The Student Room Group

Primark: New Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi, does anyone know if Christmas temp staff are expected to do extra hours on Black Friday?
Reply 41
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
Hi, does anyone know if Christmas temp staff are expected to do extra hours on Black Friday?

No, I don't think so. I think they would've let you know by now if that was the case as well
Has anyone got the English assessments for the Primark online application job for Sales Assistant.
[deleted]
(edited 4 years ago)
If you're a Christmas temp, when do they let you know if they want you to stay permanently or not? My temporary contract finishes in the beginning of January...
Can anyone give me the questions to the online assessment becuase I'm trying to apply and it doesn't give me the online assessment. Can someone take screenshots and send it to the thread please. Alot of people will apply to Primark so we want to hlp them by giving tips for the questions.
Reply 46
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
If you're a Christmas temp, when do they let you know if they want you to stay permanently or not? My temporary contract finishes in the beginning of January...

Have you told them you're interested in becoming permanent?

I just checked my emails from last year and my offer of a permanent contract was sent on the 28th December, and if I remember correctly my permanent contract started on the 6th January.
Hey guys and ladies,

I want this thread to be the most chattiest thread on the part time employment tab. So it would be nice and appreciative if you can @ some people here so that they can talk about their time at Primark and how they can help new people coming to primark.

Thank you.
As I have stated that I want to work at Primark and there are no vacnacies avaliable at the nearest store when do you predict the next job will be advertised. The last time it was advertised it was for Retail Assistants - Christmas Temp on 25th October
Also I have found one question on the Primark online assessment and would you agree on me with this as most of you have went through this stage and it would be helpful if someone took screenshots of the questions so that it would help me and others in future:

Heres the question:

You are working on a Friday afternoon on the shop floor and your shift is almost over. Your manager approaches you and asks if you could stay later to help out in another department as they are incredibly busy. You have had a long week and were looking forward to a free evening. What do you do?

Choose the BEST and the WORST response:

1) Tell your manager that you will stay longer if necessary but make sure that they know you are incredibly tired and wont be able to work as quickly as usual

2) Apologise to your manager and say that you would like to help but that you are busy this evening and cant stay longer, however u assure them you will be happy to help out another time

3) Agree to stay and help out since you know that an additional pair of hands will speed up the work and other colleagues have helped you out before

4) Agree to help but insist that you can only stay for a while since you have committed plans that you cannot cancel

Now heres my opinion:

1 - It is good that you would be staying for longer but it doesn't show that as a retail assistant you are faced pace and it shows to your manager you really wouldn't want to be there for the extra hours.

2 - Shows no flexiblity whatsoever, shows that you aren't reliable and it definitely shows that you cannot be asked for extra hours and shows in future you would repeat this.

3 - Without a doubt the best answer you would give shows flexiblity, reliablity and keen on working as others have helped before and now its your turn to help other colleagues.

4 - It is very similar to number 1 and 2 you agree to help but you want to spend the evening somewhere else you do show flexiblity but it shows that you don't really want to spend more time at work.

So my opinions are:

BEST: 3
WORST: 2

Would you guys agree or disagree with me.
According to The Sun do Retail Assistant get paid £7.11 per hour.
I remember the specfic subjects on the Primark online assessment but I cannot access it becuase I took one nearly two months ago and they allow me to take another one after 180 days bascially end of April so if someone could take screenshots of it or copy and paste it in that would be very helpful thanks.
Reply 52
For the assessment, I’ve heard that how quick you answer the questions affects whether they hire you or not, like there’s more chance you’ll be hired if you’re speedy as opposed to putting too much thought into each question - obviously put down the right answers, but don’t take too long on it
Hello Primark viewers/employees,

I would like you to add more people onto this thread so that this thread is very active and responsed to peoples comments. So it'll only take a couple of minutes just add as much people onto this thread.

Thanks,

Pro or you can call me Mo
Here is a response from @Simply.R.A.M.C time at Primark. (Enjoy)

'' I myself have worked at Primark as a retail assistant whilst at university so hopefully I can give you an insight as to what it is like working there.

From what I remember, you don't do much on the induction day apart from sit in a room with someone from HR and go through some videos/ information. You will also get a tour of the store, as well as being shown the fitting rooms and how to do financial transactions on tills (however, don't worry if you don't pick this up straight away as they will allow you shadow someone before letting you do it on your own).

Overall, working at Primark is pretty simple and straightforward but it just gets very repetitive which is to be expected with retail. My best advice would be to grab any opportunity to get on tills as you get to have small talk with the customers/ colleagues and I have found that the time goes by the quickest.

Unfortunately, if you have signed your contract that says you have to work 8 hours then this is the minimum amount of time you will have to work on the weekend (and bank holidays too). Also just to make you aware, a lot of the time supervisors/ managers will also try to push you (guilt you) into doing overtime at the end of your shift...if you can't or don't want to stay, simply say that you have done your contracted hours and that you have other obligations. I only mention this because it's quite a common thing for them to pressure the younger members of staff to do overtime as they don't really have much consideration for your life outside of work.

In terms of trying to manage your sixth form workload along side your working hours, it is definitely possible if you organise your time effectively. I will say that the job itself can sometime be draining but your contracted hours aren't too bad (I did 16 hours on the weekend and I found it to be a challenge). As long as you bare this in mind and try not to let if affect your sixth form work you should be fine. Many people are able to work and complete their studies at the same time and it definitely helps you with your time management skills!''
Hey Ladies and Gentlemen,

As I have failed the Primark online assessment which made me fail the application form I will just be waiting patiently for the next vacancies that will be advertising there. The position I applied for was Retail Assistant - Christmas Temporary. I believe that they would next advertise for vacnacies for my one and only local store in my town probably between February-April. So I want to be ready for the online assessment and the interview. So any interview questions will be very useful and it will help me out.

I'm hoping for the vacancy:

Retail Assistant - Weekend - Permanent

If I was offered the job I would want an 8 hour contract. So I would want to work 4 hours on both Saturday and Sunday. If they allow me to choose the timings I would want Saturday: 12:00-16:00 and Sunday: 10:00-14:00 and doing an extra hour before and after on Saturday so on Saturday with overtime I would want to do 11:00-17:00.

Thanks,

Mo
Can all of you who have commented on this thread type up there opinion and time at Primark as if you were leaving.

How did you feel when you got the job.
What made you stay.
Why you chose Primark over others.
Personal opinions about the job. (E.g. Management, tills, supervisors)

Just how @Simply.R.A.M.C did it.

So those who have commented please can you take some time to write a detailed explanation of your time at Primark so I can look thorugh and future employees can look through this before making their and my decison.

@TheAnxiousSloth
@lau19
@leeh20
@barnetlad
@minijess1
@Smilingtribute
@tiffycakes
@zaraimran72
I want to work at Primark but there are no vacancies probabaly not till summer as Christams jobs are over.
Original post by Pro Gamer 2003
Hey Ladies and Gentlemen,

As I have failed the Primark online assessment which made me fail the application form I will just be waiting patiently for the next vacancies that will be advertising there. The position I applied for was Retail Assistant - Christmas Temporary. I believe that they would next advertise for vacnacies for my one and only local store in my town probably between February-April. So I want to be ready for the online assessment and the interview. So any interview questions will be very useful and it will help me out.

I'm hoping for the vacancy:

Retail Assistant - Weekend - Permanent

If I was offered the job I would want an 8 hour contract. So I would want to work 4 hours on both Saturday and Sunday. If they allow me to choose the timings I would want Saturday: 12:00-16:00 and Sunday: 10:00-14:00 and doing an extra hour before and after on Saturday so on Saturday with overtime I would want to do 11:00-17:00.

Thanks,

Mo

Hi! Unfortunately you can’t really choose what shifts you get. You usually are stuck with the shifts, you have gotten. The managers want employees in at special times and you would usually work 4 hours per day when you are new (no breaks) or 5 - 7 hour shift per day when they really need to staff. However, after your probation period. You could Shift Swap with another employee though! You could probably request it by speaking to a manager.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending