The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE retake and Uni

Hi,

I am currently re taking maths GCSE at 19 at a evening class at my old school as I need it to get into university. Its on the exam board AQA spec B, this means that I can only take a exam worth 50% of my mark in the summer therefore having to wait till summer GCSE results day to know if I am into uni.
I don't really doubt my ability (even though I got a mid D last time) to get the qualification but there is a lot of pressure on me as I'm working full time.
Thinking that it might be a good idea to go back as a private candidate to my old college where all exams can be taken during January on ED Excel, although this would mean paying £40 and having to do all the work in the next month without any tuition. I also only have a D grade on the course work that I did there, meaning that there will be a lot riding on the exams.
The alternative is to carry on at the evening class which I am doing at my old school take 50% of the exams in March and then the rest in summer and wait for the dreaded results day. This would also prevent me from retaking any exams; but it would all be at a steady pace with tuition and I think almost 99.99% I will get the C if I carry on with the evening class.
I would really appreciate views on what I should do?

Thanks
If you're 99.9% sure you'll get a C if you stay where you are, I'd just stick with that. It would be a bit risky cutting down the amount of time you have to revise and only submitting D-grade coursework, not to mention having to pay £40! It's true that you couldn't resit the exams and still go to uni if you get below a C, but I'm sure you won't if you work hard. Best of luck! :biggrin:

Latest