The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well, Magdalene is slightly bigger than Peterhouse in terms of numbers of undergrads (Magdalene admits about 100 every year to Peterhouse's 75), so depending on whether you want to go smaller or larger you could pick one or the other. If you really can't decide between the two then you could just flip a coin to decide it - there is no point agonising over the decision, wherever you end up you will love it.
Reply 2
Peterhouse is on Trumpington Street and therefore closer to the History Faculty if that makes any difference.
Reply 3
I'd go with Peterhouse. A friend of mine is over there and he can't stop complimenting the college.

However, as others have said, if you can't pick just flip a coin.
I'd say Magdalene, but only because it's my college. The biggest advantage of Magdalene is that it's one of the only central colleges where you're guaranteed accommodation within 5 minutes of the college, if not in it. The majority of the accommodation is in the area across the road that you saw, but there's also a little bit in the college proper, some on Bridge street and Thompson's lane, some above cafe Uno, and some round behind the fellows garden, in Cripps court (not the John's one) and the surrounding houses. Some rooms are really nice, others not so, but the ballot system means that you're bound to get a nice room for at least one year. (if you want one)

Otherwise... well, it's a college, I think it's cool. I don't know much about Peterhouse.
Reply 5
Peterhouse. This year's history finalists: 8 candidates.

5 1sts
3 2:1s

First year accomodation is in St Peter's Terrace, a terrace of Georgian houses. 16 rooms per house, good size/price of room (ranging from approx £500 - £900, you can choose a price band to be put in ). You have a bathroom for every 4 people and gyp for every 5/6. Basically everyone really likes living there and its pretty sweet accomodation for first years - it is directly behind the college deer park and fronts onto Trumptington street.

What else. Yeah ... I go to Peterhouse and its pretty sweet.
Reply 6
Mata
Peterhouse. This year's history finalists: 8 candidates.

5 1sts
3 2:1s
Like that means anything.

It could be bad. It could mean that the fellows put loads of emphasis on work and when Peterhouse does worse than they think it should be doing because only 3 history finalists could manage a first they go crazy and cancel the May Ball. Or something.
Reply 7
Supermerp
Like that means anything.

It could be bad. It could mean that the fellows put loads of emphasis on work and when Peterhouse does worse than they think it should be doing because only 3 history finalists could manage a first they go crazy and cancel the May Ball. Or something.

I go to Peterhouse, and believe me the emphasis is not on work. We happen to have a good History faculty. And a good English faculty, I can say, as I do English.

As for the May Ball fiasco, what do you expect me to say? We were at the bottom of the table. It wasn't one less first, it was the bottom of the table. And even though I was not happy about it being cancelled and don't think that the May Ball affected our results, I understand that they had to make some sort of change.

And this year, we have the full backing of the college to have a May Ball. I'm on the committee and we're committed to making it the best damn ball this college has ever seen. We know we have to.
Reply 8
I'm sorry for being unnecessarily mean, I came home today after stepping off a bus and into a flash flood and I'm still a bit damp and grumpy.

Mata
I go to Peterhouse, and believe me the emphasis is not on work. We happen to have a good History faculty. And a good English faculty, I can say, as I do English.
I don't think it's good to base college choice on academic results. A lot of what a college gets is based on the individuals who happen to go there, particularly when the number of people at the college are fairly small. AIUI (since I'm a scientist and not an artist) there aren't huge differences in quality of teaching between colleges and so you might as well make the choice on other things, like quality, location and cost of accommodation or whether or not your chosen college has a deer park. Which you did mention, I know but most of the space in your post was the academic thing.
Reply 9
Supermerp
I'm sorry for being unnecessarily mean, I came home today after stepping off a bus and into a flash flood and I'm still a bit damp and grumpy.

I don't think it's good to base college choice on academic results. A lot of what a college gets is based on the individuals who happen to go there, particularly when the number of people at the college are fairly small. AIUI (since I'm a scientist and not an artist) there aren't huge differences in quality of teaching between colleges and so you might as well make the choice on other things, like quality, location and cost of accommodation or whether or not your chosen college has a deer park. Which you did mention, I know but most of the space in your post was the academic thing.

I realised you weren't actually that mean, so got rid of that bit. :redface:

You're probably right about the academic bit. I should have added that those results are, I believe/hope, symptomatic of the college trying harder to give its pupils a good chance of success, and being more positive about things. I'm not sure about in the History faculty, but English has recently taken on a new fellow, and next term has another new one coming in.

Then again, I've had supervisions in Maudlin and their staff seem very good, too. So location is probably the biggie, and there are plus/minus points in both college's location.
I think Peterhouse is supposed to have a bit of a reputation for historty, as they do an essay competition. I almost applied to Peterhouse, it seemed nice, and the smallness means it's probably quite a tight knit college. So i'd say apply there, but you should visit both and see which feels better for you - if you haven't done so already.
Mata
Then again, I've had supervisions in Maudlin and their staff seem very good, too. So location is probably the biggie, and there are plus/minus points in both college's location.

Peterhouse! Peterhouse! Peterhouse!

It's pretty and small and looks fun and yeah...

Peterhouse! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Thank you everyone

I have got to wait until I get my exam results back before I can even know if my grades are good enough to apply.

I think that I have finally decided on Magdalene though (this will probably change again though)
Reply 14
Supergrunch

Oh, cringe! I spelt it phonetically. I genuinly forgot that that isn't how its spelt, as well as said.

Silly me. Still. I can't bring myself to be ashamed.
Mata
Oh, cringe! I spelt it phonetically. I genuinly forgot that that isn't how its spelt, as well as said.

Silly me. Still. I can't bring myself to be ashamed.

Because we spell everything phonetically in English. It's just annoying when people spell things wrong.
Reply 16
Supergrunch
Because we spell everything phonetically in English. It's just annoying when people spell things wrong.

At this point you're in the 'should be over it by now' stage.

I misspelt something. You pointed it out. I acknowledged that.

Over it yet? Because we're way into overtime.
:hello: Mata :biggrin:

OP: Peterhouse. Good for history. Smallest college and very friendly and pretty. Very good accomodation and fantastic location.

Magdalene also seems nice, and I have friends there who love it. I think size/number of undergrads probably makes quite a difference, so that aspect should be thought of!

Latest

Trending

Trending