The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask a Warwick Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OOOllie
I know the course at Warwick is really really good for computer science. However, the night life and accommodation is really worrying me. I feel like there isn't that much to do and travelling to and from nearby cities is really expensive. Im also worried, I much prefer to live on campus so I don't have to rent, I heard that isn't an option is that true?

There is plenty to do! Transport to Leamington and Coventry is reasonable. There's also Birmingham a bit further out. There are also on-campus in the copper rooms (the SU nightclub) and in tbar. (the SU bar)

It is possible to live on campus for all years, and I know of people who have done this. However, I'm not sure how likely this is and what conditions must be satisfied, since I think on-campus accommodation is mostly for first years and finalists. (and some postgrads) A common approach is to live on campus first year, go off campus second year (and third year if your course is four years), and then return to campus for your final year.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Dehydratedwhale
I’m going to be starting uni in 2021 and so I’ll start the process of applying this year. Would u say A*A*BB is not enough to apply to Warwick with an A*AA offer

For what course? You may have a chance - but a higher grade in one subject doesn't necessarily compensate for a lower grade in another.

Could you negotiate one of those Bs up to an A? It'd save a fair amount of worry on your part.
Original post by _gcx
For what course? You may have a chance - but a higher grade in one subject doesn't necessarily compensate for a lower grade in another.

Could you negotiate one of those Bs up to an A? It'd save a fair amount of worry on your part.

Probably not :frown: and it would be for Computer science
Original post by Dehydratedwhale
Probably not :frown: and it would be for Computer science

Unfortunately computer science rejected a lot of people meeting or exceeding the standard offer this year - so it might be a tough one in that case, sorry.
Someone sent me this question via PM:

Hi, I have an offer for maths and stats from Warwick and I would like to switch it to maths and business eventually. however I need to switch to maths degree before this, but I don't have a level further maths so would this not be possible? thanks.

No this unfortunately wouldn't be possible. Further maths is required for the flagship maths degree. You can in strict technicality subvert this requirement by transferring to the flagship maths degree after a year of maths and stats. Transfer is however very competitive and requires strong results in exams. (well into a first)

The Warwick course is however very flexible, and you will be able to take some business modules in your second and third year should you choose to do so. You can see the listing of modules here. Exact courses will change year on year but will generally speaking remain broadly the same. You can take up to 30 CATs of "unusual" options that are not listed in the handbook. These may be any module offered by any department at the university provided you have departmental approval.
Do you know about jobs on campus? Like how easy is it to get a job either on campus or in the towns nearby?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you know about jobs on campus? Like how easy is it to get a job either on campus or in the towns nearby?

I haven't looked much - but there does seem to be plenty of opportunities. There are quite a few outlets on campus where students work (eg. preparing food/serving in bread oven (sandwich shop on campus)/dirty duck (pub on campus)/fusion (a restaurant on campus), serving drinks in tbar or the copper rooms, and stuff like that). There are also quite a few local clubs that have student reps and employ students as bar staff. Vacancies at SU-run outlets would be posted on the SU website but it seems to be empty right now, understandably. Beginning of next year you can probably expect some to appear.
can you give a general overview of accommodation? (+prices)
What sort of questions are put on the accomodation personality quiz, and when does it usually open for application? :smile:
Original post by yzanne
What sort of questions are put on the accomodation personality quiz, and when does it usually open for application? :smile:

The questions are:

Willing to share a twin room [only applies to Rootes/Bluebell/Sherbourne]

Prefer a single gender area [note that this is no guarantee]

Prefer to be allocated to a quieter area

Time you would typically wake up

Time you would typically go to bed

Hobbies/interests [choose from a checklist]

How you would describe yourself [choose from a checklist again]

Last year I got an email saying it's open on the 30th april. Might be delayed due to the coronavirus situation.
Original post by mpaprika
can you give a general overview of accommodation? (+prices)

Take a look at this webpage. Has pictures and prices listed.

If budget isn't a concern imo Cryfield Apartments are the nicest. (but there's only 70 rooms so probably pretty competitive) If you aren't a fan of the idea of sharing a bathroom, put Claycroft as your fourth choice. It is shared bathroom - but with only one other person who you'll get to know soon enough. You probably won't have a bathroom to yourself in second year accommodation anyway!
Reply 31
Hi, I am an A-Level student and I will begin my study in Warwick University, UK this September. I am interested to rent a property for the academic year 2020/2021 with my friends which can fit around 6-8 people. Our budget is £250-£400 per person per month. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you
Original post by amir696
Hi, I am an A-Level student and I will begin my study in Warwick University, UK this September. I am interested to rent a property for the academic year 2020/2021 with my friends which can fit around 6-8 people. Our budget is £250-£400 per person per month. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you

Are you not applying for on-campus accommodation?

I'm not sure on the process of getting private accommodation in the first year, sorry!
Reply 33
Original post by _gcx
Are you not applying for on-campus accommodation?

I'm not sure on the process of getting private accommodation in the first year, sorry!

I am not applying for on-campus accommodation because I thought it would be a hassle to move houses after a year. But, if I may ask, what is the average price of on-campus accommodation per month?
Original post by amir696
I am not applying for on-campus accommodation because I thought it would be a hassle to move houses after a year. But, if I may ask, what is the average price of on-campus accommodation per month?

It's not that much of a big deal - most people do it. But I do know of a person or two that went for private accommodation, it just isn't a common choice for first years. Varies from £300 (Whitefields) to ~£750 (Bluebell) depending on the accommodation.
How about transportation between campus and accommodation? Is it punctual? How much are the fares and are there any monthly or annual passes?
Original post by Anonymous
How about transportation between campus and accommodation? Is it punctual? How much are the fares and are there any monthly or annual passes?

There are regular busses from coventry (12X)/Leamington to campus, running from very early in the morning (pretty sure there's buses as early as 6 or 7) to very late at night. (I've come back to campus at about 3am) they run pretty often and seem reliable, at least every 15 minutes or so. I'm not sure how much the tickets are since I just use contactless, no more than like £3 return. Not sure what sort of monthly or annual passes are available.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by _gcx
There are regular busses from coventry (12X)/Leamington to campus, running from very early in the morning (pretty sure there's buses as early as 6 or 7) to very late at night. (I've come back to campus at about 3am) they run pretty often and seem reliable, at least every 15 minutes or so. I'm not sure how much the tickets are since I just use contactless, no more than like £3 return. Not sure what sort of monthly or annual passes are available.

I’m sorry but what is ‘contactless’?
Original post by amir696
I’m sorry but what is ‘contactless’?

contactless card - though cash is accepted
Is it hard to get halal foods around the campus?
How much do students spent on average for groceries?
Is there like a list of how much do students spent per month and on what items do they spend it on?
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest