The Student Room Group

Still lifting things up and putting things down

Scroll to see replies

Bad week. Can't blame anything other than my lethargy. I put together a couple of half-arsed sessions over the weekend just to say I've done something.

Sat
Bench 100kg 6x5
Row 65kg 4x8

Sun
Squat 105kg 5x5
Ez-bar curls

Try again next week.

Original post by SuperHuman98
We recently got that 1 bench at my gym I prefer the older ones but my powerlifting friends like that strength shop bench much more

It's certainly a huge improvement over my old one. Having a single foot at the front makes a huge difference.
Still here.

Despite my initial plans, I spent entire lockdown benching three times a week and nothing else. I'm now back at the gym and getting back into a routine. Been using a PureGym. It is relatively quiet and almost everyone there is doing bicep curls, so I always get on the solitary platform or one of the two squat racks.

Good news: Bench 1RM is now 137.5 kg. I may finally hit the haloed 140 kg despite losing quite a bit of weight over the last year.

Bad news: I struggled to grind out a single 150 kg squat and deadlift is down to 190 kg. It doesn't help that clowns in the gym have covered the barbells in *****y liquid chalk.
Some decent progress in recent months.

Recent PRs:

Bench 142.5 kg
Deadlift 230 kg
Squat 212.5 kg
Trapbar deadlift 255 kg (from yesterday. Guy came over afterwards and asked "do eat a box of cereal before the gym or something?")

Mostly pleased with my squat. I was so inconsistent with it over an extended period of time but it shot back up simply by squatting 2-3 times a week.

I'm still mostly using PureGym but I've had a few trips to some serious strength gyms recently. It puts me to shame when I see someone repping out 280kg. I also had the privilege of training next to the World's Strongest Woman.
Very solid progress compared to 6 months ago.

How are those lifts compared to lifetime PBs? Was most of the progress regaining old strength or is much of it new?

We're in a pretty similar place overall so interested to see where you go from here.
Original post by illusionz
Very solid progress compared to 6 months ago.

How are those lifts compared to lifetime PBs? Was most of the progress regaining old strength or is much of it new?

We're in a pretty similar place overall so interested to see where you go from here.

Sorry, missed this post. Squat is about same as about a year ago, I've put 10kg on my deadlift and bench. So not much progress, just getting back into the swing of things.

I have a blank canvas that will soon be my new gym.....

20210201_184132.jpg
20210211_193419.jpg

Gym finally completed. Took longer than intended due to delivery delays. Just waiting for T-bar row and Viking press attachments to come back in stock.

I'm probably going to do a make-it-up-as-I-go-along upper lower for a couple of weeks just to get back into the swing of things.
Bench press 110kg 4x5
Swiss bar OHP 60kg 4x5
Lat pulldown 40kg 2x8 50kg x6
Cable face pulls 40 kg 3x8

I purchased a pulley system off Amazon for £60 because the alternative was spending £2k on a full cable system. My fears that I would fall apart quite quickly seem misplaced. It is a fine substitute for face pulls and tricep work, but I'm finding it is really awkward to replicate a lat pulldown.

Sessions so far have been on the short side because it is absolutely freezing in there.
Original post by Calibrated.
Bench press 110kg 4x5
Swiss bar OHP 60kg 4x5
Lat pulldown 40kg 2x8 50kg x6
Cable face pulls 40 kg 3x8

I purchased a pulley system off Amazon for £60 because the alternative was spending £2k on a full cable system. My fears that I would fall apart quite quickly seem misplaced. It is a fine substitute for face pulls and tricep work, but I'm finding it is really awkward to replicate a lat pulldown.

Sessions so far have been on the short side because it is absolutely freezing in there.

Same man, I enjoy the cold but last few weeks in the garage at -2 the cold deffiently slows things down. Do you find you are able to warm up, any suggestions?

Thanks
Squat 100kg 4x5
Trapbar deadlift 150kg x5 170kg x3 190kg x3
Cable face pulls 40kg 3x8

I awaiting an delivery of chalk. So that's my limit on the trapbar until it arrives.

Original post by george-kirby
Same man, I enjoy the cold but last few weeks in the garage at -2 the cold deffiently slows things down. Do you find you are able to warm up, any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm normally quite resilient to the cold, it is just when it drops below freezing that I hate it. A bit of jumping around and air squats warms me up but it does nothing to prevent the cold air biting face or the barbell being too cold to handle (solutions online are use a hairdryer or a heated blanket, neither of which I possess). Anyway, we seem to be beyond the worst of the cold now.
Squat 100kg 4x5
Trapbar deadlift 150kg x5 170kg x3 190kg x3
Cable face pulls 40kg 3x8

I awaiting an delivery of chalk. So that's my limit on the trapbar until it arrives.

I'm normally quite resilient to the cold, it is just when it drops below freezing that I hate it. A bit of jumping around and air squats warms me up but it does nothing to prevent the cold air biting face or the barbell being too cold to handle (solutions online are use a hairdryer or a heated blanket, neither of which I possess). Anyway, we seem to be beyond the worst of the cold now.

Yeah its getting to a point were my hands don't get numb after touching the bar or my breath condensation soaks the bar either lol.
20210211_193419.jpg

Gym finally completed. Took longer than intended due to delivery delays. Just waiting for T-bar row and Viking press attachments to come back in stock.

I'm probably going to do a make-it-up-as-I-go-along upper lower for a couple of weeks just to get back into the swing of things.

That is one raw gym. Jealous
Fri
Bench 100kg x3 110kg x3 115kg x3 120kg x3 125kg x3
Swiss bar row 60kg 4x8

Sat
Swiss bar bench 85kg 4x8
OHP 60kg 4x6
Face pulls 40kg 3x8

Sun
Squat 110kg 3x5 x10
Deadlift 160kg x3 180kg x3 190kg x3 200kg x3

That 10 rep squat was a PR because I've never squatted 10 reps in my life.

The Swiss bar is proving to be a wonderful purchase. I'd never used one before but it seemed like a cost and space effective way to get a bit of pressing variety in a garage gym. I knew benching with it took the emphasis off the pectoralis and on to the triceps, but I didn't appreciate quite how much. My first attempt involved loading up 100kg only to be shocked at how unstable the bar is at that weight. I hate think what it is going to be like when it use it for close grip.
Fri
Bench 100kg x3 110kg x3 115kg x3 120kg x3 125kg x3
Swiss bar row 60kg 4x8

Sat
Swiss bar bench 85kg 4x8
OHP 60kg 4x6
Face pulls 40kg 3x8

Sun
Squat 110kg 3x5 x10
Deadlift 160kg x3 180kg x3 190kg x3 200kg x3

That 10 rep squat was a PR because I've never squatted 10 reps in my life.

The Swiss bar is proving to be a wonderful purchase. I'd never used one before but it seemed like a cost and space effective way to get a bit of pressing variety in a garage gym. I knew benching with it took the emphasis off the pectoralis and on to the triceps, but I didn't appreciate quite how much. My first attempt involved loading up 100kg only to be shocked at how unstable the bar is at that weight. I hate think what it is going to be like when it use it for close grip.

nice, I take it your more of a powerlifting/strength guy. I don't think I've touched the squat rack in 3 years
Original post by george-kirby
nice, I take it your more of a powerlifting/strength guy. I don't think I've touched the squat rack in 3 years

Yep. My post covid-plan is to finally enter a local powerlifting competition. I'd also like to get into strongman stuff although my height and small hands will limit me.

I tweaked my rotator cuff Not only could I not use the gym, even trying to butter toast caused me immense pain. This has occurred several times now and I don't believe it is an over-use injury because it always seems to happen when I'm going through lazy spells and predates my lifting. I think I've just got a duff left shoulder.

So last week was spent taking things very easy. Managed two upper and two squat sessions. Going to get back in the habit of things properly this week.

On a positive note, I have new toys. I also managed to source the world's heaviest lat pulldown bar, which is so much better than trying to use a rope attachment.

20210301_165145.jpg
Bench 100kg x3 105kg x3 110kg x3 115kg x3 120kg x3 125kg x3
Bench 70kg + 32kg chains 5x8
Lat pulldown 60kg 5x8
Swiss bar row 70kg 4x8

Felt like a very solid session. Had hoped to attempt a 130kg triple but knew the 125kg was my limit.
Wed

Squat 120 kg 4x5

Today

Squat 120kg x3 130kg x3 140kg x3 150kg x3 160kg x3 170kg x3
Super set with:
Trap bar deadlift 150kg x3 170kg x3 190kg x3 210kg x3

Supersetted simply because it is 2am and I had some chicken in the oven.
Bench 110kg 4x5
Swiss bar OHP 62.5kg 4x6

Another short and sweet post-midnight session.
Wow, that gym setup. Lifts progressing nicely too.
>username5252758

Deleted his account again?
Original post by Smack
Wow, that gym setup. Lifts progressing nicely too.

Thanks.

Original post by illusionz
>username5252758

Deleted his account again?

I needed to take time out from the internet as it has become too much of a time sink.

Quick Reply

Latest