The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
thanks a lot for the help everyone. I appreciate it :smile:

Also i live in hayes town, down the h98 route. :smile:

thanks once again
http://www.ucas.com/students/startapplication/apply09/personalstatement/whattoinclude

UCAS Apply also gives you some guidance as to what to include in your PS and how to write it. If I were you I would do more than simply run it through a spell-checker and make sure your apostrophes are in the right place. You'll need to look carefully over the writing style too - this includes things like semantics, sentence structure and placement, and overall structure. You will almost certainly find that the best way to do this is to have several people with experience in this sort of writing look it over several times - this might be your referee*, your teachers, your head of sixth-form, or by submission to PS Help here on TSR.

*It's pretty important that your referee knows your personal statement, so that they are able to write the best possible reference for you. Make sure you talk to them about the things you've included, and also about anything you haven't included that you think might affect a university's decision.
SpiritedAway
Things you've done that you got a certificate for (DON'T include GCSEs or A-levels unless it adds something e.g. "in my free time i taught myself conversational Spanish which i then took a GCSE in it (but don't waste your time and word count on saying what you got) of classes), e.g MV. things you've done where you DIDN'T get a certificate e.g. volunteer work outside of MV.

Why not?
Syafiquaaa
Why not?

because it shows you're willing to do things because you're keen, interested and willing and an active member of society, and it also makes it seem more selfless.
SpiritedAway
because it shows you're willing to do things because you're keen, interested and willing and an active member of society, and it also makes it seem more selfless.

Hang on, I'm a tad bit confused. Are you saying that we should mention activities that didn't involve certificates, or we shouldn't?
Syafiquaaa
Hang on, I'm a tad bit confused. Are you saying that we should mention activities that didn't involve certificates, or we shouldn't?

i'm saying that you SHOULD
I think SpiritedAway got carried away with subordinate clauses and parentheses there, reducing the clarity of her post a tad. You should mention activities without certificates if you have derived relevant skills and benefits from them.
yeah, rereading it even i couldn't make out what i'd sadi. but i'm too lazy to edit it now :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending