The Student Room Group

Is this a legitimate email?

So I got an account security message from gmail and it said confirm my recovery email that I had put in ages ago.

Is Google’s no reply account [email protected]?

I’m pretty sure it was legit but I just want to be sure. I should be safe as I have 2 factor on but just want to be sure
hahah it just means you cant reply to that email
youre fine
Reply 2
Yup. Google just doesnt want people to reply to their emails :smile:
OKAY TECH LESSON FOR EVERYONE (if you're using the gmail client)

firstly, what email address did it come from? it's you're reading an email about Google that came from *@google.com or any subdomain of google.com (eg accounts.google.com), its probably good. if it came from an email address google doesn't own, like *@ukgoogleaccounts.com, its probably bad

BUT click the drop down arrow below the sender's name and look for the 'signed-by' field. was it signed by google.com's mail server? if it was then the email came from google, if the it wasn't signed or it was signed by a suspicious domain its probably a fake email

the reason why you should check for this is because anyone (yes anyone) can send any email from any email address they like. what makes emailing secure is whether the email was signed by the correct server (ie google.com for a @google.com email address). any good mail service like gmail will normally filter out unsigned emails but you should always check when you're not sure
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Gillzy
So I got an account security message from gmail and it said confirm my recovery email that I had put in ages ago.

Is Google’s no reply account [email protected]?

I’m pretty sure it was legit but I just want to be sure. I should be safe as I have 2 factor on but just want to be sure

Yes, it's legitimate.

if the full domain ends with google.com, it's from Google.
Reply 5
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Yes, it's legitimate.

if the full domain ends with google.com, it's from Google.

Hey thanks for the response. It turned out someone got the wrong email i think and tried to sign up with my gmail recovery email. must be a similar email address as theyve tried to sign up for netflix with my email too. nothing to worry about in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending