The Student Room Group

Henrietta Barnett sixth form or Dame Alice Owens

Hi, I'd love any advice about Henrietta. I've gotten an offer to study maths, further maths, bio and chem and I have some questions. It's obviously a very good school, and I'd like to do Medicine at Oxbridge/ Russel Group unis.

What are the teachers like for science and maths? And what is the class size? Is the atmosphere really competitive or is it friendly? How easy is it to fit in and what leadership opportunities are there? Does Henrietta have any particularly good connections for Medicine at Oxbridge etc?

I'm currently already at Dame Alice and I love it here, I'm really involved in the school and the teachers are pretty good. I just don't know if I should choose Henrietta instead, seeing as I already have friends here and good connections with my teachers.

If any of you already go to Henrietta or transferred there, I'd love it if you could pm me with any advice or info about sixth form there. Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by pineapple_
Hi, I'd love any advice about Henrietta. I've gotten an offer to study maths, further maths, bio and chem and I have some questions. It's obviously a very good school, and I'd like to do Medicine at Oxbridge/ Russel Group unis.

What are the teachers like for science and maths? And what is the class size? Is the atmosphere really competitive or is it friendly? How easy is it to fit in and what leadership opportunities are there? Does Henrietta have any particularly good connections for Medicine at Oxbridge etc?

I'm currently already at Dame Alice and I love it here, I'm really involved in the school and the teachers are pretty good. I just don't know if I should choose Henrietta instead, seeing as I already have friends here and good connections with my teachers.

If any of you already go to Henrietta or transferred there, I'd love it if you could pm me with any advice or info about sixth form there. Thanks!

Hi! This isn't really going to answer your question as I don't go to Henrietta but I have an interview at your school next week :smile: What is the environment like??
Reply 2
Original post by Ortographer0311
Hi! This isn't really going to answer your question as I don't go to Henrietta but I have an interview at your school next week :smile: What is the environment like??

Oh hi! Yeah, the teachers at my school are super nice and helpful, I'm really good friends with them. It really depends on your year group, but generally we're pretty friendly and as long as you're open minded you'll fit right in. If you've got the interview that means you pretty much have the grades, so just be polite and respectful in the interview and I'm sure you'll get in. What school are you at now and what subjects are you applying for? Good luck!
Oh hi! Yeah, the teachers at my school are super nice and helpful, I'm really good friends with them. It really depends on your year group, but generally we're pretty friendly and as long as you're open minded you'll fit right in. If you've got the interview that means you pretty much have the grades, so just be polite and respectful in the interview and I'm sure you'll get in. What school are you at now and what subjects are you applying for? Good luck!

Hey, I am at St Michael's right now and I am applying for Spanish, Geography and Maths. What about you, are you leaning more towards leaving or staying?
But the annoying thing is I am kind of undecided about my options because like, I kind of like a lot of subjects and I have looked into your science departments and they look amazing.
Reply 5
Hey, I am at St Michael's right now and I am applying for Spanish, Geography and Maths. What about you, are you leaning more towards leaving or staying?

Hey, I applied for St Michaels too! I'm currently leaning towards staying at Dame Alice, because I'm super involved with the school and it has really good uni support anyways. The only reason I'm considering Henrietta is really because of it's track record in getting girls into Oxbridge and Medicine, but my school got the same number of people into Oxbridge anyways so it's not even that significant.

Have you applied to any other schools?
Reply 6
But the annoying thing is I am kind of undecided about my options because like, I kind of like a lot of subjects and I have looked into your science departments and they look amazing.

Oh I completely understand you, I was really torn for my A level subjects as well. I love economics and I enjoy doing it, but I also love computer science and I'm involved in competitions for both. I settled on science because medicine is such a varied career, you're not just sitting at a desk all day and you get to actually make a difference. My school is a science college, so we have good teachers are they're super friendly. Plus we get so much funding from our sponsors, the Brewers, our school is basically private school rich in terms of funding even though we're a state school.

What school do you go to now? Are you applying for sciences as well? Good luck!
Oh I completely understand you, I was really torn for my A level subjects as well. I love economics and I enjoy doing it, but I also love computer science and I'm involved in competitions for both. I settled on science because medicine is such a varied career, you're not just sitting at a desk all day and you get to actually make a difference. My school is a science college, so we have good teachers are they're super friendly. Plus we get so much funding from our sponsors, the Brewers, our school is basically private school rich in terms of funding even though we're a state school.

What school do you go to now? Are you applying for sciences as well? Good luck!

Haha I completely understand because I’m considering taking science instead of what I mentioned. It’s just hard because I feel like all these subjects are so different but also interesting so I hope mocks and results day will help. And as I said above right now I am at St Michaels but I guess I kind of want a change haha. Also, I applied to Henrietta but because our school had not done mocks yet the report was good, but not good enough for a conditional but I’ll reapply on results day.
I mean I feel like because Dame Alice and Henrietta are on such a similar academic level, you moving is pretty much a matter of whether you need a change because looking at the stats your school sends off loads of people to Medicine. But they are both fantastic so whatever you choose will be great
Sorry this won’t answer your question but I got into DAO this year and im a bit torn between there and Woodhouse so what’s the social life like there?
I know this is irrelevant, but I go to St Michael's (the one in North Finchley, which is the one I assume you're talking about) and I'm going into Yr13 so I'm happy to answer any questions or give you guys my insta so we can chat (if any of you ending up going)? I study English, Geography and Spanish (I dropped Maths though so I can still talk a bit about it). In Yr12 I found the Yr13s really cold and I don't want to be like that x
Reply 11
Original post by Abster79293
Sorry this won’t answer your question but I got into DAO this year and im a bit torn between there and Woodhouse so what’s the social life like there?

Hello, where did you decide to go in the end?
Could you give me any hint about the DAO discussion, got mine next week

Hey did you move? My daughter is in the same boat and very torn. dAO feels like a more healthier environment but that is just what I have heard. Please help
thank you
Reply 13
Original post by Anastasia p
Hey did you move? My daughter is in the same boat and very torn. dAO feels like a more healthier environment but that is just what I have heard. Please help
thank you

hi, i got invited to dao for a curriculum discussion and wanted to know a few things if thats okay. Assuming your daughter also had one of these discussions, what were most of the questions like? i'm aware they won't be too content based because the email said that they were 'informal group discussions', but i wanted to get a little sense of what type of questions they asked so i'm prepared. any help would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by EleniT
Hello, where did you decide to go in the end?
Could you give me any hint about the DAO discussion, got mine next week

Sorry for lateness. She is at DAO and very happy
Original post by Anastasia p
thank you
I agree. if you’re coming from a non competitive/ less academic school than HBS, HBS can easily become more of a toxic environment just because of how good the girls are there. You really are with the best of the best. You can easily compare yourself and it can knock your confidence if you’re not used to an environment like that. It depends if one can get motivated by other people who may be better than them , or sink.
Going from a random state school where you were one of the best, to going to HBS where you will most likely be average, it can be challenging.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending