The Student Room Group

Car crash experience (new driver)

Hi, so I wanted to share my story as I saw some of you sharing yours as well.

Here is my story. I'm a new driver, and I think I felt confident because I was driving just fine for two days in a row by myself, but on Friday, as I was getting out with my car, I got stalled in a turn and got nervous because there were cars waiting behind me, so I pressed the gas pedal and didn't calculate well, so I ended up crashing with some plants. I feel so ashamed and scared at the same time that I've been crying two days straight. It was a minor accident, but I keep thinking what if I get in another accident in the future? What if someone got hurt? That makes me so nervous and scared that I was not able to drive today, I was trembling.

As the crash was near the building I live, almost everyone there ended up knowing about it. Some of them gave me advice and some others shamed me. I feel so awful.
Original post by ricesnow
Hi, so I wanted to share my story as I saw some of you sharing yours as well.

Here is my story. I'm a new driver, and I think I felt confident because I was driving just fine for two days in a row by myself, but on Friday, as I was getting out with my car, I got stalled in a turn and got nervous because there were cars waiting behind me, so I pressed the gas pedal and didn't calculate well, so I ended up crashing with some plants. I feel so ashamed and scared at the same time that I've been crying two days straight. It was a minor accident, but I keep thinking what if I get in another accident in the future? What if someone got hurt? That makes me so nervous and scared that I was not able to drive today, I was trembling.

As the crash was near the building I live, almost everyone there ended up knowing about it. Some of them gave me advice and some others shamed me. I feel so awful.

Acht nasty experience, but no real harm done. And logically, you'll be more cautious from now on, so depending how you look at it there's less chance of you hurting someone now than there was Friday morning. Any damage to the car?

I wrote my car off through a set of traffic lights a few months ago, right outside my flat, it made the papers but i'd already got my car recovered when the photographer arrived, plus the police gave the reporter the wrong reg :redface: My suggestion is to go back out driving ASAP, simply move on from it confident that you've learned a lesson, otherwise it'll just fester and gnaw at you.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
Acht nasty experience, but no real harm done. And logically, you'll be more cautious from now on, so depending how you look at it there's less chance of you hurting someone now than there was Friday morning. Any damage to the car?

I wrote my car off through a set of traffic lights a few months ago, right outside my flat, it made the papers but i'd already got my car recovered when the photographer arrived, plus the police gave the reporter the wrong reg :redface: My suggestion is to go back out driving ASAP, simply move on from it confident that you've learned a lesson, otherwise it'll just fester and gnaw at you.

Thanks for your reply and for your suggestion, I'll take a break and get back to driving ASAP. I don't want to drive all nervous either.

There were some scratches on the bumper and the cover of one of the ring was misshapen. I have to get it checked, just in case.
You definitely need to get back into the car as soon as possible, even if only for a very very short poddle. It's absolutely okay to be nervous, you've given yourself a bit of a scare and brains absolutely love making sure you think about the worst case scenario.

The reality is you took out a couple of plants because you felt pressured. You have to remember that absolutely everybody on the road has been a new driver at some point and made the silly little mistakes that have taught them how to be a better drive. I've had friends reverse into my fence and then drive into next doors fence to correct the mistake, go over a zebra crossing while children waited and the police watched her do it, get stuck at the bottom of the hill because nobody taught him hill starts, go into what a friend thought was a fourth lane but it was, in fact, a lane for oncoming traffic. All super embarrassing in the moment but everyone survived and learned from what they did.

Try not to let it hold you back, take a breather if you need one but try not to wait too long because you'll make it a much bigger thing than it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending