The Student Room Group

No where wants me

I am sure I am not the only one having this problem. For around 5 weeks now I have been trying to get a job (more so now because I am off college up until 3rd Septemeber). In fairness I have only applied for jobs at 2 companies, Waterstones and Lush, however I have sent my CV to the Waterstone's in Bolton and in Manchester,Deansgate (I have even emailed the Arndale centre but they haven't even replied). As for Lush I sent my CV and covering letter to the new store opening in Bolton and emailed the shop within Manchester Arndale (however they have also not replied). It really irratates me how the companies don't even have the decency to give you a quick call to tell you no. I don't understand though why they have not got back to me and was wondering whether my CV was rubbish but it is all neat and got enough information on it.
Anyway has anyone else had this trouble?
x
Yep, worked at loads of clubs and bars, and tried to get a job for 7 weeks at about 8 pubs nearby, but they dont seem to want me. What really does my head in is the "we'll call you" ****. I normally fallow mine up with a calla anyways, but they are so full of crap mosta the time. Its easier just to say yes or no if you ask me :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Welcome to the real world.
I've handed my CV to over 150 shops in the Norfolk and North Suffolk area and here are the results:

Rejection Letters: 2
Interviews: 3
Interview Rejection Letters: 1
Jobs: 0

Welcome to the world of being a teenager wanting work.

If you're desperate to know ring up and they will tell you your CV is "on file" and if any vacancies come up they'll "contact you". It's rubbish, they won't.
Reply 4
You live in Manchester so why are you bothering applying for summer work? Just walk down that road with temo agencies on it and get a job. I did the same thing when I was a student and they were practically fighting to send me to work as soon as possible. The work was ****, but it was money and experience. I ended up landing a filing job in the CIS tower basement. A joke job, but it was easy money. That was through Adecco I think. Anyway, just go down there Monday morning and I guarantee you will be working by Friday.

Edit - I write this with the understanding that you are returning to education soon? If not, then still go to agencies and get your details on file. Places like Hays can be useful getting a decent, fixed-term job to tick you over.
Reply 5
Ubiquitous
Just walk down that road with temo agencies on it

can you say what road youre talking about? Im in pretty much same situation as OP (except Im not in manchester right now)
Norfolkadam
I've handed my CV to over 150 shops in the Norfolk and North Suffolk area and here are the results:

Rejection Letters: 2
Interviews: 3
Interview Rejection Letters: 1
Jobs: 0

Welcome to the world of being a teenager wanting work.

If you're desperate to know ring up and they will tell you your CV is "on file" and if any vacancies come up they'll "contact you". It's rubbish, they won't.

What the... =|
Here, anyone who's above the age of 13 will get a job, first time around.
But that might be because I live in a very touristy area.
Reply 7
I reckon most shops are wary of students applying in the summer simply because they know that we're probably going to leave after a few weeks.. I guess they don't see it as worth the hassle..

Maybe you could try local supermarkets? It's quite easy to get a job at places like Tesco if and when they're recruiting.
SuicideCommando
What the... =|
Here, anyone who's above the age of 13 will get a job, first time around.
But that might be because I live in a very touristy area.

It's ludicrous. I thought it would be easy to get a job before I actually tried getting one. Unemployment here is unbelievable.
Reply 9
I gave up, had three job interviews, they told me to f off. Richer sounds didn't even call me to say i didnt get the job. marks and spencers send me a letter saying i passed the assesment but they didn't have any vaccancies wtf.
Reply 10
Eek I felt exactly the same as you a bit over a week ago. I handed out my CV to 23 shops in town, applied to way more on the internet, phoned up loads of agencies and no one wanted me! I heard back from none of the shops I applied to and all the agencies said they had enough students on file wanting to do Summer work. I eventually applied for a job with a company called Ipsos Mori (a market research organisation) and I currently have a job with them as a telephone interviewer. It's not great, but it's not awful... Just keep trying.

Latest

Trending

Trending