The Student Room Group

Uni withdrawing their offer?!

Okay, so my cousin's friend applied for Medicine this year having taken a gap year because she didn't get any offers the first time round. This time round she got an offer from St George's and obviously was massively happy because her gap year gamble had paid off and she really really wants to be a doctor. I'm guessing this was an unconditional offer since she did her A-levels last year.

But then a couple of weeks ago St George's sent her a letter saying they were withdrawing their offer because she got a C in Art GCSE and they "hadn't realised" (in my cousin's words) until then. She DID declare this on her UCAS form so it's not like they had new information. Has anyone heard of a uni doing this before!??! Apparently her parents got a lawyer to look into it and there was something in the UCAS small print saying that until you enrol, unis can withdraw their offers. I thought that once you'd accepted them as firm and met your conditions that was a binding agreement that the uni can't go back on?

Anyway, now she is moving to India for 5 years to study there because somehow she managed to get a last minute place there and it was really her only option (other than taking ANOTHER gap year and hoping that someone gave her a place next year!). So her parents are forking out £60,000 - and it's all in one go! She did contact other unis here and one said they thought they could possibly give her a place but they weren't sure and she'd have to wait til results came out. Obviously this would be a huge gamble and she had to decide about India within the following few days.

Personally I think this is disgusting - even if they CAN do this (and I never thought they could!) it seems like an awful thing to do and a crappy excuse. A-level results aren't even out yet so they can't even know that more people than expected had met their offers - and hers was unconditional anyway! The only thing I can think is that they had an unusually high proportion of IB people and all of them met their offers so they started to panic. Still awful though.

Anyone heard of anything similar happening before?

Scroll to see replies

No I've never heard of it. I'd have been gutted :frown:
Reply 2
Art? That's not even relevant. Pretty outrageous.
Reply 3
That must have been a horrible feeling. It's harsh of the university to do what they did just because they made a mistake.
Reply 4
Studying medicine in POland or Slovakia would be a better option.

Anyway it sucks and i feel real bad for her. She could seek some help from her school or even some legal advice. She declared everything and they cannot just change there mind.
Reply 5
For everyone suggesting getting legal advise, can they just read the original post again please :rolleyes:
Reply 6
OP I know how difficult it is to get into medicine, it must have been absolutely gutting for her to have her offer withdrawn, and especially because of a mistake made by the uni :frown:
Reply 7
Yeah, it's not even relevant so clearly they made a mistake with numbers and were just looking for someone to boot out...

She chose India coz she has family there so she won't be totally alone and they managed to get her in at the last minute. Apparently it's a British-language uni and quite well respected there at least.
They removed her offer for a C in Art?

I'm speechless....
Reply 9
That's disgusting. She should go to her local paper. It won't get her place back but at least it'd shame the university.
Ouch! I feel sorry for her.
What's art GCSE got to do with anything?

I could maybe understand if it was chemistry or biology or something... but ART?!

That's like being rejected a place on a maths degree because you got a C in sports studies.
That's awful. If they're going to kick her out of a medicine course for having a C in GCSE art, may as well not go there as the admin are obviously bastards

*Notices he has a C in GCSE Art also* Oh ****.
OMG how awful.... a C in art! heh :P couldn't resist.

Sorry to hear about it :/ Didn't this happen with Imperial and a 17 yr old ex burglar with an offer for medicine? I mean, getting a C in a GCSE is a crime, don't get me wrong, but it's not on the same level as theft surely!?

sorry :C just had to...

I'm sure she'll have a great time in India anyways.
i thought the uni legally had the accept you if you met their offer, thats why some years are bigger than others if more people met their offer.
It is compeltely outrageous they they withdrew their offer for no reason at all really!
Id get another leagl oppinion, just to make sure
Reply 15
originalname
I mean, getting a C in a GCSE is a crime

No it's not.
originalname
OMG how awful.... a C in art! heh :P couldn't resist.

Sorry to hear about it :/ Didn't this happen with Imperial and a 17 yr old ex burglar with an offer for medicine? I mean, getting a C in a GCSE is a crime, don't get me wrong, but it's not on the same level as theft surely!?

Elitist much?
Reply 17
EvenStevens
Elitist much?

That thought crosses my mind as well.
Oh come on! I was being sarcastic :/ Calm yourselves down!
originalname
Oh come on! I was being sarcastic :/ Calm yourselves down!

Only a limited number of people can appreciate your sarcastic genius, Im sure :rolleyes: (:biggrin:)

And I agree, compared to other things that they could of rejected her for in the first instance. A C in GCSE art seems to be clutching at straws a little.

Latest

Trending

Trending