The Student Room Group

Is an MSc Psychology conversion worth doing at all?

I'm thinking about doing an MSc Psychology conversion course.

Brief background: I have a BSc and MSc in Environmental Engineering. Graduated in 2017, stuck in a dead-end retail job because the job market in this industry is impenetrable where I live. I developed a real passion for psychology in 2016 and have continued studying it on my own over the past 4 years.

My long term goals are either to become a clinical psychologist (which involves doing a DClinPsy - extremely competitive courses, ~5% acceptance rate) or have a research career in academia.

Is doing an MSc Psychology conversion worth it in light of these aims, or should I just not bother? I know that the clinical psychology route is a long and winding road and, realistically, will take 7-10 years to get into. I'm willing to put that time in, if I'm able to take advantage of opportunities.

I'd like to hear from people who have done MSc conversion courses. Does it actually open doors for you and lead to new things, or is it just a money spinner for universities?
Reply 1
Also interested in an answer to this but haven't seen anyone on this board or others talking too much about post conversion opportunities ... : /
Reply 2
Original post by ajaogo
Also interested in an answer to this but haven't seen anyone on this board or others talking too much about post conversion opportunities ... : /

Hopefully they're all too busy doing a DClinPsy to browse these forums. :biggrin:

Where are you thinking of applying? What are your psychological interests? What do you hope to do with your conversion MSc?
(edited 4 years ago)
If you want to become a registered, chartered psychologist but don't have the necessary psychology background then a conversion course is essential, you won't get onto a psychology MSc or doctoral course without one (or an accredited undergrad)
Original post by twd49
I'm thinking about doing an MSc Psychology conversion course.

Brief background: I have a BSc and MSc in Environmental Engineering. Graduated in 2017, stuck in a dead-end retail job because the job market in this industry is impenetrable where I live. I developed a real passion for psychology in 2016 and have continued studying it on my own over the past 4 years.

My long term goals are either to become a clinical psychologist (which involves doing a DClinPsy - extremely competitive courses, ~5% acceptance rate) or have a research career in academia.

Is doing an MSc Psychology conversion worth it in light of these aims, or should I just not bother? I know that the clinical psychology route is a long and winding road and, realistically, will take 7-10 years to get into. I'm willing to put that time in, if I'm able to take advantage of opportunities.

I'd like to hear from people who have done MSc conversion courses. Does it actually open doors for you and lead to new things, or is it just a money spinner for universities?

Hi, did you manage to go and do the conversion? I'm in a similar position to you and trying to figure out if it really is worth doing and which unis are good for it :smile:
Reply 5
Hi, What did you end up doing ?
In a very similar situation.
@ahoo
If you are interested in doing an MSc Psychology (Conversion) make sure that it is accredited by the British Psychological Society.

Arden University run the course with either a blended learning option (Manchester, London, Leeds, Birmingham etc.) or 100% online, I did the latter, and they have the best virtual learning environment I have come across - and I have worked in education for the best part of 10 years.

For an unbiased view (as I am naturally going to champion where I studied), for your choices make sure you check out their quality report with the QAA (a bit like Ofsted for H.E) and also their TEF rating report; both readily available online.

Before applying anywhere, I would speak to people in the profession as to find their exact route and the experience required at doctorate level

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Yes, conversion degrees in psychology (same in CS) can help towards your goal. Get a distinction and desperately try and get some work published while you're there, just to make sure.
Reply 8
Hi, I completed the Msc conversion programme in 2021 and graduated at the end of last year! Likewise, I was working towards getting into DClinPsych to become a clinical psychologist. However, halfway through the course, I realised that as international students, we don't stand a chance due to ineligibility for funding (so that was depressing lol).

As for after graduation, I think it depends on where you are located and also previous experiences.
Personally, none of my classmates I've known managed to get an assistant psychologist job here in NI (I'm still looking for it although i did saw one or two pop up - rarely tho). Oh, and you need to drive as it is one of the requirements.

Some graduates moved on to consulting, teaching, research assistants/admins or back to their previous jobs. In line with my previous work experience, i was given the opportunity to work as a support worker (Community inclusion) and then moved on to be a learning support assistant for children with severe complex needs.

Also, I'm in the midst of applying for a PhD so that route could be possible too!

Original post by ahoo
Hi, What did you end up doing ?
In a very similar situation.
Hi @twd49,

I hope you’re having a good week!

The MSc Psychology Conversion course is a great course to study if you have a first degree in another subject area. It means you could go on and train to be a professional psychologist - for example, by studying for a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology.

Ensuring that this course is BPS Accredited is important as it will give you the opportunity to gain graduate or chartered membership for the Graduate Basis for Charterships (GBC). GBC is an important requirement for becoming a professional psychologist in areas such as clinical psychology.
We do offer an MSc Psychology conversion course and more information can be found here: https://uel.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/msc-psychology

If you need further advice, we are also holding an event on Tuesday 25th of April 2023 which will give you an opportunity to ask the academic tutor questions about the course, how to prepare for it, what are the career options and about any work experience. You can sign up to the event here: https://events.unibuddy.co/university-of-east-london/what-is-psychology-and-why-should-you-study-it-at-uel-25th-of-april

-Samantha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending