The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Regarding the MSc Economic History (Research) track, does anyone know the number of students accepted?
There is a ratio of 68/249, on the official LSE programme page. However, they do not say what part of the 68 are on the Research track.
Any idea?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Original post by gangst
has anybody heard from the economic history department yet, anyone know of any offers having been given yet?

Original post by gtfo
If they have, they've not posted about it in the main thread. I'm still waiting to hear for Economics and Economic History.

Hi, I have an offer for Economics and Economic History, got it last Thursday :smile:
Reply 42
I am currently in yr12 and am thinking of doing economic history and then doing a conversion course in my 4th year for law. I have the summer to start writing a PS and was wondering if anyone could suggest the types of things that I should read or write as part of my PS for september/october?? THANKS X
Hi,
I really want to apply for economic history at LSE and I am doing the IB.
My predicted grades are 43-44 and I do HL math and I was wondering whether anyone knows about their offer and what they required for HL math, because I am really worried that HL math might ruin my chance of getting into lse.
Can anyone post what their offer was for economic history at lse , preferably IB offers, but a-level would also be helpful?
Reply 45
I applied as I needed to fill up my last place, had a completely Economics based (no history) ps, with AAB maths, bio, english..and just got offered an unconditional.. so dont worry about balancing the statement too much!
Original post by bengoodey
I applied as I needed to fill up my last place, had a completely Economics based (no history) ps, with AAB maths, bio, english..and just got offered an unconditional.. so dont worry about balancing the statement too much!

Hello, im applying for economic history next year but my gcse grades are so low
i achieved A*AAABBBBB and AS grades were AAAA in economics, chemistry, history and english

do i have a strong academic profile?

also my uni choices are the following
LSE - economic history
SOAS, CITY, READING AND ROYAL HOLLOWAY - economics

I really really just want to go to LSE , so shall i mainly focus my PS on 50% economics and 50% history right?

please answer
Reply 48
Original post by emilysmith123
Hello, im applying for economic history next year but my gcse grades are so low
i achieved A*AAABBBBB and AS grades were AAAA in economics, chemistry, history and english

do i have a strong academic profile?

also my uni choices are the following
LSE - economic history
SOAS, CITY, READING AND ROYAL HOLLOWAY - economics

I really really just want to go to LSE , so shall i mainly focus my PS on 50% economics and 50% history right?

please answer

Hi, I'm an EH second year. Your GCSEs are maybe a little below average for LSE but then your AS grades are very good and in strong subjects (although you could maybe have done with maths for your straight econ applications at the other unis but whatever); I only got AABC in History, Politics, Econ and Maths at AS and they made me an offer. You're probably a fairly good applicant.

I'd say that the personal statement can actually almost be more important than grades for EH. As with any application if you have a genuine interest in the subject they'll be able to tell in your writing. A 50/50 balance could work, and as the person you quoted said an entirely unbalanced one could too, so there's not really a winning formula. The advice I would give would be to try and write a little about an actual concrete area of economic history that you're interested in to demonstrate that you've done a bit of reading into the subject, for example personally I wrote maybe a quarter of mine on what I'd read about financial crises historically, and then show how that relates to why you're interested in the subject/why EH is the best more generally. I suspect that's more convincing than writing vaguely about history or economics, their interaction and why they're important, though that's obviously still worth mentioning. That said the admissions people know that you're unlikely to have properly studied the subject before so don't worry too much, they won't be expecting miracles. Make sure you have a look at the advice the department themselves give on personal statements too, if you haven't already: www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2015/economic_history.aspx

Feel free to PM me if you're still worried, and good luck.
Original post by apt9
Hi, I'm an EH second year. Your GCSEs are maybe a little below average for LSE but then your AS grades are very good and in strong subjects (although you could maybe have done with maths for your straight econ applications at the other unis but whatever); I only got AABC in History, Politics, Econ and Maths at AS and they made me an offer. You're probably a fairly good applicant.

I'd say that the personal statement can actually almost be more important than grades for EH. As with any application if you have a genuine interest in the subject they'll be able to tell in your writing. A 50/50 balance could work, and as the person you quoted said an entirely unbalanced one could too, so there's not really a winning formula. The advice I would give would be to try and write a little about an actual concrete area of economic history that you're interested in to demonstrate that you've done a bit of reading into the subject, for example personally I wrote maybe a quarter of mine on what I'd read about financial crises historically, and then show how that relates to why you're interested in the subject/why EH is the best more generally. I suspect that's more convincing than writing vaguely about history or economics, their interaction and why they're important, though that's obviously still worth mentioning. That said the admissions people know that you're unlikely to have properly studied the subject before so don't worry too much, they won't be expecting miracles. Make sure you have a look at the advice the department themselves give on personal statements too, if you haven't already: www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2015/economic_history.aspx

Feel free to PM me if you're still worried, and good luck.

please can you reply to your pm :smile:
thank you a lot
Original post by Admonitor
A lot of the successful economic history applications (and variations, etc) are still around in the post results frenzy, along with what regulars there may be, so if you all have any questions then go ahead and ask!

I have only recently decided I want to do economic history but I do history a level and three other essay subjects so should I base my extra reading and things on math/economics as I don't do them?
Original post by Jasminechapmann
I have only recently decided I want to do economic history but I do history a level and three other essay subjects so should I base my extra reading and things on math/economics as I don't do them?

That would be ideal but I don't imagine it is a big deal if you plan to go for pure economics history as you will be able to pick econ history modules almost exclusively apart from 1 (Economics A or B) that involves some math possibly but that's it.
Reply 52
Hi, I have applied to do economics history and economics and also international relations at LSE. My GCSEs were A*A*A*A*A*A*AAB, my AS were AAAA and my predictions are A*A*A. Do I have a good chance of getting in? and when does LSE normally make you the offer for this course? Thanks a lot for answering, really appreciate it! :smile:
Original post by tatam_6
Hi, I have applied to do economics history and economics and also international relations at LSE. My GCSEs were A*A*A*A*A*A*AAB, my AS were AAAA and my predictions are A*A*A. Do I have a good chance of getting in? and when does LSE normally make you the offer for this course? Thanks a lot for answering, really appreciate it! :smile:

I wouldn't know anything for a fact, but my guess is that your grades are more than fine so your personal statement will likely be the main determinant.
Original post by ChrisP97
Anyone got an offer from the economic history department yet? Sending my application off tomorrow for e&eh

Nope. I am applying for the same course and I sent mine off 2 and a bit weeks ago. I just got the 8 week email today though.
Thats great! Read online that a couple of people have got rejections, but from the sound of it was due to poor AS grades/ predictions.

Were the rejections on the main LSE Offers thread?
If you mean the LSE applicants 2016 thread then yeah, haven't seen any on the offer holders thread yet. Last year people were getting offers for e&eh in early december so hopefully they'll start soon. Where else you applied?

UCL, Nottingham, Warwick and Bristol (just got an offer today). What about you?
PS: Yeah I did mean the LSE applicants 2016 thread
I applied for E&EH way back in October and still haven't heard anything besides the 8-week email, so I'll definitely know by the end of December. My grades are fine but I'm a bit concerned that my PS only really talks about Economics with some vague references to society as a whole (not really history) but reading this thread has put my mind at ease a bit. It's also kinda impossible to mention Economics, History, Politics, Philosophy (and Maths to some extent - all the relevant things) in one 4000 character PS lol
(edited 8 years ago)
yeah ahaha I found the PS horrific to write, took me 18 drafts before it was acceptable. I think they care more about you conveying a genuine interest in economic history than the amount of words you write about it anyway though. It doesn't help that there are **** all economic history PS online for guidance.
Mine was pretty hard because I'm applying to a variety of courses: PPE, straight Economics and E&EH. Since straight Economics was the common factor amongst them that's the one I decided to write about. I managed to find a website though which has examples of a variety of Economics statements alongside a range of other subjects so that was quite good for some general pointers.
wow thats sick having an offer in the bag, I'm applying to pretty much same except Birmingham instead of Bristol. I'm pretty worried I haven't talked about history enough in my PS though, they made it sound like they wanted us to write an economics and history PS at the open day :/

Yeah the personal statement was a real pain to make. I made so many drafts it just ended up getting ridiculous, but after a while I had to just call it quits and accept that it was fine, otherwise, I would ruin the balance. I just hope the economic history department isn't as harsh as they sound.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending