The Student Room Group

Pregnancy Scares... your stories.

Scroll to see replies

dita_parlo
No, I was young, stupid and had been using the withdrawal method for 2 years so thought it wouldn't happen to me.

Did you have the baby?
Keep anon as people know me on here. Used contraception but you never know with sod's law.... was a month n a bit late, didn't really take much notice cos my body likes to scare me aha. I took quite a bit of ketamine one day (not as a means to anything, was just trying it with a few pals, and please don't bother quoting me lecturing me on drug use, I know the dangers and definitely not endorsing it), and the next day I was on... not sure if that was coincidence... pretty weird.
SnowAngel
Did you have the baby?

I was planning to but sufferred a miscarriage.
I was feeling really sick all the time and went to the doctors, he asked me to take a pregnancy test. That was an awful afternoon. Fair enough if I'm being paranoid but under doctors recommendation :eek:
dita_parlo
I was planning to but sufferred a miscarriage.

I'm sorry :lovehug:
Reply 105
My GF is having the tell tale signs of it all, and i'm absolutely terrified. Sickness, tiredness etc... , she had spotting two days ago. Although she's on Carazatte or whatever, she got quite ill say 6 weeks ago, where she didn't take it for a couple of days due to quite bad illness, then we waited like 3 days until we had sex(the packet says 2). She's getting a pregnancy test today. Although I haven't reg came inside her for one reason or another and coupled with the fact she is on the pill, she shouldn't be pregnant, but its just terrifying. I'm 18, she's 17, ******* hell.
(Please keep me as anonymous, friends on here etc, thanks)

Glad to have found this thread. My boyfriend and I have never had sex- I'm still a virgin- but have practiced mutual masturbation frequently. We've been sensible, i.e. keeping a distance between each other, washing hands, me first etc. The one time he ever came near me, he had a condom that he checked afterwards and said was fine.
I worked out what date my period was due on back in April (the 28th day of my cycle) and it did't arrive. Immediately panicked, to the extent where I was retching and couldn't eat properly for three days. We agreed to take a test when we got back to uni, 7 days after I was due. It was negative. Then got a heavy, quite clotty period a few days later, which lasted the normal amount of time.
Went to GP and was prescribed the pill, which I started taking on the first day of my next period. Since then have been very emotional, breasts hurt, bit bloated etc. Got so concerned during my first cycle of pills that I went to see my college nurse to get another test, which was also negative. Last week was my first one-week break from pills, and I got a bleed.
Although my Mum has told me that my periods are often irregular- i.e up to two weeks- the nurse told me that I was being irraational, I've actually being losing weight, had no real symptoms, have had three periods and two negative pregnancy tests, and the GP was happy to prescribe the pill without asking me to do a test (I'd explained to her what had happened), I still worry about it. A lot. I don't know if the pills are making me have mood swings and exacerbating it, and I know that the chances were low in the first place, but every little thing that I feel in my body always leads me to suspect that I might be pregnant.

One thing I have learnt though- that my Mum genuinely is extremely approachable and generally amazing, and that I have a fantastic boyfriend.

Sorry this has been so long, but to anyone out there who is scared: good luck :smile:
Please keep anon as this is pretty personal

I'm also currently having a pregnancy scare :frown:
Had unprotected sex with my boyfriend as there was no protection around and I wont see him again for another six months. Not very clever, I know, but he withdrew well before and we tried to be as careful as possible while not having a condom. Didn't take a MAP either.

The next morning though, I got my period. I know periods are usually the all-clear sign, but is that true even if you get it directly after you've had sex? Agh, this is killing me.
Reply 108
Last year I was sleeping with my ex from 2 years before. I had just come off the pill. We were having sex and he took the condom off.. so I got the morning after pill 2 days after as soon as I had a chance. I came on about 3 days after I should have and was really panicking I seriously thought I could be pregnant for real. But luckily I wasn't. Didn't fancy getting pregnant right at the end of year 11!
Had a couple of scares in my late teens while I was still trying to convince myself that I wasn't gay. Always found it very difficult to determine anything got to do with my cycle because it has never been regular and I've never been on the pill either. Unfortunately one of the scares turned out to have been true, though I only found out about it when I miscarried at (estimated) 10 weeks on Christmas Eve 2003.
Hi there, I'm the same anonymous as in post 107, above. Some advice would really be appreciated. As I said before, I still get really worried about being pregnant, and think about it all the time. Sometimes, I'm ok, but othertimes I can get myself into quite a state. I don't know what to do. Despite having had two normal periods at roughly the right times, going on the pill and having a bleed as expected, having two negative tests, and none of the systems- have not been more tired than usual, going to the toilet more than usual, and seem to have been losing weight, I'm still very concerned. I have had breast tenderness, been quite mood-swingy, occassionally bloated, but that has really been after starting on the pill about a month ago. Given that my boyfriend and I hadn't been having sex, it seems even more irrational. My Mum says it's irrational, as did my college nurse when I went to see her, but it doesn't seem to be enough. For some reason, I felt particularly anxious immediately when I woke up this morning. I am almost on the verge of doing another test.

Please, could somebody give me some advice? Thank you.
Anonymous
Nah. I wouldn't abort.

If the two of you are in your last year of uni, and you're 9 weeks pregnant, then by the time the baby is born the two of you will be almost finished with your final year.

So the baby will hopefully only be 3 months old when you both graduate, and then you can go about starting a life together with graduate jobs and so on. I don't think it would be too much of a struggle if you both do want to be together...

are you saying that its perfectly simple for a heavily pregnant girl to perform well in her final year of uni? i highly doubt that. what if she goes in to labour befor her finals? how is she supposed to revise well whilst heavily pregnant? What you said is a nice idea but its not exactly practical. I also doubt two students with thousands of pounds of debt could sufficiently care for a newborn baby immediately after graduating, with the current economic climate your going to have to be a pretty damn good graduate to walk into a job and with the huge levels of stress on both the mother and father i dont think that gives them the best chances.

I was raped, took the morning after pill within two hours and still became pregnant. I have no faith in the morning after pill at all.
Reply 112
Anonymous
Well that is debateable.

If her cycle was going as normal then she was one week before her period when it happened.

However... She also took the morning after pill last week because she was paranoid. There wasn't really a call for concern because we successfully used a condom that time, but she was a little paranoid for some reason and went and got it, then this happened and she had it again. In the leaflet provided, it says that taking the pill can upset your menstrual cycle. So while she normally would have been 1 week before her period, the fact that she took the pill a week previously might have set her period back up to a month or so. I'm not sure what difference it would make. Actually, the leaflet says taking it MORE than once in one cycle might mess it up. So the fact that she'd only taken it once before the 'accident' means her period might have been still on course. So I'd say 1 week prior to period. I think.

The pharmacist says that 2 weeks before and after your period is when you're most likely to get pregnant, so assuming the first pill didn't mess up her cycle, then we also have that acting in our favour.

I'm gonna agrre with what has been said about hormonal contraception, OP. I know you were using condoms but it is always better to do both for the peace of mind/security you will get.

Especially because the morning after pill is only supposed to be taken twice a year maximum, as it is an enormous dose of hormones and is really really not good for you. So if this is a false alarm and you end up having another scare, I'm not sure if your GF will be allowed the morning after pill. If she is, it won't do her much good and she will probably be told she can't have it again for a while.

Good luck OP, O hope for both of your sakes she isn't pregnant.
Mine wasnt a scare
i was actually pregnant at 17 unfortunatly
ive just had an abortion and i dont care what anyone says it was the right thing to do for me
i didnt like the idea of the surgical one and was only 6 weeks pregnant so had a medical one.
i got referred to a private clinic by my gp after only a week.
i went with my boyfriend and my parents still know nothing about it.

Basically after missing my period and being a week late i just took a test, booked a doctors appointment who referred me.
I then had a phone consultation and they just ask you about your medical history.
Then i had my first appointment and all i did was literally take one tablet.
The second one they gave me the contraceptive injection and gave me four tablets to put inside my cheek and keep them there for half an hour until they desolve, and then about an hour later you "miscarry".

Because it was what i wanted i found the whole process quite easy and in a sense i was relieved when it was over, call me heartless but at 17 a baby is not what me, nor my boyfriend wanted.

And before you ask, i was on the pill which obviously failed. 99% effective my arse.,..
Im in the midddle of one right now , its 4:50 in the morning and I cant sleep. Iv been studyingabroad for the last 3 weeks and im so scared.

Im on the pil but i got my period when i had 4 tablets left and it wasnt rally that heavy(wasnt really to light either)

Im on yasmin, and have been on several pills before, dure to bleeding between periods ect

Someone help me pleasee:frown::frown:
Reply 115
I've had three scares and taken two tests. I'm possibly the most un-paranoid person ever about this sort of thing, i literally don't think about it anymore as i'm on the pill (Loestrin 30) and don't get any 'periods' at all. Some people say this would worry them and they would change pills, but if your on the pill it's possible to get a 'bleed' and still be pregnant as it is chemically induced.

1: I was 16 (i think) and with my boyrfriend who i'd been with for less than a year at the time. We weren't using anything at the time, just withdrawal method (stupid I know) and I was over two weeks late, which i'd never been before. I had fully prepared myself for having an abortion and convinced myself I was pregnant. I remember I was cleaning his new car, he'd just turned 17, and went to the toilet and discovered i'd got my period. I went out and told him and couldn't have been more relieved. To this day i'm convinced this was a pregnancy that was miscarried as it was a 'strange one' so to speak, and the vast majority of pregnancies are miscarried before they are even discovered.

2: On the pill, probably messed it up, thought I was pregnant and took a test (most nerve wracking 2 minutes ever) which was negative. This was not too long ago and after much research i'd already decided i'd have to keep it if the pregnancy had gone past a certain point (did you know they've got fingernails and eyelashes at 12 weeks?!)

3: Not too long ago, a couple if months late, didn't really think I was pregnant but took a test anyway. It was at this point i established that it was my pill which had eliminated my periods. My doctor also made me do a test a little while, despite my objections, after I told him i'd not had a period in 8 months (I think i would notice if i were 8 months pregnant!)

Basically i've learned it's easy to get worried, but not to worry too much and be as careful as you can be! Secondly don't listen to anyone who tells you to 'double bag' the idiots. I'm a size 8 but can look about 6 months pregnant after a starchy lunch (much to the amusement of my mother and horror of my father since she's told him I want to be a 'young mum' [ i don't, it was a joke ]. Glad it's all worked out for you OP! Be careful next time!
me and my girlfriend had a pregnancy scare when her belly got bigger. turns out she's just fat.
I'm on Yasmin and had been for about 3 months when I had the scare.
I'd been really bloated, feeling sick, tired, much bigger boobs (they got bigger when I first went on it but then shrunk again!), constipated, emotional, feeling like my stomach was firmer, had that feeling of just 'knowing'.
Turned out I didn't 'know' anything.
I spent so much money on pregnancy tests it was shocking.
I must have done 5 tests because I was so sure.
The more I convinced myself the more symptoms I was getting - my period is never normally late but the pure worry meant that it was a week late which made the worry worse, unsurprisingly.
I upset my boyfriend BIG time, it caused arguments because I told him about the possibility 'the night before one of his exams' which pissed him off.
He then got really annoyed when I said I would consider keeping it because it's not a decision to be taken lightly and said it would ruin our lives etc etc.
It wasn't worth worrying about, especially when I had so many negative tests.
It's funny how much you can convince yourself of something like that though.
Reply 118
erm im 16 and have had 2 pregnancy scares and an kinda going through a third right now since the first two have made me overly paranoid :[

The first one was in May and the condom broke...the next day i got the morning after pill and ended up being ok. i was a wreck

The second time was in September and me and my boyfriend were having sex and he took off the condom without telling me for about 10 seconds and im guessing pre came in me. i freaked out and thankfully got my period on halloween...35 days later.

Now I'm having another one since im now paranoid. i went over my boyfriends house on dec. 4 and we didnt have sex, just fooled around. and im not positive but i think some of his pre cum might have been on his hand a couple of seconds before we did anything. i'm starting to feel paranoid now...im due next week. and im having symptoms: swollen breasts, loss of appetite, gas, pressure in the abdomen. I dont know if these are just signs of stress from worrying about it or if i might be pregnant. how long can sperm live outside of the body, like on a hand or blanket? and what are my chances of being pregnant? Am I just paranoid? Thanks :woo:
So my girlfriend and I have only had sex three times. at least I came inside her three times. Every time i was every inside her, it was with a condom. Now, she is about to be two weeks late. I think a pregnancy test is in order and I'm very nervous! What are our odds of being okay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending