The Student Room Group

St. Hilda's@Ox vs. Newnham, Lucy Cavendish, & New Hall@Cam

I know that these are all women's colleges. Anyone here attend or know people that went there? What's it like? I actually applied to a woman's college in the US for undergrad and was admitted but after looking more into that particular school's environment...I changed my mind....was thinking maybe some places abroad would be better (for grad school). Anyone? Anyone know which ones may be a better place to live? Also, I hear that most girls dont want the all-female colleges...does this make an applicant more likely to get accepted there if she indicates the woman's college as first choice?
Reply 1
Also, what are the accomodations like? I know they are described on their respective websites, but I prefer first hand accounts of what it's like. :smile:
shouldn't you decide on what university you wish to attend first? and anyway, for postgrad, what college you go isn't really important.
Go to Newnham, Cambridge. Better accommodation, ranked more highly in college league table comparatively and more famous alumini.
Reply 4
firstly, application to university is not a game of chance....you are not more likely to be admitted to a "less popular" college.

Next, I can offer the advice on what I have seen, namely: new hall. It looks....amazing. The dome (where you have dinner) is uber cool! It's main buildings are super modern, really cool looking. However, it does remind you of a leisure centre...walking around with the open brick work and the sounds and water visible out of every window (lots of water features trick you into thinking there is a swimming pool in the centre). Also the toilets are super fancy!........you can really tell what turns me on eh :tongue:

No in all honesty, although it reminds me of a leisure centre, that can be a good thing (and i think it probably is!). Accomodation is also very reasonable for cambridge (from what i saw)
Reply 5
PittGirl06
Also, I hear that most girls dont want the all-female colleges...does this make an applicant more likely to get accepted there if she indicates the woman's college as first choice?

That doesn't apply for grad students. Undergrads apply to colleges, so applying to less popular colleges can be an advantage. But grads apply to departments first and colleges second, so by the time your application gets to a college you've already been accepted by a department. You're guaranteed a college place somewhere once you've got a departmental offer.
Oh yes, and for Newnham (not sure about others), you get extra money for studying there as a postgrad.
Reply 7
ah ok. I am probably going to apply to both. I was leaning more toward Cambridge though. Thanks for the info about choosing a department and then a college. I didn't know that. I am getting a headstart on making out my list of potential universities. I do not have a first choise yet but I am making my list (which will probably be refined by the time its time to apply and it depends on how I am doing toward the end of my BA and how my test scores turn out). Thanks for the information.
Reply 8
Evil Muffin
Go to Newnham, Cambridge. Better accommodation, ranked more highly in college league table comparatively and more famous alumini.

well said

Latest

Trending

Trending