The Student Room Group

Student finance for another year

Hello, don't know if anyone will be able to help with this because the circumstances are odd. I've completed a foundation degree which was entirely self funded and continued on to do a third year top-up through SFE, however, due to mental health related issues and University shutting I've fallen massively behind and it's entrirely likely I'll get a 2.2 at most, potentially even a third. I asked about repeating third year and, without exceptional circumstances they wouldn't allow it.

My question is, if I wanted to try another top-up year at another university, would I be eligible for student finance considering I've only done one year? Would I be better dropping out as student finance may not apporve funding for a second degree? I really want at least a 2.1 and I believe I'm capable of it but I've stuck myself with poor chances this year due to things that were outside my control but don't really qualify me for a deferred year.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Original post by williamha
Hello, don't know if anyone will be able to help with this because the circumstances are odd. I've completed a foundation degree which was entirely self funded and continued on to do a third year top-up through SFE, however, due to mental health related issues and University shutting I've fallen massively behind and it's entrirely likely I'll get a 2.2 at most, potentially even a third. I asked about repeating third year and, without exceptional circumstances they wouldn't allow it.

My question is, if I wanted to try another top-up year at another university, would I be eligible for student finance considering I've only done one year? Would I be better dropping out as student finance may not apporve funding for a second degree? I really want at least a 2.1 and I believe I'm capable of it but I've stuck myself with poor chances this year due to things that were outside my control but don't really qualify me for a deferred year.

Sorry to hear this, your university sounds horrible. You may want to check with your student union for confidential advice, I cant see how mental health could not be a good reason to repeat.
sfe will allow one resit year.
But I'm unsure if the current uni will affect this, as in I'm not sure if it's an issue if you withdraw from it or if you "complete" the course. They may say you already have the qualification if you are given the 2.2.
Check on ask student finance england thread or call them to make sure how you can keep your resit year available.
Reply 2
Original post by NeroliTenzing
Sorry to hear this, your university sounds horrible. You may want to check with your student union for confidential advice, I cant see how mental health could not be a good reason to repeat.
sfe will allow one resit year.
But I'm unsure if the current uni will affect this, as in I'm not sure if it's an issue if you withdraw from it or if you "complete" the course. They may say you already have the qualification if you are given the 2.2.
Check on ask student finance england thread or call them to make sure how you can keep your resit year available.

Thanks, pretty new to this site so I wasn't aware of that tab. I'll probably contact my SU too, thanks, going to be tricky because, although I've been diagnosed in the past I didn't do it this time around becasue I didn't want to get clouded with SSRI's again, I have been seeing the couciller and the safeguarding team so hopefully that's enough.
Reply 3
Hey bro,

I am sorry that you have experienced this, nobody deserves it. I had my extension rejected and had no access to resources that I needed to complete the dissertation that was handed in 13/05/2020. Is your university applying a no-detriment policy? If so this could prevent you from getting slapped a grade that you do not deserve. If they are then you will not go below your average grade provided that you pass i.e. get 40. How it is calculated will vary across different universities although, I will assume it is the same.

With regards to your questions, if you have self-funded the foundation degree then I am sure you are eligible for a student loan. Your best thing to do is ask student finance themselves because they are more reliable with information. Secondly how you have not qualified for exceptional circumstances is mind-blowing! That university sounds horrific. If their stance is firm then I recommend you hope for the best and expect the worst. What I mean by this, is not assuming they will lift it and treat this situation as a worst-case scenario. Aim to get the work done as much as you can.

I was in your shoes last week. I thought it was impossible to complete a dissertation in these circumstances we face but it is doable. It seems impossible now, but you will overcome this. Storms do not last forever bro, keep me updated. I wish you the best.

Peter
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by pjw98
Hey bro,

I am sorry that you have experienced this, nobody deserves it. I had my extension rejected and had no access to resources that I needed to complete the dissertation that was handed in 13/05/2020. Is your university applying a no-detriment policy? If so this could prevent you from getting slapped a grade that you do not deserve. If they are then you will not go below your average grade provided that you pass i.e. get 40. How it is calculated will vary across different universities although, I will assume it is the same.

With regards to your questions, if you have self-funded the foundation degree then I am sure you are eligible for a student loan. Your best thing to do is ask student finance themselves because they are more reliable with information. Secondly how you have not qualified for exceptional circumstances is mind-blowing! That university sounds horrific. If their stance is firm then I recommend you hope for the best and expect the worst. What I mean by this, is not assuming they will lift it and treat this situation as a worst-case scenario. Aim to get the work done as much as you can.

I was in your shoes last week. I thought it was impossible to complete a dissertation in these circumstances we face but it is doable. It seems impossible now, but you will overcome this. Storms do not last forever bro, keep me updated. I wish you the best.

Peter

I know, but I only ever let on about some anxiety and depression, none of the real suicidal ideation stuff so I don't know if they grasp how serious it is. I don't think there'd be a no detriment policy as the top-up year and the foundation degree are two seperate qualifications.

Thanks man, I'll let you know what happens.
Original post by williamha

Hi,

I think if youve not changed course in the past, or repeated then you should be fine to do the top up elsewhere, contact SFE to get clarification :smile:
Reply 6
Hey hope you're doing well man, how did it go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending