Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask a Warwick Student!

Scroll to see replies

Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Do you know if econ had many people get in through clearing, im thinking that my firm choice isnt for me and i regret not applying to warwick.
Reply 82
What career path do you think you're heading down?
Original post by Athxrv
What career path do you think you're heading down?

At the moment the only thing I can really see myself doing is research.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you know if econ had many people get in through clearing, im thinking that my firm choice isnt for me and i regret not applying to warwick.

Can't find any clearing listings for warwick for 2019, the page got taken down. Since economics is typically an oversubscribed course, I would personally doubt it'll be available through clearing. You can try on results day. If there isn't space in clearing and you really want to go, you can weigh your options and possibly take a gap year.
What are the chances of being able to change course from the MMath to MORSE? I’ve emailed the admissions team but I’m expecting a slow response due to corona.

Also, for the accommodation applications, do you have to put en suite options down? They’re out of my price range so I’d rather just put more of the cheaper options down!
Original post by AtlantaW
What are the chances of being able to change course from the MMath to MORSE? I’ve emailed the admissions team but I’m expecting a slow response due to corona.

Also, for the accommodation applications, do you have to put en suite options down? They’re out of my price range so I’d rather just put more of the cheaper options down!

Fairly high! It's a pretty straightforward process to switch from maths to a joint degree, it's the opposite that's harder. If for any reason you can't change before you start, you can take EC106 (Introduction to Quant Econ), IB104 (Mathematical Programming I), ST112 (Probability B) and ST104 (Statistical Laboratory) and you will be able to apply to transfer to MORSE at the end of the first year. I'm not sure how competitive a process this is, (certainly less than transferring from morse to maths) but ideally try to change before you start. (for transfers, they will generally expect strong results)

No, you don't! There are only 6 shared bathrooms accommodations though (claycroft/cryfield standard/rootes/tocil/westwood/whitefields), you'll get to decide the order of preference. If budget is a concern you may want to place claycroft at the bottom.
Original post by _gcx
Fairly high! It's a pretty straightforward process to switch from maths to a joint degree, it's the opposite that's harder. If for any reason you can't change before you start, you can take EC106 (Introduction to Quant Econ), IB104 (Mathematical Programming I), ST112 (Probability B) and ST104 (Statistical Laboratory) and you will be able to apply to transfer to MORSE at the end of the first year. I'm not sure how competitive a process this is, (certainly less than transferring from morse to maths) but ideally try to change before you start. (for transfers, they will generally expect strong results)

No, you don't! There are only 6 shared bathrooms accommodations though (claycroft/cryfield standard/rootes/tocil/westwood/whitefields), you'll get to decide the order of preference. If budget is a concern you may want to place claycroft at the bottom.

Okay, thanks! How are you finding the teaching for Maths? And what's the workload like for MORSE?

And that's great, I've been doing a lot of googling about the different options and I'm torn between Whitefields (to save some money) and the other, more expensive options. Tbh, I'm worried about the kitchen because I enjoy cooking; I hope I can fit all of my fresh food and meal preps in the fridge/freezer!
Okay, thanks! How are you finding the teaching for Maths? And what's the workload like for MORSE?

And that's great, I've been doing a lot of googling about the different options and I'm torn between Whitefields (to save some money) and the other, more expensive options. Tbh, I'm worried about the kitchen because I enjoy cooking; I hope I can fit all of my fresh food and meal preps in the fridge/freezer!

Whitefields is really awkward but i hear they are worth the money. I couldn't imagine having such small rooms and a small kitchen though.

Teaching everywhere is variable. There are some excellent teachers and others who struggle to maintain a coherent train of thought in lectures, not to name any names, if you look around on TSR you'll see a few names. (they are certainly exceptions) If you do get unlucky, for maths modules there'll almost always be course notes available that you can work from. The workload is completely manageable if you manage your time well. However, it's first year, and tbh a lot of people don't so it's probably routine to struggle a bit with it. It might mean missing pop if you fall behind. (a lot of deadlines are on thursday, pop is wednesday night) I'm not sure about the economics modules, didn't have much interest in them.

Whitefields is a bit small but it is very cheap. (and probably better value for money, tbh, better value than my second year house) I'm not sure about cupboard or fridge space, unfortunately. I doubt it's at all competitive, so you should be fine getting it if you put it down as a top option. Whereas the en suite ones it's just the luck of the draw.
Original post by _gcx
Teaching everywhere is variable. There are some excellent teachers and others who struggle to maintain a coherent train of thought in lectures, not to name any names, if you look around on TSR you'll see a few names. (they are certainly exceptions) If you do get unlucky, for maths modules there'll almost always be course notes available that you can work from. The workload is completely manageable if you manage your time well. However, it's first year, and tbh a lot of people don't so it's probably routine to struggle a bit with it. It might mean missing pop if you fall behind. (a lot of deadlines are on thursday, pop is wednesday night) I'm not sure about the economics modules, didn't have much interest in them.

Whitefields is a bit small but it is very cheap. (and probably better value for money, tbh, better value than my second year house) I'm not sure about cupboard or fridge space, unfortunately. I doubt it's at all competitive, so you should be fine getting it if you put it down as a top option. Whereas the en suite ones it's just the luck of the draw.

Okay, fair enough, thanks again!

The small room doesn't really bother me, so I think it might be worth saving the £1000 and sacrificing some space. Looking forward to spending hundreds in Ikea - if we even start as usual in September!
Original post by OOOllie
I know the course at Warwick is really really good for computer science. However, the night life and accommodation is really worrying me. I feel like there isn't that much to do and travelling to and from nearby cities is really expensive. Im also worried, I much prefer to live on campus so I don't have to rent, I heard that isn't an option is that true?

I am also considering Warwick but I am not sure about the social life and going out. It seems there is not much to do. I don't want to feel like I am in a bubble and feel isolated. I'm trying to decide between Warwick and Birmingham
Original post by jasminesmith021
I am also considering Warwick but I am not sure about the social life and going out. It seems there is not much to do. I don't want to feel like I am in a bubble and feel isolated. I'm trying to decide between Warwick and Birmingham

The social life is pretty decent. You have the choice of the copper rooms on campus, the clubs in Leamington Spa, Coventry and Birmingham. You also have pubs and restaurants.
Original post by jasminesmith021

As above - I don't think many people would complain about the social life. If you want to live in a city you might prefer brum.
Original post by xhollyxtaylorx
I’m having a bit of a panic!! It’s not that I regret my decision but I really am considering changing my course. I’m stuck between another uni and Warwick but Warwick would be my firm choice if they can change my course (like my other uni has) so this will be the decider! I have originally applied for English Language and Linguistics but I would really like to change to Management and Linguistics but I doubt Warwick will allow this due to how different they are!? Does anyone know if it’s possible? And if they do how would I go about changing!! Thanks :smile:

These are run out of completely different departments so the process might not be smooth. Just email admissions saying exactly this, that you'd like to change to Management and Linguistics. (make doubly sure you're asking to be changed to the right course, I can't find a course by this exact name on Warwick's website)

Since this is far past the 15th January deadline, they may not consider your application, but if they do and WBS decides to give you an offer (which wouldn't be guaranteed even if they did consider your application) they'd change the offer for you on track. They may give you the option of deferring for 2021 entry if they are oversubscribed but interested in making you an offer. You should make sure you don't overrun the reply deadline for the offers you do have, but I believe these have been extended due to coronavirus.
I’ve been reading up on accommodation and I’ve heard a couple of different things, on the application are you only able to put down Arthur Vick OR Jack Martin and not both and is this the same with cryfield townhouses/apartments?
Also, how many shared bathroom accommodations do you have to put and do you make 5 choices overall or 6?
Original post by Bethdavison
I’ve been reading up on accommodation and I’ve heard a couple of different things, on the application are you only able to put down Arthur Vick OR Jack Martin and not both and is this the same with cryfield townhouses/apartments?
Also, how many shared bathroom accommodations do you have to put and do you make 5 choices overall or 6?

Yes you can only pick av or jm and you can only pick one of bluebell, cryfield apartments and cryfield townhouses.

You can apply to at most 3 ensuites so you'll be applying to at least 3 shared bathroom ones. You make 6 choices overall ranked in order of preference.
Original post by _gcx
Yes you can only pick av or jm and you can only pick one of bluebell, cryfield apartments and cryfield townhouses.

You can apply to at most 3 ensuites so you'll be applying to at least 3 shared bathroom ones. You make 6 choices overall ranked in order of preference.

Thank you, I think a lot of people will be glad that’s cleared up :smile:
Reply 98
Hi guys, I recently received an offer for a 1-year MSc. As the accommodation application is not open yet and I heard it’s unlikely to get campus as a postgrad, I would like to ask what are the general prices of private housing. I come from a uni that had crazy prices for private houses and would hope it’s not the same at Warwick, so for example how hard is it to find something around £100-105 per week? Would houses in this price range be found within a ~20 mins walk from campus? Otherwise what are the average prices for something close enough to campus?
Original post by Andi97
Hi guys, I recently received an offer for a 1-year MSc. As the accommodation application is not open yet and I heard it’s unlikely to get campus as a postgrad, I would like to ask what are the general prices of private housing. I come from a uni that had crazy prices for private houses and would hope it’s not the same at Warwick, so for example how hard is it to find something around £100-105 per week? Would houses in this price range be found within a ~20 mins walk from campus? Otherwise what are the average prices for something close enough to campus?

I don't know of the average but I found a house in canley that's in walking distance of campus for £90 pppw. (+utilities not covered in rent and bills it'd probably come to £100-105) I assume at least some nearby houses are priced comparably.

Quick Reply

Latest