The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

dime_piece
Hi,
I know this is mainly a hair thread but i was wondering what make-up products you guys use (im not that into make-up but im thinking of changing that soon!).
Thanks in advanance!

Click here for the official make up thread for ladies of colour. . . :smile:
DancinBallerina
Click here for the official make up thread for ladies of colour. . . :smile:

Thanks! Could you also recommend a good hair moisturiser/protectant
dime_piece
Thanks! Could you also recommend a good hair moisturiser/protectant

The following is my hair regime with the products I use. What I use may not necessarily agree with your hair. It's a matter of trial and error. But you're more than welcome to give them a try and see. :smile:

*Pre poo - (will explain if you want me to?)

*Shampoo - ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo - I shampoo twice, not more than that as more shampoo washes strip too much natural oil from the hair.

*Deep Conditioner - Protein: Africa's Best Hair mayo
Moisturse: ORS Replen pak
(I leave both on for 30-45mins, but keep myself busy to generate heat for my scalp - helps the conditioner(s) to penetrate into the hair) - I alternate between these two products - so protein one week and moisture the other week . .

Wash off, I then towel dry. I then spray Elasta QP H-two leave in moisture spray into my hair (gives the hair moisture)

I then mix the following products ( a decent sized blob in my hand):

- IC Fantasia hair polisher (pink one - it protects your hair from heat if you are blow drying/straightening)
- ORS Olive oil incredibly rich moisturising hair lotion

. . . . mix those into hands and rub well into hair. If not enough just get some more until you feel the hair has sufficient - do not overload the hair though.

Once I have done that - to lock in the moisture I have added I get the ORS olive oil lil tub and I get a lil bit, rub well into my hands and oil the ends (the hair oil helps to protect my ends from getting damaged by weather and etc).

Once I have done all that, I blow dry on a medium heat. Never dry on high heat as it damages the hair. Once my hair is dry, I oil my scalp with Amla oil (its green - I don't use products which have petrolatum in them, they infact do nothing for the scalp!)

. . . And that's it! If Im going to bed, I wrap my hair in a satin scarf as satin protects the hair ends and also no grease can go onto my face.
(edited 13 years ago)
DancinBallerina
The following is my hair regime with the products I use. What I use may not necessarily agree with your hair. It's a matter of trial and error. But you're more than welcome to give them a try and see. :smile:

*Pre poo - (will explain if you want me to?)

*Shampoo - ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo - I shampoo twice, not more than that as more shampoo washes strip too much natural oil from the hair.

*Deep Conditioner - Protein: Africa's Best Hair mayo
Moisturse: ORS Replen pak
(I leave both on for 30-45mins, but keep myself busy to generate heat for my scalp - helps the conditioner(s) to penetrate into the hair) - I alternate between these two products - so protein one week and moisture the other week . .

Wash off, I then towel dry. I then spray Elasta QP H-two leave in moisture spray into my hair (gives the hair moisture)

I then mix the following products ( a decent sized blob in my hand):

- IC Fantasia hair polisher (pink one - it protects your hair from heat if you are blow drying/straightening)
- ORS Olive oil incredibly rich moisturising hair lotion

. . . . mix those into hands and rub well into hair. If not enough just get some more until you feel the hair has sufficient - do not overload the hair though.

Once I have done that - to lock in the moisture I have added I get the ORS olive oil lil tub and I get a lil bit, rub well into my hands and oil the ends (the hair oil helps to protect my ends from getting damaged by weather and etc).

Once I have done all that, I blow dry on a medium heat. Never dry on high heat as it damages the hair. Once my hair is dry, I oil my scalp with Amla oil (its green - I don't use products which have petrolatum in them, they infact do nothing for the scalp!)

. . . And that's it! If Im going to bed, I wrap my hair in a satin scarf as satin protects the hair ends and also no grease can go onto my face.

Ok sorry about this but i have a few questions:

1. Pre poo :confused: is that the thing that includes egg?
2. Do you leave you hair out naturally or put it in braids.
3. How long does the above take :p:
4. I wear braids 24/7 for 4-6 weeks at a time (but i do wash it with shampoo half way through) so should i do this everytime i take my braids out?
dime_piece
Ok sorry about this but i have a few questions:

1. Pre poo :confused: is that the thing that includes egg?
2. Do you leave you hair out naturally or put it in braids.
3. How long does the above take :p:
4. I wear braids 24/7 for 4-6 weeks at a time (but i do wash it with shampoo half way through) so should i do this everytime i take my braids out?

1) Pre poo is basically a mix of 1 x egg and 2 oils of your choice and cheap conditioner. I use olive oil and Amla oil (it's green). I mix that, apply from root to end (making sure the hair is saturated in it) and leave for an hour with NO HEAT!. Cover with a plastic bag or shower cap. Wash out and then shampoo and condition as usual.

2) I don't wear braids - I haven't since I was 8! My hair is relaxed, however I do my roots every 10 weeks, and I make sure I care for it really well, to prevent breakage and damage - it seems to be working for me.

3) How long does what take? the growing process? the pre poo? the washing?

4) Like I said previously, I don't wear braids - so I don't know what would work. Just keep doing what you're doing @ the moment. If it's working for you, keep @ it.

What I've posted is what my hair likes. It may not necessarily work with your hair, but some things might work, ie some of the products.
(edited 13 years ago)
DancinBallerina
1) Pre poo is basically a mix of 1 x egg and 2 oils of your choice and cheap conditioner. I use olive oil and Amla oil (it's green). I mix that, apply from root to end (making sure the hair is saturated in it) and leave for an hour with NO HEAT!. Cover with a plastic bag or shower cap. Wash out and then shampoo and condition as usual.

2) I don't wear braids - I haven't since I was 8! My hair is relaxed, however I do my roots every 10 weeks, and I make sure I care for it really well, to prevent breakage and damage - it seems to be working for me.

3) How long does what take? the growing process? the pre poo? the washing?

4) Like I said previously, I don't wear braids - so I don't know what would work. Just keep doing what you're doing @ the moment. If it's working for you, keep @ it.

What I've posted is what my hair likes. It may not necessarily work with your hair, but some things might work, ie some of the products.

I was just wondering how the pre poo & washing takes.
dime_piece

pre-poo can just be a mixture of oils and conditioner. Personally I only pre poo before I shampoo wash which is every other week. I apply coconut oil and a little bit of conditioner to my hair an hour before I shampoo wash. The whole point of pre-pooing in my opinion is when I shampoo wash my hair it strips moisture so pre-pooing will add moisture to make the hair less dry after washing. I then air-dry my hair. So the shampoo washing takes about two hours.

If you have braids make sure you oil your scalp my favourite oils are castor oil (promotes thick growth), olive oil, carrot oil and coconut oil. Ensure your new growth is moisturised so it doesn't break. I reccommend Elasta QP mango butter. It's good you're washing your braids though for my hair moisture promotes growth.
questionmark
pre-poo can just be a mixture of oils and conditioner. Personally I only pre poo before I shampoo wash which is every other week. I apply coconut oil and a little bit of conditioner to my hair an hour before I shampoo wash. The whole point of pre-pooing in ......It's good you're washing your braids though for my hair moisture promotes growth.

For the benefit of those just learning about pre-poos, see the bolded.

Pre-poo is short for 'pre-shampoo', i.e. before shampoo. So technically you are meant to do it before washing your hair with shampoo, just as questionmark said.
Anyone know where I can get a haircut in Plymouth?
dime_piece

Pre poo - takes me 15-20mins to apply and then I leave on the hair for 1 hour.

I rinse that off and then start the shampooing and conditioning process. I shampoo twice and condition once. That process can take me about half an hour.

I pre poo every other week, as it's egg in the mixture which is protein. Protein is good for the hair. However too much isn't good. Since I've started doing it, my hair has grown a lot and I'm not getting so much dandruff like I use to once before.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1390
Hi guys, I'm Italy atm and my Mum's coming out to visit me and I want to be able to give her a comprehensive list of stuff to bring with her! I've got everything I need here to make a pre-poo. But I'm just wondering which shampoo/conditioner and daily moisturiser to use. I've seen that some of you have said not to use anything with sulphates in it. I've seen that some of you use/recommend ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo, but from what I can tell, it contains sulphates

So yeah, any decent shampoo, conditioner and daily moisturiser ideas would be great.

Thanks
rlw31
Hi guys, I'm Italy atm and my Mum's coming out to visit me and I want to be able to give her a comprehensive list of stuff to bring with her! I've got everything I need here to make a pre-poo. But I'm just wondering which shampoo/conditioner and daily moisturiser to use. I've seen that some of you have said not to use anything with sulphates in it. I've seen that some of you use/recommend ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo, but from what I can tell, it contains sulphates

So yeah, any decent shampoo, conditioner and daily moisturiser ideas would be great.

Thanks

Hello,

Right the shampoo I use is the ORS Cream Aloe Shampoo - that is the only shampoo I ever use. I then alternate between the ORS replen pak OR Africa's Best hair mayo conditioner. Yes these products contain sulphates HOWEVER the difference is = none of them stay on the scalp, which is the crucial thing in making the hair grow. I oil my scalp with the Amla oil (it's green, it's what Asian women use) and that is what has helped my hair to grow. I moisturise daily with the ORS moisturising lotion.

Hope that helps.
Reply 1392
I use the creme of nature moisturising shampoo

http://afrodesire.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7352

I'm really happy with it :smile:
Reply 1393
DancinBallerina
Hello,

Right the shampoo I use is the ORS Cream Aloe Shampoo - that is the only shampoo I ever use. I then alternate between the ORS replen pak OR Africa's Best hair mayo conditioner. Yes these products contain sulphates HOWEVER the difference is = none of them stay on the scalp, which is the crucial thing in making the hair grow. I oil my scalp with the Amla oil (it's green, it's what Asian women use) and that is what has helped my hair to grow. I moisturise daily with the ORS moisturising lotion.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Reply 1394
Sarky
I use the creme of nature moisturising shampoo

http://afrodesire.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7352

I'm really happy with it :smile:

Thanks, I'll look at that as well.
rlw31
Thanks, I'll look at that as well.

I use creme of nature and elasta QP creme conditioning shampoo.
Hey guys- im quite clueless when it comes to hair, my old housemate used to give me tips but has left now :frown:
I would like to get my hair growing and may need an actual regime
can anyone help? would b great if u could pm me :smile: x
Purple Haze
Hey guys- im quite clueless when it comes to hair, my old housemate used to give me tips but has left now :frown:

I'll pm you I love talking about haircare lol :smile:
Original post by Purple Haze

If you wear your hair natural you may find these websites useful for tips (you may already know of them):

www.naturallycurly.com

www.britishcurlies.co.uk

Good luck!
sup nigs

do any of you know how much it would cost to get someone to go through my hair with a hot comb, roughly?

Quick Reply

Latest