The Student Room Group

Music GCSE 12 Marker

How do you write a Music GCSE 12 marker? Do you need an introductions and conclusion? My question is "Discuss the way in which Bach has exploited melody, texture and harmony in the 3rd Movement of the Brandenburg Concerto no. 5 in D major, that are typical of Baroque Music" And I'm really stuck :-(
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Alex423
How do you write a Music GCSE 12 marker? Do you need an introductions and conclusion? My question is "Discuss the way in which Bach has exploited melody, texture and harmony in the 3rd Movement of the Brandenburg Concerto no. 5 in D major, that are typical of Baroque Music" And I'm really stuck :-(

Don’t worry, we’ve all been there :smile:

The most important thing when doing a music 12 marker imo is linking back to the question. It’s not just stating as many features as possible: instead, explain WHY they are effective and how they make a good exploitation of melody, texture and harmony.

As far as 12 marks go, in the actual exam (under Edexcel) they are comparisons of two features and two pieces, eg Star Wars and Cinema Paradiso, tonality and instrumentation. However, you can definitely adapt here.

The next most important thing is that you must stick to a set structure where applicable. Mine that has been given by my teacher is this (I’ve adapted to your question):
•introduction, with time of writing, style and mood, and establishing what you’re writing about.
•one paragraph explaining a feature of one of the pieces, link back to Q
•another explaining the same feature in a separate piece
•repeat twice (4 paras) for regular 12 mark. Paragraphs roughly 6-10 lines long, except for intro
•conclusion evaluating similarities and differences

For your question:
•do three paragraphs evaluating each feature (x3 paras)
•use the rest of the structure above.

For some points for your question, write about:
•Melody - played by concertino solo instruments. Scalic and conjunct. Many melodies which interweave. Subject and answer (links to texture too). Some stretto.
•Texture - mainly fugal and contrapuntal. However, has passages of monophony+homophony+canon. Sparser at the start, gets fuller.
•Harmony - standard Baroque really. Cadential chord progressions. Played mostly by harpsichord which does figured bass harmony.

Use specific bar numbers, and for AO4 marks, you HAVE to link back and comment on effect.

Also remember to be listening to the pieces extensively: in the exam you will have close to 35 minutes to write this essay.

Hope this helps!! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by martin_larsen

The most important thing when doing a music 12 marker imo is linking back to the question. It’s not just stating as many features as possible: instead, explain WHY they are effective and how they make a good exploitation of melody, texture and harmony.

As far as 12 marks go, in the actual exam (under Edexcel) they are comparisons of two features and two pieces, eg Star Wars and Cinema Paradiso, tonality and instrumentation. However, you can definitely adapt here.

The next most important thing is that you must stick to a set structure where applicable. Mine that has been given by my teacher is this (I’ve adapted to your question):
•introduction, with time of writing, style and mood, and establishing what you’re writing about.
•repeat twice for regular 12 mark. Paragraphs roughly 6-10 lines long.

For your question:
•do three paragraphs evaluating each feature.

•Melody - played by concertino solo instruments. Scalic and conjunct. Many melodies which interweave. Subject and answer (links to texture too). Some stretto.
•Texture - mainly fugal and contrapuntal. However, has passages of monophony+homophony+canon. Sparser at the start, gets fuller.
•Harmony - standard Baroque really. Cadential chord progressions. Played mostly by harpsichord which does figured bass harmony.

Use specific bar numbers, and for AO4 marks, you HAVE to link back and comment on effect.

Absolute Legend, Thank you soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Alex423
Absolute Legend, Thank you soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!

Anytime!!
Reply 4
Stumbled upon this. Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Wait how did I get here again...
Original post by makSyak
Wait how did I get here again...

Mans lost :lol:

Where you trying to get to?
Reply 7
Nah I was just searching for tips for music essays, accidentally stumbled on this thread again lol
Reply 8
Original post by username4855910

•repeat twice (4 paras) for regular 12 mark. Paragraphs roughly 6-10 lines long, except for intro

For your question:
•do three paragraphs evaluating each feature (x3 paras)

Also remember to be listening to the pieces extensively: in the exam you will have close to 35 minutes to write this essay.

Ps what the melody is played by isn’t a melody point, but rather an instrumentation (or forces) point. Also fortspinnug is a good way to describe the interweaving melodies. Thanks for the post and advice though!!!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Can someone please send any example 12 markers they may have done as I really need a clear structure I can sort of copy

Quick Reply

Latest