The Student Room Group

First driving test in a few days

Hey.
Any advice for first driving test experience. Had about 50 hours of lessons and about 20 private. Really confident about driving ability, just nervous about the actual test. Any advice please :-)
It really helps to know the area the test centre is in a bit - you can't drive all the test routes, of course, but just being generally aware of the types of roads around the centre will mean that you're less likely to be phased on the day.
Make sure that your mirrors, head restraint etc are well positioned before the test, so that there's no chance of forgetting to adjust, etc,
Don't sit in silence in the waiting room, if possible... I found chatting to other people and my instructor really helped with my nerves.
If your examiner feels like you can manage it, they might ask you what you'd be doing if you weren't on the test or something similar. If you know that you can't multitask or that you're easily distracted, just ask them politely as you usually would if you could drive quietly - they won't mind but it can make a difference to you. For me, it was a benefit to talk to the examiner, but it really depends on the person!
Goodluck! I was SUPER nervous about my test too but passed 2nd time round.

Just remember:

- Keep as calm as possible and think of it as a normal driving lesson.

- You’re a good driver and your instructor wouldn’t have let you book the test if you weren’t ready.

- Lots and lots of mirror checks before you do anything! The examiner is testing you on your safety more than how “good” you drive.

- If you make a mistake DON’T panic, and carry on as normal. Remember you’re allowed 15 minors.
Reply 3
Thank you for the advice. We’ve done quite a few of the possible test routes so fingers crossed we go on one I’m familiar with lol

Yeah I prefer to drive in the quiet but don’t want to be rude :-(

I’m confident in just driving, it’s just such a huge deal for me, think it’s driving me crazy lol

Original post by redmeercat
It really helps to know the area the test centre is in a bit - you can't drive all the test routes, of course, but just being generally aware of the types of roads around the centre will mean that you're less likely to be phased on the day.
Make sure that your mirrors, head restraint etc are well positioned before the test, so that there's no chance of forgetting to adjust, etc,
Don't sit in silence in the waiting room, if possible... I found chatting to other people and my instructor really helped with my nerves.
If your examiner feels like you can manage it, they might ask you what you'd be doing if you weren't on the test or something similar. If you know that you can't multitask or that you're easily distracted, just ask them politely as you usually would if you could drive quietly - they won't mind but it can make a difference to you. For me, it was a benefit to talk to the examiner, but it really depends on the person!
Reply 4
Thank you!
My driving instructor seems to be really confident I’ll pass first time but not sure if he’s just saying that to ease my nerves lol.
Really hoping it goes well.
Gonna check my mirrors every 10 seconds! Haha.

Original post by sammyj97
Goodluck! I was SUPER nervous about my test too but passed 2nd time round.

Just remember:

- Keep as calm as possible and think of it as a normal driving lesson.

- You’re a good driver and your instructor wouldn’t have let you book the test if you weren’t ready.

- Lots and lots of mirror checks before you do anything! The examiner is testing you on your safety more than how “good” you drive.

- If you make a mistake DON’T panic, and carry on as normal. Remember you’re allowed 15 minors.
Original post by RNC
Thank you for the advice. We’ve done quite a few of the possible test routes so fingers crossed we go on one I’m familiar with lol

Yeah I prefer to drive in the quiet but don’t want to be rude :-(

I’m confident in just driving, it’s just such a huge deal for me, think it’s driving me crazy lol

I hope it goes well, I'm sure it will! I passed third time and it was a bit difficult the first few times, since I knew that I was capable of passing, but I've heard that people who pass second time (or more) are more confident in the long-term, so I suppose there's that! The examiners really don't mind not chatting/ chatting as you like to, so don't be embarrased about asking if you can focus :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by redmeercat
I hope it goes well, I'm sure it will! I passed third time and it was a bit difficult the first few times, since I knew that I was capable of passing, but I've heard that people who pass second time (or more) are more confident in the long-term, so I suppose there's that! The examiners really don't mind not chatting/ chatting as you like to, so don't be embarrased about asking if you can focus :smile:

Yeah they say 2nd time passers are less likely to have an accident so there’s that!
I’m just gonna have to fake it until I make it and pass lol
As best you can (!) just trying and ignore the examiner, especially what they writing, or not writing. Some examiners seem to constantly be looking at their paper and making notes, others hardly refer to it at all but it’s no indication of how you’re doing.

All you need to do is drive safe and you’ll pass. Stick to the basics and do them clearly and well - mirror checks, awareness of your surroundings, lane discipline etc. Best of luck :smile:
Original post by RNC
Yeah they say 2nd time passers are less likely to have an accident so there’s that!
I’m just gonna have to fake it until I make it and pass lol

I'm sur eyou'll pass first time, but if not, definitely!
Reply 9
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
As best you can (!) just trying and ignore the examiner, especially what they writing, or not writing. Some examiners seem to constantly be looking at their paper and making notes, others hardly refer to it at all but it’s no indication of how you’re doing.

All you need to do is drive safe and you’ll pass. Stick to the basics and do them clearly and well - mirror checks, awareness of your surroundings, lane discipline etc. Best of luck :smile:

Thank you! Fingers crossed nerves don’t get the best of me and I remember to do all my checks and drive carefully lol
Reply 10
Original post by rnc
hey.
Any advice for first driving test experience. Had about 50 hours of lessons and about 20 private. Really confident about driving ability, just nervous about the actual test. Any advice please :-)

i passed first time with 7 minors!!!! 😆😭
Original post by RNC
i passed first time with 7 minors!!!! 😆😭

Brilliant news!! Well done you :biggrin::banana:
Reply 12
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
Brilliant news!! Well done you :biggrin::banana:

Thank you so much!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending