The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask a Warwick Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
I'm not a person that really politicises things so I have no idea where pretty much anyone leans politically, it just doesn't come up.

If I were to guess, I would think there's a mix since both the labour and conservative societies are pretty active.

Thank you.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hi,

On the Warwick prospectus guide to study economics there’s no requirement to have studied economics previously. I haven’t, and I’m just wondering if I haven’t studied it what’s the chances of me getting an offer. Would I be disadvantaged for not previously studied it? How many people study economics at Warwick having not previously studied it? Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

On the Warwick prospectus guide to study economics there’s no requirement to have studied economics previously. I haven’t, and I’m just wondering if I haven’t studied it what’s the chances of me getting an offer. Would I be disadvantaged for not previously studied it? How many people study economics at Warwick having not previously studied it? Thanks!

If a subject is a significant advantage in admissions or highly recommended - it will be mentioned on the entry requirements page. The only one listed in A-level maths, so you will be fine.

Generally degrees like computer science and economics will assume no prior knowledge or A-level since not all schools offer these.

I'm not sure on the exact stats of the people who have previously studied econ, I'd have to check that.
Hi
I'm looking to study economics at Warwick, but I don't study it as an A-level. The course doesn't require it, but I'm just wondering what are the chances of getting an offer if I don't study the subject.
Thanks!
Hi
I'm looking to study economics at Warwick, but I don't study it as an A-level. The course doesn't require it, but I'm just wondering what are the chances of getting an offer if I don't study the subject.
Thanks!

I answered this above!

According to whatuni about 75% of applicants have economics A-level. But if not having it posed any barrier to admission, it would be mentioned in the entry requirements. There are no hidden requirements.

The best indication as to likelihood of offer is probably through this calculator: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/. This will give you a percentage based off data from the past few years, which should give a good indication provided admissions policies have remained roughly the same in the past few years.
Helpful tip: if you decide to live off-campus, don't stay at Coventry Study-Inn if you're a British student.

It's a tower block/apartment type accommodation that is geared towards foreign students and proper expensive.
Original post by Zoqua
Hi there. I want to apply for Economics at Warwick for next year (I'm in Y12), and for context am studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics, with predicted grades currently of 4 A*s. I know you're not an Economics student, so I will try not to ask anything too subject specific, but I do have a few questions (sorry if some of these are unspecific):
- What is the student environment like, and would you say that is sufficiently academically competitive/stimulating?
- How have you found the quality of teaching?
- Have you found there to be sufficient career services for assisting you in writing CVs for internship applications and other such career related activities?
- How have you found the accommodation and also the campus environment?

Sorry there are so many questions, I would be very grateful if you could answer any, as a current student (I was planning to ask all this on the open day :frown:), that would be very helpful :smile:.

Also, congratulations for getting into Warwick for Maths (I was actually originally planning on doing a maths degree before I started Y12) and good luck with your future which I hope hasn't been negatively affected by the recent pandemic. Have a nice day :smile:

They're specific enough!

People say Warwick is very competitive and all that, but I've managed to avoid it. I'm not a competitive person at all and would dismiss anyone trying to turn the degree into a competition. I'm sure there are some people that are keen on beating people marks wise. (of course - it is satisfying when you get a top mark) As I said before, I've found fewer passionate and engaged people than I would've hoped.

Ranging from ok to excellent. Some lecturers are a bit scatterbrained and can easily confuse people, others are excellent and perfectly clear. There will be a huge range at any university you go to. Ultimately, your lecturers will have been appointed on the back of the quality of their research, rather than their teaching. Excellent subject knowledge doesn't always translate to good teaching, but is obviously essential to make a good teacher.

Sorry, no idea. Haven't looked into it.

The accommodation is very nice and decently maintained. I lived in Rootes, which was more or less as basic as you can get, and it was certainly good enough. Other accommodations were much nicer but Rootes, and on reflection I should've really researched accommodation options more. (Warwick was my insurance so I picked Tocil based on proximity to the maths department and then the other 5 options were picked at random on price) Bar one shower in the flat always being blocked. Not sure what you mean by campus environment. It's quite a nice place.

Well - if universities run open days early next year and you're not applying to Oxbridge, you could always wait until you've had a chance to visit these universities. If you are applying to Oxbridge - you could always only put Oxbridge on your UCAS and possibly others that you're sure about and add them later.

It hopefully won't be, though there's limited scope in my situation for it to effect me.
Hello! I have a conditional offer from Warwick for International Management (with a year abroad). I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience working / studying abroad and how it went for them? I'm leaning more towards working because I want to get some work experience before I graduate.

Also, how is the social environment? I'm not into partying very much, so I'm just curious as to how easy it is to make friends since I heard most students get to know each other through going out.

Thank you :smile:
Hi, if I brought a car to the university, are there any places to park my car besides the parking spaces in the campus?
Hi, if I brought a car to the university, are there any places to park my car besides the parking spaces in the campus?

Don't know - very few first year students bring cars since almost all seem to live on campus. Most students in other years use public transport, though I do know of some people that parked in the car park behind Rootes/in front of Bluebell. (how long you can stay there I'm not sure) Would generally say don't bother bringing one.
Original post by compassvale2002
Also, how is the social environment? I'm not into partying very much, so I'm just curious as to how easy it is to make friends since I heard most students get to know each other through going out.

You will be fine - there'll be people who don't party/drink for whatever reason, and you'll be able to find events/socials that you can meet people at. (you'll also meet people through your accommodation/lectures)

Have no idea about management, hopefully someone else lurking can answer the questions I can't.
Hi, I have an offer to study maths and was wandering if there is enough space in the library or do you have to wake up early to get a seat?. Is there a dedicated maths library for mathematicians only? Thanks
Hi, I have an offer to study maths and was wandering if there is enough space in the library or do you have to wake up early to get a seat?. Is there a dedicated maths library for mathematicians only? Thanks

I don't usually study in the library, I normally study in my room but since I typeset my homework and print them in the library I end up there a few times a week. It can be busy, but I've never been unable to find a computer. There are also quiet areas to work where the books are but I've never used these. I hear in exam time it's very busy but fortunately I never got to experience that!

The maths library in the zeeman building is only for graduate students, unfortunately.
Original post by _gcx
I don't usually study in the library, I normally study in my room but since I typeset my homework and print them in the library I end up there a few times a week. It can be busy, but I've never been unable to find a computer. There are also quiet areas to work where the books are but I've never used these. I hear in exam time it's very busy but fortunately I never got to experience that!

The maths library in the zeeman building is only for graduate students, unfortunately.

The MyWarwick App is good indicator of how many seats are available and where.

I'm happy to help with any Law related questions. I'm sure you don't mind me joining in on your thread :tongue:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1

I'm happy to help with any Law related questions. I'm sure you don't mind me joining in on your thread :tongue:

Oh yeah, I forget that exists! There's also bus timetable information on there too I think, and stuff from Tabula. [where your personalised timetable is and where some assignments will be uploaded for those who don't know]

Of course not! Feel free to answer any questions I haven't been able to answer, too. Equally if there's any other Warwick students lurking here.
Original post by _gcx
Oh yeah, I forget that exists! There's also bus timetable information on there too I think, and stuff from Tabula. [where your personalised timetable is and where some assignments will be uploaded for those who don't know]

Of course not! Feel free to answer any questions I haven't been able to answer, too. Equally if there's any other Warwick students lurking here.

Haha hardly needed to use.Yes it includes all the bus info, your printer balance, assignment reminders and a load of other things which are quite useful

Thanks, I'll see what I can do :tongue:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1

The MyWarwick app actually works?? I thought it wasn’t accurate?
The 11 and 12x will be your best friend in terms of buses operating between Coventry, Warwick and Leamington Spa.

There's on-campus parking which is quite expensive, and considering it's a campus university, parking anywhere else will be quite a walk from the campus itself. You can park in the Tesco carpark for free for a certain period of time before you need to move. The nearest area to park your car is Canley (council estates and side roads etc), so you can park there but it's risky.
Original post by TheStarboy
The MyWarwick app actually works?? I thought it wasn’t accurate?

It's worked for me :dontknow: It is a good indicator but everything is flawed so its accuracy may not be spot on every time
The 11 and 12x will be your best friend in terms of buses operating between Coventry, Warwick and Leamington Spa.

I second this :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest