to still be there almost a year later, I do have my moments but overall I love it! Hope you continue to enjoy it whilst working there haha
Hey I started at primark 2 weeks ago (Friday saturday 8hours) and I've requested my 2 days next week off (8th and 9th), I've done 2 days overtime this week, I'm just wondering does anyone know how long until I know if I've got the time off, thanks!
Reply 22
Original post by minijess1
Hey I started at primark 2 weeks ago (Friday saturday 8hours) and I've requested my 2 days next week off (8th and 9th), I've done 2 days overtime this week, I'm just wondering does anyone know how long until I know if I've got the time off, thanks!

Did you mention this holiday in your interview? Just because I know at my store, 4 weeks notice is usually required. I'd ask your manager or something though :smile:
Hi guys!
I worked for 5 hours today, and my supervisors gave me no break along with another girl on the till which is unusual as previous weeks when I’ve worked for more than four hours. I’ve had a break as the supervisors told me to have one. Should I mention it to a manager?! or just leave it. It will probably show up on the clock in system, I had no break.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Smilingtribute
Hi guys!
I worked for 5 hours today, and my supervisors gave me no break along with another girl on the till which is unusual as previous weeks when I’ve worked for more than four hours. I’ve had a break as the supervisors told me to have one. Should I mention it to a manager?! or just leave it. It will probably show up on the clock in system, I had no break.

Yeah you should've had 15 mins, you could mention it but I'm not actually sure what they'd do as I've never had this happen to me haha :smile:

I guess it depends on how you feel about it, in reality it's not a legal requirement like it would be if you worked 6 hrs + and got nothing. Maybe wait and see if it gets mentioned and next time you work longer than 5 hours and over mention to a supervisor/manager that you need your break for however long!
@TheAnxiousSloth @lau19 @leeh20 @barnetlad@minijess1@Smilingtribute

I've just tagged you as people would want reviews on Primark. Please can you rate each of these category out of 5.

- Work-Life Balance
- Pay
- Benefits
- Management
- Recommed to another
- Working at the tills
- Handling with bad customers
- Stock management
- Overtime
- Making new friends with employees

Also name 3 pros and cons working at Primark.

Anything else please leave it down below.
(edited 4 years ago)
Does anyone know how long it takes after you request time off on Workday for it to be approved? I requested a day off for in 2 months time, 2 weeks ago, and it still hasn't been approved or declined.
Reply 27
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
Does anyone know how long it takes after you request time off on Workday for it to be approved? I requested a day off for in 2 months time, 2 weeks ago, and it still hasn't been approved or declined.

I think it depends on your line manager to be honest. I have never waited longer than a week max, though. Maybe just mention it to them?
Original post by Pro Gamer 2003

I've just tagged you as people would want reviews on Primark. Please can you rate each of these category out of 5.

- Work-Life Balance
- Pay
- Benefits
- Management
- Recommed to another
- Working at the tills
- Stock management
- Overtime

- Work-Life Balance

4/5 Stars
I mainly work weekends with other students. The managers understand if you can’t work a shift due to health reasons or personal reasons but please call in a few hours before your shift or the managers will call you. Even tell them a few weeks before.

- Pay
5 stars out 5 stars.
I’ve never been underpaid whilst working with Primark. The pay is also very great if you are student!

- Benefits
3 stars out 5 Stars
You do get a 10% discount in special weeks. Like Christmas and a few weeks in the summer. However you don’t get a discount 365 days per year which is annoying but Primark is a cheap place.

- Management
5 stars out of 5 Stars
I’ve never had any problems with the managers. They have all been really nice to me.

- Recommend to another
3/4 Stars out 5
I have recommended working there to friends as the weekend shifts are probably the best.

- The Tills
4 Stars out 5 Stars
The tills are really easy to use but it took me a few days to fully understand to work it as I was thrown on the tills on my first day/induction but it’s easy laid out compared to a previous shop that I worked out.

4 stars out 5
You do get bad customers occasionally in Primark. You really need thick skin or else Retail isn’t for you. I once had an Italian Man go crazy at me in my 4th week of starting as I only asked if he was enjoying the weather and he called my generation dumb basically. However, the shop that I work at. Help each other when situations like this happen.

- Stock management
3 Stars out of 5 Stars
In a few overtime night shifts that I have done. We have had customers ask questions if we still have them in stock but I always ask the supervisors if we do but we don’t.
In my last overtime shift, I was expected to do 15 boxes in a department which was stocked very high within an hour (it was the final hour of the shift whilst the other members of the floor had the whole 3 hours to do their department and I had one) and the supervisor who told me to do the department said I was too slow and wasn’t following instruction?! When I was. I nearly had a breakdown during the shift as I felt overwhelmed and the manager seen the pressure that the supervisor was putting on me. I only got 7 boxes done on the amount of stock I had to put out by myself.

Honestly, some overtime shifts are fine with stock but the last overtime shift was horrible on the amount of pallets of boxes we had to do.
It really depends on your shop.

- Overtime
4 stars out 5
Managers and Supervisors usually let you know when Overtime is available. It’s not every week though but there is always overtime each month

3/4 Stars out 5 stars
I immediately felt welcomed when I first started and I have made a lots of friends. However, since my probation period has ended. Some of the supervisors have became quite nasty towards me for some reason?! Who were previously nice to me. Most of the staff are really nice but you can get some characters. We all help each other out though

Pros
Great Pay
Most friendly staff
Shifts Can Go Quickly
Easy To Book Holidays through My Workday
Flexible
Most Customers Are Nice!

Cons
A few supervisors can be very nasty and act like they are the managers of you.
You don’t know if we have an item in stock or not and the stockroom is huge which means it’s really to hard to find items from each department.
Customers tend not to like and understand 28 day policy and not understand that we need the till receipt if the item is not faulty and not a bank statement as the tills can’t do this without the receipt.

Primark is a great place to work if a student. If you are looking for a weekend job.

Not all Primark’s are horrible trust me!

A lot of adults tend to stay with Primark which means it’s a good place to work at. I knew some who has worked 14 years with Primark who just left to persuade other things.
(edited 4 years ago)
Question for anyone:

How long did it take for Primark to get back to you after the interview?
Hi I had my interview on the 21st of October and I received a call today for a job offer. So I waited 2 weeks and 2 days.
Original post by zaraimran72
Hi I had my interview on the 21st of October and I received a call today for a job offer. So I waited 2 weeks and 2 days.

Thanks! Had mine the 29th so hopefully I'll hear back next week then
Original post by tiffycakes
Question for anyone:

How long did it take for Primark to get back to you after the interview?

Six hours after the interview! Had the interview in the morning and got a call in the afternoon.
Original post by tiffycakes
Thanks! Had mine the 29th so hopefully I'll hear back next week then

Just got a rejection email today lol
Hi guys!

For the people who currently working at primark. What is the correct way on folding t-shifts, jumpers and other things that need to be folded. I always mess it up and it would be very useful to have some tips!

- Work-Life Balance
- Pay
- Benefits
- Management
- Recommed to another
- Working at the tills
- Stock management
- Overtime

work-life balance- 5/5 overtime is good if you want it but they don't force you to do more shifts

pay- 5/5 well above minimum wage for a 16 yr old

benefits- 1/5 10% discount but only after working there 3 months

management- 5/5 I love my supervisors, I think it depends on the store though some people say theirs are awful

recommendation- 5/5 great for a first job I actually recommended it to my boyfriend's brother today

working on tills- 5/5 that's my job, it's easy I like it

bad customers- can't really answer this one I've never really had one

stock management- 4/5 they only restock at night so if something runs out during the day it's tough really

overtime- 3/5 some weeks there's tons, other weeks there's none

new friends- 5/5 everyone at my store is so friendly!
Thank you for those who have taken the time to review the working life at Primark. I would like to thank all of you and now this Primark thread is a sticky thread so its seen on the careers page. THANK YOU
Original post by minijess1
work-life balance- 5/5 overtime is good if you want it but they don't force you to do more shifts

pay- 5/5 well above minimum wage for a 16 yr old

benefits- 1/5 10% discount but only after working there 3 months

management- 5/5 I love my supervisors, I think it depends on the store though some people say theirs are awful

recommendation- 5/5 great for a first job I actually recommended it to my boyfriend's brother today

working on tills- 5/5 that's my job, it's easy I like it

bad customers- can't really answer this one I've never really had one

stock management- 4/5 they only restock at night so if something runs out during the day it's tough really

overtime- 3/5 some weeks there's tons, other weeks there's none

new friends- 5/5 everyone at my store is so friendly!

Say if a friend works at Primark and on the job application it states that you have referred them to the job what happens. Does the HR manager talk to you about the person.
Reply 38
Does anyone know when the employee discount begins for Xmas? I have a vague memory of it being advertised on my first day last year which was the 1st December.. I know it will be soon but hoping it's next weekend after payday :tongue:
Say if a friend works at Primark and on the job application it states that you have referred them to the job what happens. Does the HR manager talk to you about the person.

I'm not actually sure nothing has come of it yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending