The Student Room Group

Things you wish you were told at the beginning of your AS/A2 year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
wish i was told that i wouldn't be taught half of the course for biology and chemistry lol.
and that critical thinking is bull****
That "Ethics and Philosophy" is actually called Religious Studies... didn't find that out until results day (RE makes it sound much easier/crap I reckon).

Also that ICT has nothing to do with computers and that I would be better off taking Physics when applying for Comp Science degrees. (more my own fault I suppose, should have researched :angry:)
Don't do Critical Thinking whatever your teacher says - it's useless and a waste of time tbh
Reply 583
Original post by h0ple55
So true!!!! It's like the bloody history boys!

I know! I was watching it the other day (filmed at my local grammar school, looking out for faces I know and also for revisionist history) and was just thinking exactly the same thing :|!

and I'm also starting to write like the one I'm desperate to impress like Dakin hahahah
Reply 584
Original post by h0ple55
Another thing that I think everyone starting college should realize:

If a teacher hardly ever refers to a textbook (for arts subjects), rarely sets essays and everyone gets high grades and you have lessons with lots of discussion that you really enjoy, you are likely do really badly on the exam.

Get the textbook and learn it to death, get the mark scheme and learn it to death and rip it to shreds, d lots of essays and mark them yourself.

Generally, if you think that you are doing really well with little textbook references and few essays marked, you are massively underperforming.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but I know so many people who loved their arts lessons (esp Lit and RS/Philosophy) and were getting As and Bs from the start of the year, only to get Cs to Es in the exams.

I was the opposite for Lit!
Everybody in my class was getting A's and B's through the year for their essays
Great discussions
I was getting D's (still bitter)
and got A B for AS :biggrin:. still smug about it!
Sort uni out and start thinking about what course you want to do pretty much as soon as you set foot into 6th form/year 12 on your first day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Start of A2 year: Hi, I'm you're new physics teacher and I am ABSOLUTELY shocking, if you fancy passing this year I suggest you invest in a tutor.. like, now :p:
"You don't have to do your photography in physical sketchbooks, you can create a digital portfolio if you're more comfortable with that."

****ers, because of that I got an E, now I'm on a B because I'm doing it digitally.
They never told me that its a bad idea taking both business and economics some universities count it as 1 A level and that Biology is a ball ache!
Don't do Biology, do Computing instead. Trust me.
"you do know that revision actually means teach yourself the syllabus, dont you?"
Personally

Psychology is run by an eccentric taskmaster, he will tell you about his guns and axes and will show you disturbing videos of men being castrated and women crying.

English is not about how well you can write and analyse a text, it is about how well you jump through the A0 hoops.

Your English Language teacher talks in riddles and you hate half the class.

Your English Lit teacher for AS is a bitter old man who hates everyone and thing.

Do a BTEC instead.

Generally

Date your notes.

Do tonnes of wider reading in the summer.

Start revising for Psychology EARLY because it will requires the most attention.

Do a soft fourth AS.
"Listen up you idiot, you coasted through AS Psychology but this year YOU. NEED. TO. REVISE."

Something along the lines of that.

Original post by Colour Me Pretty

English is not about how well you can write and analyse a text, it is about how well you jump through the A0 hoops.

And this completely. :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Your chemistry teacher will be fired and take your coursework with him so don't bother doing it in the first place because you'll just have to do it again.
One of your physics teachers will be **** so don't bother going to his lessons and just learn it yourself properly.
No matter how much your school nag you, their music ensembles aren't going to fall apart without you so spend half an hour of your time learning your part and don't bother going to rehearsals.
Your choir teacher, deputy head and headmistress are all in league together against you, you will get called into their offices for no apparent reason at least once a week and nothing will happen because of it because you're not doing anything wrong.
Your 'friend' who's been in and out of hospital isn't worth your time.
Take maths instead of geography because you'll get an A in maths and it will be of more use in the long run.
Stay the hell away from chemistry.
You'd get a D.

Oh and go to college do not stay in that ****-hole of a school.
Original post by Bella Occhi
"Listen up you idiot, you coasted through AS Psychology but this year YOU. NEED. TO. REVISE."

Oh god. This entirely.
I miss AS psychology :frown:
Reply 596
A-levels really mean "Advanced" levels and it's not just a fancy name :s-smilie:
C3 and C4 are hard. Put the proper amount of work in you lazy bum.
Reply 598
Original post by FireDeuce
The jump between AS and A2 is greater than GCSE and AS.

If that's true I have a massive problem.
I really didn't think anything could surpass the jump from GCSE Maths/Phys to As Maths/Phys ;-;

Original post by BJack
You don't really want to do physics, you know.

+1
Original post by JackWoot
That "Ethics and Philosophy" is actually called Religious Studies... didn't find that out until results day (RE makes it sound much easier/crap I reckon).

Also that ICT has nothing to do with computers and that I would be better off taking Physics when applying for Comp Science degrees. (more my own fault I suppose, should have researched :angry:)

Yeah the word 'Studies' makes any subject sound easier/crap, but Religious Studies is on the list of respected subjects for top unis anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest