The Student Room Group

I feel so insecure

Basically I recently started driving lessons and I have had 6 hours of lessons and I can barely drive around residential areas.

Why am I so bad at it? My friend had her first lesson and she went on second gear and she was apparently “driving good”. Other people told me they actually drove to places on their first lesson whereas I was barely learning how to start a car on my first lesson.

Is it just me? Please I feel so insecure. Someone I know passed their test with 16 hours while I have barely driven anywhere in 6 hours.
Everybody will learn at different rates and getting the knack of clutch control is hard! If you feel like you should be making more progress then you might want to look at another instructor. If everything else fails, go automatic!
People learn things at different paces, and you shouldn’t compare yourself to those who learn a bit faster than you. Focus on how to improve and put all your energy into doing your best, rather than thinking of Rebecca who passed her test quicker than you. I’m sure she had challenges as well.
Good luck with driving :smile:
The worst thing you can do so early on is start comparing yourself to other people. You can't really judge your standard of driving within a few lessons, and some instructors like to do very, very basic things on the first lesson, especially if the pupil has never driven before. I started up the car, went up to second gear and drove in a straight line, got used to steering and spacial awareess, then pulled up alongside the pavement on my second lesson.

Ultimately some people can naturally pick up driving really easily and some can't. I'm didn't but I'm okay with that, it doesn't mean I'm not a good driver - because I am - it just took me a long time to get to where I am now.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending