The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DrGonzo
The Summer holidays aren't over just yet, but I'm interested in hearing from some other people starting their A-Levels this September. What subjects are you all planning on taking, and are you prepared and ready to re-enter the world of academia?

Personally, the holidays are starting to drag a bit for me, and I'm quite looking forward to getting some work (ha, wonder how long that will last) and starting anew.

I'm really determined to do well over the next two years, and hopefully the prospect of going to uni will keep me motivated enough to stay in this state of mind. I'm sure its going to get stressful at times, but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end!

Btw, I'm hopefully going to be taking:

English Literature,
History,
Geography,
Sociology,

Alot of essay writing, but all subjects that I think I will enjoy and hopefully do well in!

well i guess you'll have chance to learn how to spell "a lot" correctly :rolleyes:
Looking forward to it :wink: .

Maths, further maths, biology, chemistry & physics : :yes:.
Hedgehunter
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, History, English Lit. and Critical thinking.

Is 5 a bad idea? Too much work?

Im also looking forward to 6th Form because we dont have to wear school uniform, we are allowed to wear our own suits and am very happy with my selection of shirts and ties now (and suit)...only need another tie and shirt.

Anyone else allowed to wear their own suits?

Most people get to where what they want (ie mufti every day) although, I will have to wear a shirt and tie :frown:
Reply 23
Resok
Suits!? LOL

:angry: suits are the sex, anyone who didn't wear suits at 6th form is inferior.

anyway, everyone makes a big deal about the 'transition to A-level' :rolleyes: when really all you're doing is working harder and not p***ing around so much. first year i was up for it but that disappeared in second year, uni was the only thing keeping me going.
EA-man
not p***ing around so much.

Exactly. :no: GCSEs were great for that (IT/RS/Geog :rolleyes:) and I hope A-Levels aren't all work and no play because otherwise, ink will be a very dull boy :frown:
I'm not quoting any previous messgae so if it comes up saying that I am, I am not
I'm just coming out of the two year period - hopefully but here's some advice.

A-Levels, no-one has forced you to come and sit them, you have chosen to do them because you have faith in your ability, exam success has already taken place and your place of study have faith in your ability. But remember that this is your occupation, and that you have chosen to do them.

The end of the two years and it seems worth jacking in because you are tired and feel that you wont do well heres some advice [with a political twist]

Some people belittle our exam results, but we know who are involved in working for them that the efforts and rewards that it carries. The exam room is the arena that makes the heart beat a little a little faster but its the arena where our dreams begin
Reply 26
I'm on Holiday next week and i'm actually taking some pre-work reading with me (how sad is that lol) cause i've noticed that not learning anything for 3 months has taken its toll on my spelling, order of wording in sentences and just generally my thinking power lol!

I'm restarting 2 of my A/S levels and taking a new one from september, i had a crap experience with my 6th form basically being "pathetic" so i'm moving on to college where i havent heard anything bad about.

Good luck :P
rapha
We're allowed to wear our own clothes but I don't think anyone is going to wear suits. :p:

No, haha. We have to wear suits!
Reply 28
Hedgehunter
No, haha. We have to wear suits!

Oh cool. Is it a private or grammar school?
Reply 29
moody28028
My subjects are in my sig. I'm quite prepared to go back, I've got most of my new uniform and stationary. But at the moment, I can't see past the GCSE results. Subject wise, they set us homework on induction day so I've had that to keep me occupied :angry:

You took maths AS early- just like me!
And you got 93/100 for S1? I hated S1..C1 was goood :smile:
Did quite terribly in S1 though..retook it..results out tomorrow..
Nervous?

How did you find June's C2?
rapha
Oh cool. Is it a private or grammar school?

The former.
Reply 31
atoms4peace
well i guess you'll have chance to learn how to spell "a lot" correctly :rolleyes:

C'mon its a common mistake! Hardly worth pointing out for the sake of pedantry :rolleyes:
DrGonzo
C'mon its a common mistake! Hardly worth pointing out for the sake of pedantry :rolleyes:

i'm pedantic
Sifr
You took maths AS early- just like me!
And you got 93/100 for S1? I hated S1..C1 was goood :smile:
Did quite terribly in S1 though..retook it..results out tomorrow..
Nervous?

How did you find June's C2?

Well stats is my forte, I like it more than pure. I thought C2 was quite good, there was one 5 mark quesiton I wouldn't have been able to do but I did one just like it the night before which was very lucky! So I'm not too nervous, pretty confident I'll get an A but I think I'll still be feeling sick tomorrow morning! How about you?
Reply 34
moody28028
Well stats is my forte, I like it more than pure. I thought C2 was quite good, there was one 5 mark quesiton I wouldn't have been able to do but I did one just like it the night before which was very lucky! So I'm not too nervous, pretty confident I'll get an A but I think I'll still be feeling sick tomorrow morning! How about you?

I'm going CRAZY.
I have no idea as to what I might get..
C1 was lovely I did that a year ago and got 90/100
I retook C2 and S1 becuase I didnt do so well in the January exams..

June's C2 was very good (Probably becuase I revised really hard), but the end question really got to me...and one in the middle..
I'd scored quite well for the practice papers I had done..
I hope I get marks for the working even if I got the answers wrong!!

Damn! OF course your getting an A you could probably score a C in C2 and still get an A!

I feel very sick..might not be able to sleep much, are you getting your results at 6am?
Sifr
I'm going CRAZY.
I have no idea as to what I might get..
C1 was lovely I did that a year ago and got 90/100
I retook C2 and S1 becuase I didnt do so well in the January exams..

June's C2 was very good (Probably becuase I revised really hard), but the end question really got to me...and one in the middle..
I'd scored quite well for the practice papers I had done..
I hope I get marks for the working even if I got the answers wrong!!

Damn! OF course your getting an A you could probably score a C in C2 and still get an A!

I feel very sick..might not be able to sleep much, are you getting your results at 6am?

Yeah I need 61/100 to get an A but I want an A in C2 so I have a fallback for A2. I'm sure you've done good! No, not at 6am. Did you do edexcel and are getting them online? I did OCR MEI and have to go into school after 11am once they've sorted out the Year 12s and 13s.
hello!
im doing biology, chemistry, history and maths. Not sure whether it will be stats or mechanics yet though :/
im excited, but really nervous about gcse results.
xxxxxx
Reply 37
moody28028
Yeah I need 61/100 to get an A but I want an A in C2 so I have a fallback for A2. I'm sure you've done good! No, not at 6am. Did you do edexcel and are getting them online? I did OCR MEI and have to go into school after 11am once they've sorted out the Year 12s and 13s.

Yess I was with Edexcel.
I hope you do do well in C2, because your right you will have something to fallback on incase A2 gets really tough.

If I do miserably I'll just retake in January or something-
But it would be a huge sigh of relief If I did do well.

Okay I'm off to prepare myself for the long night ahead..(may just spend it watching the Olympics because I doubt I'll be able to sleep),

Let me know what you get- (Although we both have a pretty good idea of what its going to be :smile:)
I may not reply though..being ashamed of my own grade :frown:

xx
Reply 38
indie_couture
hello!
im doing biology, chemistry, history and maths. Not sure whether it will be stats or mechanics yet though :/
im excited, but really nervous about gcse results.
xxxxxx

Im doin the same aswell, however ive decided to take stats instead of mechs!
Like the others, im really scared and worried about my history though.
Reply 39
this septemeber im looking at doing:
A2:
law
history
applied ict
government and politics

the politics is a self study because my college cant afford a teacher and a class room for us

Latest