The Student Room Group

I'm bad at driving

I know there's people who've had it worse than me but i still don't think i should dismiss my feelings for this. For the past 7-8 months i've been driving with my instructor, but i keep messing up and i just have delayed reaction times for everything on the road, i'm too hesitant and i keep going either off too much on the left side or right side. I can tell my instructor just sees me as a long cause. He said we'd eventually do a mock test but we never did so i'm just assuming it was because i was never up to standard in the first place. My mother booked my driving test around november so i had 3 months to get better. But no i stayed pretty much the same and made no improvement, kept on doing the same mistakes and could tell my instructor just hated every second with me cause i just suck so much. I did my test this week, i failed horribly. Literally hitting the curb in the first 30 seconds when turning to the side road....i just cannot judge where my left wheel is, its not fair, like if i even had a reference point, how am i supposed to turn, do observation and judge wheel simultaneously. Anyway i knew i already failed. After i messed up from there it just was consistently bad. Made 3 serious faults in total. I need to sort of my steering control, be able to read signs quickly and do more observation.

Then after all that, i was just disappointed and sad after having 7-8 months preparation for driving and failing in such a way made me really frustrated and mortified. I began to calm down and just try again next time. But on the same week, my best friend had his test too. And today he passed. I'm happy for him...i really am. But it just makes me so sad that he passed first try with only driving for 2 and a half months. I really am just a lost cause. He would ask me for help in driving but now that he's passed before me i just feel so unmotivated and depressed to keep going. My instructor just hates me and just keeps me around to milk of money its so easy to see that. I just disappoint everyone around me including myself.

Why the heck do some people pass first time in almost everything. Where i just fail and fail and fail over again. It just sucks to be how i am. My instructor tells me i need to talk more but what am i supposed to talk about? How incapable i am from just turning into one road and without hitting the curb. He was definitely pissed when i hit the curb with his car especially me being under his name as his student. It's been a rough week for me so far...life is just ripping me apart
Are you doing practice between lessons? You could sort the steering out by spending a few hours driving round a quiet car park or industrial estate on a Sunday.
Sorry to say it but driving is a privilage not a right. You don't rock up to a university with a E in music and demand to be a professor in engineering. Like anything, you have to work for it. I don't mean this in a nasty way, but complaining here won't do anything. Get someone to record your driving, watch it, look at where your mistakes are and learn from them.
Can get some practice in with parents/relatives in between your lessons, it will really help
Why did your mum book your test for November when you weren't ready for it?

It sounds like you could really benefit from going out with a parent and practising in their car, the extra experience between lessons will really speed things up, just remember to take out insurance and use L plates. But life's not a race. It doesn't matter if your friend passed before you with fewer months of learning, not everyone is naturally good at driving but if you keep at it and practice as much as you can you'll do it eventually.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending