The Student Room Group

parents won’t let me move out for uni

hello so im in year 13 basically, im American and applied for some uk unis. mainly bc it’s way affordable & only three years vs our four years & I deffo don’t want anything local. but, as soon as I mentioned it to my parents they freaked out, hid my passport and documents!.

im a girl & they’re very ... cultural. they don’t want me moving out because I’m a girl & it’s seem as if it’s wrong to them. we don’t get along, my father is very physically abusive & my mother has always been on his side :frown:

I can’t take it anymore, I’m 18 & know “legally” I can do whatever. but culturally I’m still a “child” until I’m married off, if anyone ethic understands lol. my mother said I would be dead to her if I moved out & I honestly don’t know if she means that or.... please help.
Reply 1
Let's say you were to move out. Do you have enough money to support yourself? because if you are still financial dependent on your parents, leaving would be a bit of an issue. Especially if they decide to cut you off financially
Reply 2
Original post by jas149
Let's say you were to move out. Do you have enough money to support yourself? because if you are still financial dependent on your parents, leaving would be a bit of an issue. Especially if they decide to cut you off financially

well its only February & uni is in September, I have some money saved up plus financial aid. But I plan on working next month to save more
Original post by toptier
well its only February & uni is in September, I have some money saved up plus financial aid. But I plan on working next month to save more

then move out!! If you have the tuition fees+the living costs then move out and don't listen to your parents.
I think your parents are being very selfish and short sighted, not wanting to see the best for there child.
I would have one final conversation with them.
If still no go and you can support yourself move out and pursue your dream, you will only regret it in the long run if you dont.
Good luck. X
Original post by Anonymous
my father is very physically abusive

If this is true then it's definitely a matter for the police. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. This man needs to be spending quality time with Bubba, in the big house.
Reply 6
Original post by toptier

i feel really guilty though? i don’t know why
Reply 7
Original post by David Getling
If this is true then it's definitely a matter for the police. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. This man needs to be spending quality time with Bubba, in the big house.

🥴🥴 nooo he has a ton of kids to support n it’s not that big of a deal lots of kids get whooped. usually for a valid reason tho which my dad clearly doesn’t understand
Original post by toptier
🥴🥴 nooo he has a ton of kids to support n it’s not that big of a deal lots of kids get whooped. usually for a valid reason tho which my dad clearly doesn’t understand

Even hiding documents and passports is abusive to the best of my knowledge. If you're being physically abused too, definitely phone the police.
Just because lots of kids get hit as punishment, doesn't mean it's okay. Being hit by your parents ever is abuse.
Please contact the police or speak to someone at school. I didn't realise how bad my home situation was until I told people at college (our version of high school basically), it's probably worse than you think tbh, because you're used to it.
I get that's not the point of the thread, but I think if you told your school your dad was physically abusive and hiding your documents, they may be able to do something about it.
To me it sounds like your parents are pretty unreasonable, and I don't want you to put yourself at risk, but if you feel able to without being abused, maybe try explaining why you want to go to a British university. If they see you have a solid plan and reasoning (eg. it's cheaper, shorter, and you can go more in depth into one or two specific subject(s)), they might be more understanding. Please don't put yourself in danger though.
That is a pretty **** situation to be in your mum saying your dead sounds like threat and that's not ok. I would recommend the nuclear optionI'm going to put it in a spoiler and just adapt it to your situation

Spoiler

I'd also give ti uni A ring now see what they can recommend good luck.
Original post by jonathanemptage
That is a pretty **** situation to be in your mum saying your dead sounds like threat and that's not ok. I would recommend the nuclear optionI'm going to put it in a spoiler and just adapt it to your situation

Spoiler

I'd also give ti uni A ring now see what they can recommend good luck.

This is actually so amazing thank you SO much. Yes my parents are very strict Muslims, I love Islam, but they are just so strict & toxic. I actually love this advice so much I was really worried about how I should go about on The plane & packing. Should I leave just before Move in day so when I land I can go straight to my Accomodation? ❤️
hello so im in year 13 basically, im American and applied for some uk unis. mainly bc it’s way affordable & only three years vs our four years & I deffo don’t want anything local. but, as soon as I mentioned it to my parents they freaked out, hid my passport and documents!.

im a girl & they’re very ... cultural. they don’t want me moving out because I’m a girl & it’s seem as if it’s wrong to them. we don’t get along, my father is very physically abusive & my mother has always been on his side :frown:

I can’t take it anymore, I’m 18 & know “legally” I can do whatever. but culturally I’m still a “child” until I’m married off, if anyone ethic understands lol. my mother said I would be dead to her if I moved out & I honestly don’t know if she means that or.... please help.

Honestly just do it. If you do what they say you’ll be trapped in their controlling ways but if you came to the uk you’d not only be setting boundaries but you’d also have way more freedom
Original post by toptier
This is actually so amazing thank you SO much. Yes my parents are very strict Muslims, I love Islam, but they are just so strict & toxic. I actually love this advice so much I was really worried about how I should go about on The plane & packing. Should I leave just before Move in day so when I land I can go straight to my Accomodation? ❤️

Islam and them being a Muslim doesn’t warrant them to react or act in that manner and if they use that as an excuse to justify their behaviour that’s not okay

It’s cultural ideologies unfortunately that make people so rigid in their regressive mindset.
Original post by toptier

If you can Land and go straight to your halls that would be ideal but it may be easier like a day or two before (which would mean a hotel) I'd ask the uni how early you can move in and move in then Also see if you can amend your Visa to allow you to work when your here to support your self. A little work would help lot with funds See if you could do some work with Aim higher (basically involves working with school kids promoting uni and stuff) I did that at uni and it's pretty fun. Bar work is very popular among students all but I guess you probably wouldn't do that.
Islam and them being a Muslim doesn’t warrant them to react or act in that manner and if they use that as an excuse to justify their behaviour that’s not okay

It’s cultural ideologies unfortunately that make people so rigid in their regressive mindset.

Agreed. Islam is a great religion, but once you mix in cultural views it messes things up.
Original post by jonathanemptage
If you can Land and go straight to your halls that would be ideal but it may be easier like a day or two before (which would mean a hotel) I'd ask the uni how early you can move in and move in then Also see if you can amend your Visa to allow you to work when your here to support your self. A little work would help lot with funds See if you could do some work with Aim higher (basically involves working with school kids promoting uni and stuff) I did that at uni and it's pretty fun. Bar work is very popular among students all but I guess you probably wouldn't do that.

Omg that sounds like a fun job, thank you so much I’ll deffo look into that !!
Original post by toptier
Omg that sounds like a fun job, thank you so much I’ll deffo look into that !!

It really is the university job shop should be able to help you with that.
I don’t think you have considered it carefully.

British universities charge £9250 for British students.

International students need to pay £26,700 per year which is around $34,500 just for tuition, factor in living costs and it all adds up to be very expensive. In addition to this you won’t qualify for a UK student loan because they’re only for British citizens.

I am sure that it is much cheaper to go to a university in your state
Original post by User135792468
I don’t think you have considered it carefully.

British universities charge £9250 for British students.

International students need to pay £26,700 per year which is around $34,500 just for tuition, factor in living costs and it all adds up to be very expensive. In addition to this you won’t qualify for a UK student loan because they’re only for British citizens.

I am sure that it is much cheaper to go to a university in your state

no my usa university would be almost doubled the british international rate.

my unis international is £ 12 , 924 so total £ 38,772 ($49,837)
my american uni total is $86,195
(edited 4 years ago)
I am very limited in knowledge of your situation so do consider my advice in that context but American uni offer substantially greater aid than do UK Uni. you can still move far away if you had originally applied to uni (or do next year) like Vanderbilt, top Ivies, UChicago, Amherst College, Williams College, Skidmore, Purdue and some others. This is especially ideal if you're domestic (speaking as an Indian international) as many uni are need blind. you can also ask for fee waivers for your application. Just tell them the exact situation you've told us. Copy paste. You can call them up and prob ask if you can send in an app now. I'm not sure but some rolling admission colleges may offer good aid/scholarships as well. that's also an option. You can look into that. Otherwise, the other suggestions on this thread are stellar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending