The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett.
I'm at a loss what to do for my lit coursework too :frown: Soo hard to choose books :p:
Reply 3
A Passage to India by E.M. Forster

or

1984 by George Orwell

Edit: Justifications: A Passage to India: Witty, moving, and thought-provoking, this book gives a picture of British Raj through the eyes of an Indian. It is simply spectacular. The characters work, the plot is gripping - it is quite simply my fav novel of all time.

1984: Scary, more than anything.
Reply 4
I'm doing Brave New World by Huxley and The Handmaid's Tale by Attwood for my coursework.
Dickens' well known classics will probably feature high on the lists of many; Great Expectations, Bleak House, Hard Times and so on.

Personally I'm a big fan of Hardy as a novelist (though I know many aren't) so something like Tess of the D'Ubervilles and Far From the Madding Crowd would be up there for me.

It's probably impossible to ascertain which is actually the best novel, but if you're at a lost read Conrad's The Secret Agent, or Nostromo.

Or Vanity Fair.
Reply 6
I did The Handmaid's Tale and 1984, really good if you want something easy to compare (and from a history nerds perspective :smile:)
JW

Personally I'm a big fan of Hardy as a novelist (though I know many aren't) so something like Tess of the D'Ubervilles and Far From the Madding Crowd would be up there for me.

Good book. So glad we got to do that for GCSE coursework! :biggrin:
Reply 8
somethingbeautiful
The Liar, by Stephen Fry. Because it's funny, witty and charming.

Ooohhhh, agreed. Have you read the Hippopotamus? Equally brilliant!
Reply 9
English as in the language or the country?
Reply 10
inksplodge
Good book. So glad we got to do that for GCSE coursework! :biggrin:

:eek: you got to do that for GCSE coursework? I wish we did :frown:
Reply 11
I wouldn't say it's the 'best English novel ever', but North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell is pretty damn good. So is Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.
Reply 12
Lord of The Rings by JRR Tolkien.
zoe1989
I did The Handmaid's Tale and 1984, really good if you want something easy to compare (and from a history nerds perspective :smile:)

Snap. Minus the history nerd bit. I hate history.
Reply 14
For a good coursework comparison- 1984 Orwell and Brave New World Huxley go nicely. Not the greatest English novels- but fine for coursework purposes
Reply 15
somethingbeautiful
The Liar, by Stephen Fry. Because it's funny, witty and charming.

i LOVE that book...half because Stephen Fry wrote it :biggrin:
Reply 16
Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :ninja:.

Not that I recommend writing about it for A2 level coursework :p:.
zoe1989
:eek: you got to do that for GCSE coursework? I wish we did :frown:

Yup!! It was extremely enjoyable. The film was good, too :smile: We had the best English teacher ever so that made it even better :eek:
Reply 18
Pride and Prejudice.
Reply 19
English language novel?

Anna Karenia?
I quite like Bram stokers dracula too.

Lolitia has the most stylish prose.

Latest