The Student Room Group

Completely unaffected by Coronavirus...?

Not sure if it’s the whole country or just my area but everything is still the same as always except for the panic buying. All schools and colleges are open and I still work part time in a shop. In fact I just agreed to do 40 hours per week over the Easter holiday... Should I resign from my job and stop going to college? It feels like nothing is happening irl but online people are referring to me as some sort of brave warrior for working in a shop lmao. I’m genuinely so confused
My life has been completely unaffected by Coronavirus too, but then there's a reason one of my friends calls me 'the hermit'.
Just keep living life like relatively normal.
Original post by YasudaSayo
Not sure if it’s the whole country or just my area but everything is still the same as always except for the panic buying. All schools and colleges are open and I still work part time in a shop. In fact I just agreed to do 40 hours per week over the Easter holiday... Should I resign from my job and stop going to college? It feels like nothing is happening irl but online people are referring to me as some sort of brave warrior for working in a shop lmao. I’m genuinely so confused

Yeah sounds pretty normal. Its not really started yet.

The current stage is that we have a large number of infections out there, but people haven't had time to get sick yet. The government wants to us to continue as normal as much as possible, but to take measures to prevent spread so that when critical infections do start hitting hospitals (in 1-2 weeks) we can limit the rate.

Even when it does hit though, outside of hospitals and apart from social distancing/self-isolation measures, things shouldn't look too different. Life will go on.
Depends where you are *shrug* Around me it's business as normal really, if I wanted loo roll i'd go downstairs to the shop and buy some, all this coverage of 'ransacked markets' is alien to me.

Like everything else, London will insist on having the most compressed virus crazy, I expect cults by the weekend.
More than 20 teachers at school are self-isolating, many students are also doing the same, and the school is putting in some random rules to stop the spread. Exam grades will suffer.

I am working as well. The situation may change, but for now, just keep calm and carry on.
Keep going until the government say to stop
most of the precautions are for London it's a ****storm down here
Reply 8
If things get more serious like in Italy etc and I self-isolate, would I get fired for this? My shop would probably stay open because we sell necessary daily items such as food and hygiene products. I want to keep my job but I'm scared to keep working there if things get really bad. What should I do?
(edited 4 years ago)
If things get more serious like in Italy etc and I self-isolate, would I get fired for this? My shop would probably stay open because we sell necessary daily items such as food and hygiene products. I want to keep my job but I'm scared to keep working there if things get really bad. What should I do?

You can't self-isolate because of what is happening in the UK, you self isolate if you have symptoms.
Reply 10
Original post by Oxford Mum
You can't self-isolate because of what is happening in the UK, you self isolate if you have symptoms.

Then why is everyone on the internet saying they’re staying at home and urging everyone else to stay home if they can? Also surely in countries like Italy and China everyone is staying home regardless, I thought that was the whole point?
(edited 4 years ago)
Then why is everyone on the internet saying they’re staying at home and urging everyone else to stay home if they can? Also surely in countries like Italy and China everyone is staying home regardless, I thought that was the whole point?

If they can, for example if they can take their work home and work from there. I work at a call centre, so will be heading off to work tomorrow as usual.

To stop it spreading to vulnerable people.

Chances of severe illness if you're young are very low. That is the bottom line.
It's fairly normal around where I am too, there's just not much in the shops and schools are closing tomorrow. There's still loads of people still out and about.
I’m Type O so I’m low risk anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending