The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford MSc Clinical and Therapeutic Neuroscience Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by QueenBizzle
Thanks so much for your response! I’m trying not to lose hope, although realistically I know I don’t really stand a chance. Maybe I’ll apply again next year :smile:

It's so easy to feel that way! But you know, since these applications are so competitive, you not getting in doesn't necessarily mean that your application was not up to standard. :smile:

And yes, you very well could apply next year! With more experience under your belt, you can only strengthen your application in the long run :wink: Fingers crossed!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hey do you know if the course is running this coming academic year in 2020? I stumbled across this course today but it isnt open for applications - have i missed the deadline :frown:
Original post by Redpurplelane
Hey do you know if the course is running this coming academic year in 2020? I stumbled across this course today but it isnt open for applications - have i missed the deadline :frown:

Unfortunately i think the deadline was the 10th January
has anyone heard back from the program? anxiously waiting......
Original post by mingming174
has anyone heard back from the program? anxiously waiting......

Nope! Waiting anxiously too.

When I phoned them, Tracy (the course organiser) said that they’d get back to me about the application at the very end of January, or more likely, the first weeks of February.

When I phoned them, Tracy (the course organiser) said that they’d get back to me about the application at the very end of January, or more likely, the first weeks of February.

Do you reckon this means they’re not doing interviews this year?
Original post by kathyidk
Do you reckon this means they’re not doing interviews this year?

I honestly don’t know... I think it very much depends on the number of applicants. I think last year 45 people applied and 20 got in. So they didn’t “need” the interviews.

This year round it feels like the course is slightly more popular. I’ll wait another week, and then I’ll call them for an update. You could try giving them a ring maybe? So far they’ve been very helpful and responsive over the phone :smile:
I honestly don’t know... I think it very much depends on the number of applicants. I think last year 45 people applied and 20 got in. So they didn’t “need” the interviews.

This year round it feels like the course is slightly more popular. I’ll wait another week, and then I’ll call them for an update. You could try giving them a ring maybe? So far they’ve been very helpful and responsive over the phone :smile:

If they are interviewing, we would hopefully know by next friday as it says on the website that applicants will know within 3 weeks if theyve been successful for interviews

So about a week or two...Thanks for letting me know!
Reply 29
Has anyone heard back from this course yet? I'm on a low 1st so not sure how competitive my grades will be.
Original post by lpylb4
Has anyone heard back from this course yet? I'm on a low 1st so not sure how competitive my grades will be.

I haven’t heard back either. You could call them.

I’m on a low 2:1 so if I were you I wouldn’t worry too much :wink: . Hopefully my work experience and placements will “make up” for it. Although I doubt it.
Reply 31
I haven’t heard back either. You could call them.

I’m on a low 2:1 so if I were you I wouldn’t worry too much :wink: . Hopefully my work experience and placements will “make up” for it. Although I doubt it.

Actually really strange co-incidence I just a few minutes got a rejection email from the straight neuroscience MSC from oxford, as I applied to both, but they didn't mention the clinical application at all.

The straight neuroscience is crazy competitive the email said there were over 350 applicants and last year only 13 places? So hopefully the clinical will be less competitive :O
Yes fingers crossed! Best of luck to you.

Yes I did consider applying to the normal Neuroscience one, but like you say, competition was fierce. I knew I wouldn’t stand a chance.

Could you let me know when you hear something back? Last time I applied to oxford, they forgot to send the rejection letters so I just waited around forever.

Also, Out of interest, are you applying with a predicted grade or a completed degree?
Reply 33
Yes fingers crossed! Best of luck to you.

Yes I did consider applying to the normal Neuroscience one, but like you say, competition was fierce. I knew I wouldn’t stand a chance.

Could you let me know when you hear something back? Last time I applied to oxford, they forgot to send the rejection letters so I just waited around forever.

Also, Out of interest, are you applying with a predicted grade or a completed degree?

Best of luck to you too!

Yes in hindsight I sort of regret applying it was a waste of the application fee as for sure my grades and experience were not competitive enough.

Yes, I will update you if I hear anything, they should send out all the emails at the same time right? I'm not sure how it works tbh. That's rubbish that you didn't hear anything before! Was that for undergrad?

I'm applying based off grades I got in 2nd and 1st year I'm in the 3rd year of my undergraduate degree.
If it is helpful I'll tell you my academic profile:

I study Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Nottingham, we don't have predicted grades but I got low firsts in both years so am basing it off that. I was also a research assistant at another University over the summer, but apart from that and mentoring younger years I don't have a lot extra on my personal statement.

Let me know about you :smile:
Original post by lpylb4
Best of luck to you too!

Yes in hindsight I sort of regret applying it was a waste of the application fee as for sure my grades and experience were not competitive enough.

Yes, I will update you if I hear anything, they should send out all the emails at the same time right? I'm not sure how it works tbh. That's rubbish that you didn't hear anything before! Was that for undergrad?

I'm applying based off grades I got in 2nd and 1st year I'm in the 3rd year of my undergraduate degree.
If it is helpful I'll tell you my academic profile:

I study Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Nottingham, we don't have predicted grades but I got low firsts in both years so am basing it off that. I was also a research assistant at another University over the summer, but apart from that and mentoring younger years I don't have a lot extra on my personal statement.

Let me know about you :smile:

I appreciate your message, it’s always nice to see different backgrounds!

I actually applied to Oxford for Medicine, and they never really got back to me, I had to call them to get my rejection letter.

I study Medical Sciences at Oxford Brookes, and currently (taking into consideration first year and my lowest two marks) I’m at a low 2:1. That being said, my uni disregards first year and the lowest two marks in the final degree classification, so I’m actually on track for a strong 2:1. I take neuroscience as a third year module, and my final year dissertation is about depression (from a bioinformatics, genetics and treatment POV). So it’s an area I’m definitely passionate about.

I did work experience twice in a hospital, laboratory and pharmacy. I do volunteering with Mental Health. I don’t know how valuable this experience is tbh. I think my biggest let down will be my marks.

My end goal is medicine, and I’m taking a detour via a route I find really interesting. Hopefully it all works out!
Hi, all! There was an applicant who posted in the general Oxford Postgraduate thread that the department shortlisted yesterday. Hopefully this means we will get some news soon.
Original post by kathyidk
Hi, all! There was an applicant who posted in the general Oxford Postgraduate thread that the department shortlisted yesterday. Hopefully this means we will get some news soon.

Thanks for letting us know! I’m stalking this thread a bit too obsessively now hehe
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 37
I appreciate your message, it’s always nice to see different backgrounds!

I actually applied to Oxford for Medicine, and they never really got back to me, I had to call them to get my rejection letter.

I study Medical Sciences at Oxford Brookes, and currently (taking into consideration first year and my lowest two marks) I’m at a low 2:1. That being said, my uni disregards first year and the lowest two marks in the final degree classification, so I’m actually on track for a strong 2:1. I take neuroscience as a third year module, and my final year dissertation is about depression (from a bioinformatics, genetics and treatment POV). So it’s an area I’m definitely passionate about.

I did work experience twice in a hospital, laboratory and pharmacy. I do volunteering with Mental Health. I don’t know how valuable this experience is tbh. I think my biggest let down will be my marks.

My end goal is medicine, and I’m taking a detour via a route I find really interesting. Hopefully it all works out!

They disregard the lowest marks? I've never heard of that! Hopefully my uni does that too haha
Wow you have a lot of experience that should help you loads and show your commitment.

Did you apply to other places? I applied to UCL and Kings, but just really want to hear back from this course now even if it is a rejection which I'm sure it will be :')
Reply 38
Original post by neuropathology
they were shortlisting :smile:

Does that mean we should have got an email by now if we were going to receive an offer?
Reply 39
Original post by neuropathology
no, she said she will tell us the outcome next week

Oh okay thankyou, a bit more waiting to do then :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending