The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Speech and language therapy application help

Hello everyone! I need help with a lot of things, sorry but I'm very very anxious and I want to get a place in this course :smile:
1) In the entry requirements it says that "evidence of research into the profession is required". What on earth does that mean? Should I include it in my personal statement?
2) How difficult is it to get in? They say it's highly competitive and they only expect about 25-35 people each year, I'm very worried about this
3) They'd prefer you to have experience working with people with speech impairments. This is impossible in my country, there are literally zero opportunities if you are not a speech and language therapy student: will it impact my opportunities of getting in?

Sorry for the tonne of questions and a big thank you to whomever will take the time to help a poor girl out!
Reply 1
Are you applying for undergraduate or postgraduate?
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by giella
Are you applying for undergraduate or postgraduate?

Postgraduate!
Reply 3
If you don’t have some clinically relevant experience or educational experience you’re not going to get to interview, let alone an offer, for postgraduate SLT. I would recommend applying to a three year undergraduate course instead and try getting some experience in schools, doing some relevant reading and reflection on said reading. Alternatively, take a year to get some experience with some SLT client groups and then apply to postgraduate courses.

If you want to know more, let me know.
QMU is a small university and they are quite selective in choosing their students, they look for people who will be good at the job as well as the academic qualifications.

I would advise looking into the undergraduate course if you have no experience working with people with additional communication needs, but even that might not help if you don't come across as a suitable person as they are very selective - for undergraduate occupational therapy they interviewed over 100 students and only 30 got places (I'm one of them), I don't know how many applied though.
Original post by Honey.moon
Hello everyone! I need help with a lot of things, sorry but I'm very very anxious and I want to get a place in this course :smile:
1) In the entry requirements it says that "evidence of research into the profession is required". What on earth does that mean? Should I include it in my personal statement?
2) How difficult is it to get in? They say it's highly competitive and they only expect about 25-35 people each year, I'm very worried about this
3) They'd prefer you to have experience working with people with speech impairments. This is impossible in my country, there are literally zero opportunities if you are not a speech and language therapy student: will it impact my opportunities of getting in?

Sorry for the tonne of questions and a big thank you to whomever will take the time to help a poor girl out!

Hi there Honey.moon!

First of all, good luck with your application and try not to be disheartened by the competitive application process. A lot of people do apply, but you have just as much chance as anyone else. The best thing you can do is really think about the experience you do have and how to relate it to SLT. Do you have any experience working with children at all? Even volunteering reading to children at schools is something. In any job you have had, have you worked in a team, or had to negotiate with customers? Teamwork and interpersonal skills are some of the most important skills for an SLT.

Also try and think about the reasons why you want to study SLT - what happened to inspire you to study it? Out of interest, where are you at the moment? Do any hospitals where you are offer work experience days? Before I applied for SLT masters i attended one at Leeds General Infirmary, hosted by two paediatric SLTs and one adult SLT, which was really informative. It can be very difficult to gain direct experience shadowing SLTs and universities do understand this, so don't let not having direct experience put you off applying. Research into the profession means that you need to show you understand what SLTs do and the varying environments that you'll find SLTs; it's definitely worth considering this when you write your personal statement.

I hope this helps!
Reply 6
What was the OT interview like?

Quick Reply

Latest