The Student Room Group

Does gcse grades impact my university course?

I'll be honest, my think my grades are good, mainly passes and above.

One thing I'm most worried about is maths, and how I am supposed to get a grade 6 to get to the university course i want to potentially do.

I am most afraid of getting a grade 4 or 5 in the GCSE and that they won't let me in to the course i want to do in uni (which will probably be the same for most universities) and i will have to do something I hate, but will need to have a stable career.

Will they really let me in if I get below what I need in JUST maths? even if i do well in other gcses and my a levels?
Original post by jelly-fishes
I'll be honest, my think my grades are good, mainly passes and above.

One thing I'm most worried about is maths, and how I am supposed to get a grade 6 to get to the university course i want to potentially do.

I am most afraid of getting a grade 4 or 5 in the GCSE and that they won't let me in to the course i want to do in uni (which will probably be the same for most universities) and i will have to do something I hate, but will need to have a stable career.

Will they really let me in if I get below what I need in JUST maths? even if i do well in other gcses and my a levels?

People are usually unduly worried about GCSE requirements... but pretty much the one and only general requirement is achieving at least a 6 in English and Maths. They specifically want you to achieve a 6 in Maths because they're interested in your Maths ability (regardless of course) so if you don't achieve a 6 in GCSE Maths and it's listed as a requirement in the university website then no, you won't be able to go to that uni, regardless of how well you did in your other GCSEs. However, you can always resit GCSE Maths if you get less than 6 - you still have plenty of time to practice and address any problems you have with maths though so I suggest you start addressing them and start believing in yourself!
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
People are usually unduly worried about GCSE requirements... but pretty much the one and only general requirement is achieving at least a 6 in English and Maths. They specifically want you to achieve a 6 in Maths because they're interested in your Maths ability (regardless of course) so if you don't achieve a 6 in GCSE Maths and it's listed as a requirement in the university website then no, you won't be able to go to that uni, regardless of how well you did in your other GCSEs. However, you can always resit GCSE Maths if you get less than 6 - you still have plenty of time to practice and address any problems you have with maths though so I suggest you start addressing them and start believing in yourself!

Thank you, I've been looking for a certain answer because the Internet beats around the bush and doesn't give any certain answer. I'll make sure to try my best for a 6. If I don't, then as you said, I always have other methods of getting there. Thanks!

(btw if I get a pass but its still not a 6 will I still be able to retake maths? or only if you fail (grade 3 and below)? Or will the university organise something to retake the maths GCSE (meaning you can't voluntarily retake if you pass with a 4 and above)?
Apologies for the questions!
Original post by jelly-fishes
Thank you, I've been looking for a certain answer because the Internet beats around the bush and doesn't give any certain answer. I'll make sure to try my best for a 6. If I don't, then as you said, I always have other methods of getting there. Thanks!

(btw if I get a pass but its still not a 6 will I still be able to retake maths? or only if you fail (grade 3 and below)? Or will the university organise something to retake the maths GCSE (meaning you can't voluntarily retake if you pass with a 4 and above)?
Apologies for the questions!

You can retake Maths regardless of the grade you got :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard
You can retake Maths regardless of the grade you got :smile:

thank you so much! I feel a bit more relieved knowing it's not the end of the world and I get a second chance! thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest