The Student Room Group

First car

I'm 16 and just got my provisional license, what do i do next lol? A bit stuck
Reply 1
wait a year. you can't drive a car in the UK until you are 17
Original post by oldman50
wait a year. you can't drive a car in the UK until you are 17

oh forgot to say im turning 17 this month
Start looking around for local driving instructors (if you can afford to), look at reviews online and ask friends/family for recommendations
Also recommend getting your parents/guardians to look at getting learner insurance for their car so you can practice (obviously when you are 17). I practised with my parents and it helped massively
Hope this helps
Original post by Lshort17
Also recommend getting your parents/guardians to look at getting learner insurance for their car so you can practice (obviously when you are 17). I practised with my parents and it helped massively
Hope this helps

Thank you
I don't know if they'll be in your area but I used pass and go and had the 4 in one app for the theory test that's £4.99 on both app stores do the theory along side lessons I found that easier than tying it without the lessons, don't learn with your parents if they have bad habits you'll only pick them up
Original post by xmelanieee

Learn theory ASAP, it really reinforces your first steps. Find a decent driving instructor, remember that cheaper per lesson could lead to more lessons overall. Consider whether you need a car or want one because even the cheapest viable car will cost £3000 to buy insure tax fix and all the other stuff that will come up in the first year. Get your parents to take you out after you've had as few listens but don't let them tell you what to do unless 1.) they have spoken to your diving instructor 2.) they hold some form of advanced qualification themselves. Good luck.
Original post by Gorbachav
Learn theory ASAP, it really reinforces your first steps. Find a decent driving instructor, remember that cheaper per lesson could lead to more lessons overall. Consider whether you need a car or want one because even the cheapest viable car will cost £3000 to buy insure tax fix and all the other stuff that will come up in the first year. Get your parents to take you out after you've had as few listens but don't let them tell you what to do unless 1.) they have spoken to your diving instructor 2.) they hold some form of advanced qualification themselves. Good luck.

But its not always good going for a cheaper one as they may not be as good, best thing to do is ask other people from word of mouth
Original post by User.na.me
I don't know if they'll be in your area but I used pass and go and had the 4 in one app for the theory test that's £4.99 on both app stores do the theory along side lessons I found that easier than tying it without the lessons, don't learn with your parents if they have bad habits you'll only pick them up

Thank you so much
Original post by Gorbachav

Thank you! This is really helpful
Reply 11
Original post by xmelanieee

book some lessons! (for when you're 17)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending