The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde university? why so harsh??

Hi, i have recently just sat 5th year and have achieved 3 Scottish Highers
Music: B
Business: C
Computing: C

for first year entrance to Strathclyde u need either AABB or ABBBC (including English Higher) and better than that for highers sat over 2 years.

i have appealed for business to be moved to a B as that is what i got in the preliminary exam:frown: (lets just hope its successful)

going on the assumption that i get the appeal i would have BBC
i called up strathclyde uni and they said i would need another 4 highers at good grades to be accepted i was just wondering why are they so strict and couldnt make me an offer?

then i would have 7 highers....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are not being harsh or strict, they simply have grade requirements that you did not meet, and you missed by quite a long way. Their suggestion that you get another 4 good grade Highers is probably because they do not rate Music or Computing, and possibly Business too, as sufficiently academic subjects.
If you really want to go there, you will have to take a gap year and retake your Highers, in more academic subjects. What subject are you applying for?
Otherwise get into Clearing and see where you can get a place with the results you already have.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
**** that
Reply 3
they are not being harsh, they are a good university, have a fantastic business school and a great reputation for electronics. you dont have the entrance requirements yet so to get them to consider you is a feat and you should feel lucky that they might and dont just reject you straight off
Reply 4
BBC is still quite far away from AABB and not knowing anything about you they would probably assume that you would be unable to improve your grades enough in a year so there wouldn't in their view be a point in making an offer.

Stirling, Dundee and Aberdeen are all good universities that would probably make you an offer!
Reply 5
but its either AABB OR ABBBC there for if i got my appeal to a B in business i would have BBC SO I Would need better than AB in 6th year therefore one step up is AA in 2 highers
Reply 6
koolcat12
Hi, i have recently just sat 5th year and have achieved 3 Scottish Highers
Music: B
Business: B
Computing: C

for first year entrance to Strathclyde u need either AABB or ABBBC (including English Higher) and better than that for highers sat over 2 years.

Lets assume you get your appeal. You now have BBC, and you require ABBBC to get in. So in theory, you need another two highers and one of them MUST be your english. you also need to get one of those highers at A level and another at B level. So in your 6th year you need an A or a B in english really.

Its an amazing university, if you want to go there get your head down and work.
Reply 7
Sorry, didn't understand the difference between English and Scottish systems. But the fact remains that you will have to work really hard at some traditional subjects next year if you want them to give you an offer.
Reply 8
Lizj
They are not being harsh or strict, they simply have grade requirements that you did not meet, and you missed by quite a long way. Their suggestion that you get another 4 good grade Highers is probably because they do not rate Music or Computing, and possibly Business too, as sufficiently academic subjects.
If you really want to go there, you will have to take a gap year and retake your Highers, in more academic subjects. What subject are you applying for?
Otherwise get into Clearing and see where you can get a place with the results you already have.

Excuse me but computing IS a respected subject in Scotland.
pamelaa
Excuse me but computing IS a respected subject in Scotland.

Well yes, but they'd probably prefer something like English or Maths. Especially since none of the subjects the OP took are traditional, 'academic' subjects.
Reply 10
New...Romantic
Well yes, but they'd probably prefer something like English or Maths. Especially since none of the subjects the OP took are traditional, 'academic' subjects.

Computing is academic. Sorry but are we talking about the same subject here? I'm not talking about ICT or Administration. But yes, he should think about doing English or Maths.
pamelaa
Computing is academic. Sorry but are we talking about the same subject here? I'm not talking about ICT or Administration. But yes, he should think about doing English or Maths.

I think we're talking about the same thing. I did Higher Computing, so I'm not looking down on it or anything, but I don't think it would be classed as academic.

And although Undisputed is putting his point across in the wrong way, he's right to some extent. 3 Highers at BCC isn't great, no point saying otherwise. Uni isn't for everyone, the OP seems to think it's his right to get in.
You are going to need to do Higher English. Since you'll be basing your results over two years then you'll need to get better than ABBBC, probably by getting As in your sixth year results. If you want to go to Strathy then that's what you'll need to do.

It's not really harsh, most people will have more than three Highers, and they will be at better grades than BCC.
Reply 13
To the OP: I don't know why Strathclyde have asked for a further for highers, it seems strange. I would recommend being sly and giving another call to another department, because it seems odd. i'd really recommend bagging a higher English next year if possible, because everyone wants one. And maybe something like Higher French, because it's traditional yet not the most difficult of subjects to get a higher in. Good luck.
Reply 14
I'm sorry but you can't really diss Scottish qualifications and in which subjects when you haven't studied them.
Reply 15
Undisputed, Computing at Higher is a respected subject.
Go through clearing and do the same course elsewhere
Reply 17
They are not being harsh. You don't meet their requirements. End of.
where is strathyclude ? never heard of it
Reply 19
prospectivEEconomist
where is strathyclude ? never heard of it

It's in Glasgow.

Latest

Trending

Trending