The Student Room Group

Still lifting things up and putting things down

Hello.

I use to have a blog on here but I deleted my account as TSR proved to be far too much of a time sink.

Today was the first time in 2020 I'd lifted anything heavier than a shopping bag.

In December I contracted glandular fever. I was laid low for almost three weeks. To say that I've felt weak for the last few months is an understatement.

Goal: To get moderately strong again.

Method: Back to basics linear progression starting with low weights.

Scroll to see replies

Fri 18/4

Squat 60kg 5x5
Bench 80 kg 6x8

Just dipping my toe in. Squatting felt particularly awkward.
Mon 20/4

Bench 80kg 6x8
Seated DB OHP 33kg 4x8

Tues 21/4

OHP 50kg 8x6

Motivation is returning a little slower than I had hoped.

I'm using a garage gym at the moment. Equipment I have access to:
Squat rack
Bench
Olympic barbell with 177.5kg of plates
Standard spinlock barbell and pair of spinlock dumbbells. Variety of plates.
20kg kettlebell

The squat rack height is locked in place so I can't adjust it for benching. I'm having to bench directly off the safety bars, which will eventually limit me. The dumbbell sleeves are too short to get much weight on them unless I'm stupid enough to put 20kg plates on them.

That said, these are very much first world problems. I have access to more equipment than most people right now and can cover every base with it.
Floor press is another chest option. Still, looks like a decent setup.

Hope the worst of glandular fever is behind you.
Original post by illusionz
Floor press is another chest option. Still, looks like a decent setup.

Hope the worst of glandular fever is behind you.

Floor press is a good call. May have to find a brush first though. I'm not lying on that filthy floor.

Wed 22/4
Squat 70kg 6x5

Thurs 23/4
Bench 80kg 6x8
OHP 52.5kg 8x6

Fri 23/4
KB squat 20kg 3x8
Squat 80kg 5x5

Sat 24/4
Bench 82.5kg 6x8

Despite the low weights, squats still feel awkward. It's obvious that my body has completely lost the motor pattern. Bench is also a little wobbly. I know it will come back in a few weeks, but it's still frustrating.
Tues28/5
OHP 55.5kg 8x6

Christ, I'm being so lazy. Something about this lockdown stripped me of my motivation to do much.

I could go to the garage or I could sit here rewatching Peaky Blinders from the start......
Wed 29/5

OHP 55.5kg 8x6
Bench 85kg 6x8
KB squat 20kg 3x8
Row 60 kg 5x6
In an impressive display of strength, I used a wrench to unjam the squat stand. I can now bench normally.

I'm now on a program. I had some success with nSuns last year. I've now modified the 6 day squat program to the point that it is not really nSuns. I have retained the progression scheme and using 357468 reps for the tier 2 compound .One of the most frustrating aspects with the original program was having to switch the weight after each set, so that has gone. I've also removed some of the lighter sets but increased the reps elsewhere.

Training maxes were determined to simply match the weight I've been using recently. I've tweaked the multipliers used to determine the daily working sets and will probably further tweak them as I increase the weight. For example, benching 90kg x8 yesterday was easy, so having 95kg as my 1+ set tomorrow is erring far too much on the side of caution.

I've come to realise that despite being ill, not being active for an extended period and losing a bit of weight, I'm not as weak as I thought I would be. Squats still feel a bit iffy but that is a motor pattern issue.

Anyway, the program.

Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 09.53.21.png
Reply 8
If you struggled with lifting a shopping bag,I guess you worked your way up for holding things. what was holding your penis like when going for a wee? Real talk.
Mon 4/5
Bench 80kg 6x8
OHP 50kg 357468
Dumbbell row 33kg 4x8
Ez-bar curls 23kg 3x8

Tues 5/5
Squat 90kg x5 100kg x3 112.5kg 105kg 3x3 90kg 2x5
RDL 80kg 6x6

Wed 6/5
OHP 55kg x5 62.5kg x3 70kg x3 62.5kg 3x3 55kg 2x5
Bench 90kg 357468
Row 60kg 6x6
Ez-bar curls 23 kg 4x8

I found an ez-bar under some plant pots. So some more equipment at my disposal.
Original post by Trotsky's Ghost
In an impressive display of strength, I used a wrench to unjam the squat stand. I can now bench normally.

I'm now on a program. I had some success with nSuns last year. I've now modified the 6 day squat program to the point that it is not really nSuns. I have retained the progression scheme and using 357468 reps for the tier 2 compound .One of the most frustrating aspects with the original program was having to switch the weight after each set, so that has gone. I've also removed some of the lighter sets but increased the reps elsewhere.

Training maxes were determined to simply match the weight I've been using recently. I've tweaked the multipliers used to determine the daily working sets and will probably further tweak them as I increase the weight. For example, benching 90kg x8 yesterday was easy, so having 95kg as my 1+ set tomorrow is erring far too much on the side of caution.

I've come to realise that despite being ill, not being active for an extended period and losing a bit of weight, I'm not as weak as I thought I would be. Squats still feel a bit iffy but that is a motor pattern issue.

Anyway, the program.

Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 09.53.21.png

Nice I reckon you probs need a few more weeks of practice then you will be back to where you were or close. I recommend GZCL after nSuns I made a lot of gains after moving on from linear progression
Summary for the end of last week.

Managed 155kg x3 for deadlift. It is the first time deadlifting this year and was a hard lesson in how important grip strength is. Previously I won't use chalk until 180kg. I dropped my first attempt at 155kg so had to chalk up.

Benched 95kg x8. Obviously bench has not suffered that much despite the layoff and losing weight.

Added 10kg to my bench and deadlift TMs, 5kg to squat and 2.5kg to OHP. So this week looks like this.

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 14.25.15.png
Original post by SuperHuman98
Nice I reckon you probs need a few more weeks of practice then you will be back to where you were or close. I recommend GZCL after nSuns I made a lot of gains after moving on from linear progression

I have previously looked at GZCL and may do so again when I get bored of my modified nSuns.
I have previously looked at GZCL and may do so again when I get bored of my modified nSuns.

Btw Rogue Europe in an email told me that they'll be restocking some items tomorrow so worth being glued to your PC tomorrow if you are still looking for a bench
Original post by SuperHuman98
Btw Rogue Europe in an email told me that they'll be restocking some items tomorrow so worth being glued to your PC tomorrow if you are still looking for a bench

Thanks. Although I have managed to source a bench. Delivery Monday.
It's been a poor weak. I've spend most nights staying up until the early hours, sometimes involving too much alcohol. As a consequence, I've had such limited motivation to do anything.

I managed three truncated upper sessions.

1+ sets for this week:
OHP 72.5kg x3
Bench 105kg x6

So 2.5kg on TMs for both bench and OHP. Upcoming week looks like this.....

Screenshot 2020-05-17 at 16.44.17.png
Floor press is a good call. May have to find a brush first though. I'm not lying on that filthy floor.

Wed 22/4
Squat 70kg 6x5

Thurs 23/4
Bench 80kg 6x8
OHP 52.5kg 8x6

Fri 23/4
KB squat 20kg 3x8
Squat 80kg 5x5

Sat 24/4
Bench 82.5kg 6x8

Despite the low weights, squats still feel awkward. It's obvious that my body has completely lost the motor pattern. Bench is also a little wobbly. I know it will come back in a few weeks, but it's still frustrating.

Wish all the best bro. Stay Hard!
A much better week. Six sessions, hit all the tier 1/tier 2 sets.

3 reps for all the 1+ sets except for bench where I hit 107.5kg for seven reps. Squats are starting to feel smooth again. So I've added 10kg on to squat and bench TMs and 2.5kg for OHP. I haven't changed deadlift simply because my grip is still a bit iffy.

The only issue was lack of assistance work. I've found the tier 1/tier 2 sets leave me exhausted. I managed a few rows and curls. Hopefully try to get some more in this week.

This week will involve:

Screenshot 2020-05-25 at 10.26.56.png
And...... new bench arrived from Strength Shop. Here she is next to the janky old York bench.

20200519_161848.jpg

It is fantastic actually being able to get my shoulders on to the bench. No more tilting from side to side as I struggle to balance.

Yes, I seriously need to brush that floor.
We recently got that 1 bench at my gym I prefer the older ones but my powerlifting friends like that strength shop bench much more
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest