The Student Room Group

NTU or DMU for Architectural Technology?

Hi, I'm struggling to decide between NTU and DMU. I got an unconditional from DMU and conditional from NTU however I'm not so worried about this. I would stay in accom at the uni however the commute for each uni is very different. £7.20 for DMU via bus (1hr) and £37 via X3 trains (2-3hrs). I feel as if DMU facilities and buildings are more modern and multicultural however Notts is generally safer and cleaner and has more to do in terms of shops and nightlife. At NTU my course is triple accredited however at DMU only has the one accreditation. DMU offers DMU global opportunities while NTU is more local UK based trips. I've been leaning towards NTU but after going to the open and going to the talk the head lecturer just seemed so unenthusiastic and not passionate about the subject. He only mentioned the negatives and wasn't really promoting the course to me. So please if anyone goes to either of these uni's for AT, what is or was your experience like and why should I choose that uni. Thank youuu and sorry for the longg message :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Uniadvicee
Hi, I'm struggling to decide between NTU and DMU. I got an unconditional from DMU and conditional from NTU however I'm not so worried about this. I would stay in accom at the uni however the commute for each uni is very different. £7.20 for DMU via bus (1hr) and £37 via X3 trains (2-3hrs). I feel as if DMU facilities and buildings are more modern and multicultural however Notts is generally safer and cleaner and has more to do in terms of shops and nightlife. At NTU my course is triple accredited however at DMU only has the one accreditation. DMU offers DMU global opportunities while NTU is more local UK based trips. I've been leaning towards NTU but after going to the open and going to the talk the head lecturer just seemed so unenthusiastic and not passionate about the subject. He only mentioned the negatives and wasn't really promoting the course to me. So please if anyone goes to either of these uni's for AT, what is or was your experience like and why should I choose that uni. Thank youuu and sorry for the longg message :smile:

Your post is a little confusing; you say you’d live in student accommodation, but then go on to discuss the commuting cost and distance. I’m going to assume you meant you’ll be living at home and travelling in to university, in which case... definitely choose the shorter distance, which in your case is DMU.

Another reason you might prefer DMU over NTU is the option of going part-time. This is fairly common from architectural technology/surveying degrees, where you’ll take up the option of working in practice and study on day-release (with the fees usually covered by your employer).

If I’ve got the wrong end of the stick and you won’t be commuting daily, I’d probably suggest NTU over DMU down to the multiple accreditation, but as neither is a CIAT centre of excellence, there’s not much in it.
I think it's pretty clear that she is staying in student accom and not commuting. Also she obviously isn't considering going part-time so I don't know why you are mentioning that. Architectural Technology is an excellent course with good earning potential for the future no matter which uni she chooses so by saying there's not much in it is just an uneducated comment. :wink:))))
NTU 100%. Had multiple people do architecture at NTU and it was amazing they said. Even so much so they are doing their MSC there too.
Original post by SabrinaSmith
I think it's pretty clear that she is staying in student accom and not commuting. Also she obviously isn't considering going part-time so I don't know why you are mentioning that. Architectural Technology is an excellent course with good earning potential for the future no matter which uni she chooses so by saying there's not much in it is just an uneducated comment. :wink:))))

I said there’s not much in it between two universities both offering CIAT accredited programmes, and where neither programme was markedly better by being identified as a CIAT Centre of Excellence; this has nothing to do with the value of studying architectural technology, nor the earnings potential, of which I made no comment.

And while the OP may not be considering part-time now, it is very common for AT’s to work full-time and study on day release, and having the option to switch programmes at a later date in the programme has value in and off itself.

It may have been clear to you regarding not commuting, it was less so to me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
what did u end up doing?
Which one did you choose?

I know that both DMU and NTU Architectural Technology degrees are Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT), that means they have been approved by professional institution and their content and structure has been reviewed. So at least you have certainty both programmes must be good in terms of meeting certain content/resources standards.

For University to be given CIAT Centre of Excellence status they must have at least one BSc as well as one MSc programmes Accredited by CIAT first, and on top of that they need to have an extensive research based culture which contributes to innovation of the AT discipline.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous5671
Which one did you choose?

I know that both DMU and NTU Architectural Technology degrees are Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT), that means they have been approved by professional institution and their content and structure has been reviewed. So at least you have certainty both programmes must be good in terms of meeting certain content/resources standards.

For University to be given CIAT Centre of Excellence status they must have at least one BSc as well as one MSc programmes Accredited by CIAT first, and on top of that they need to have an extensive research based culture which contributes to innovation of the AT discipline.

Hi, my daughter currently has offers to study Architectural Technology next year. Would going to a CIAT centre of Excellence benefit her more than just a CIAT accredited course?
Original post by nxrockx
Hi, my daughter currently has offers to study Architectural Technology next year. Would going to a CIAT centre of Excellence benefit her more than just a CIAT accredited course?

It depends. As stated above, Universities are given Centre of Excellence status only if they Accredit at least one BSc and one MSc courses by CIAT. You have certainty that there will be knowledgeable staff members who continue their research into the subject, and the status basically shows University's the dedication to the discipline and its future growth.

However that is not to say other universities do not have knowledgeable staff members. Technically if your daughter is going to study BSc programme which is Accredited by CIAT you have certainty that the content has been checked by and meets standards given by professional institution whether its Centre of Excellence or not. There are currently three centres- Edinburgh Napier, Robert Gordon and Derby University.

Check the list of Accredited programmes here to see if your daughter's course is one of them: https://architecturaltechnology.com/learning/study.html

She should compare the courses and also consider what her preferences are when it comes to location, travel, subjects, etc. to make sure she chooses a programme which suits her best. If you have any questions and are not sure I find the best is to contact the university course tutors directly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending