The Student Room Group

Which other subject would be most beneficial for engineering?

Hello one and all :smile:

I will be starting an access course to higher education (engineering) in 2 weeks time.I am supposed to choose four modules that suit my future career path.I have picked maths 1,maths 2 and physics (all equivalent to A level).That leaves one more choice.After scaling them down,i have been left with
1.statistics (eq. to A level)
2.computing ..... (eq. to A level) *not ict*
3.Chemistry (equivalent to AS level).

Not fully decided which branch of engineering to venture into as i dont know the diffrences apart from what i have read from books and the internet.After some research,electrical & electronics,mechanical and possibly computer engineering sound quite interesting.

So,which subject would best compliment the other 3 (maths & physics) bearing the above engineering branch interests in mind ?

Not exactly keen on chemistry but if it will be helpful later, i don't mind doing it but it is not a pre-requisite.Do you need chemistry for mech,elec or comp engineering?

Statistics: How much statistics knowledge do you need for the above branches of engineering ?

Computing:I have read alot of negative things about it i.e poor syllabus that hardly prepares you for anything,let alone higher education.

I would highly appreciate your answers and advice.Thank you.
Reply 1
Do chemistry.

This is because u learn a lot about thermodynamics in Engineering (especially in Mech engg) and Chemistry would be very relevant as u would develop a chemical as well as physical understanding of thermodynamics especially the 2nd law which has entropy in it.

As for stats, it is fairly straightforward and procedural at A(S) level. So u shudnt hav a big problem in catching up with any stats that u might come acoss by not choosing stats as a module.
Reply 2
"Suitable subjects for your third A-level include (in alphabetical order) Chemistry, Computer Science, Electronics, Design & Technology and Further Maths."

So either Chemistry or Computer Science is ideal.

Source
Chemistry's good but I wouldn't say the A-level I did really prepared me for much of my engineering course! Some of the stuff on bonding and structure is relevant to materials but that's about it - the thermodynamics we learnt in Chemistry was very different to that in our course. I'd say Computing would be a good choice as long as it contains some decent content, ie. proper stuff on programming, digital electronics or communications. (And by communications I mean in an engineering sense, not as in "what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a fax machine")
Again, another vote for Chemistry, first year is much easier if you have a good knowledge of material properties, and as mentioned, an appreciation of entropy will get you a long way!

Latest