The Student Room Group

Starting a personal statement with a quote?

Scroll to see replies

PQ
im so academic
say, "the works of [insert name here] gave me an interest in economics" or something like that.
you really think that's selling yourself?:s-smilie:

I don't think it's a bad idea - you need to demonstrate that your interest in the subject extends beyond just studying it at school, and you've read around it a bit, and this isn't a bad opening for that. I do agree on "no quotes", though.
Draconis
I have two weeks left. It's hell. :mad:

Ah I wish I had 2 weeks left, I go back next Wednesday :frown::frown::frown: Eek year 13 and scary UCAS things... oh dear.
Reply 82
Redpanda91
Ah I wish I had 2 weeks left, I go back next Wednesday :frown::frown::frown: Eek year 13 and scary UCAS things... oh dear.

Ah, I'm only going into year 12. :biggrin:
Audrey Hepburn
:confused: What's wrong with that?

I mentioned my Daddy in mine :puppyeyes:

:laugh: How did that go?

Sports Racer
:ditto:

"Adam Smith was an idiot, and you are too for believing his ****. No, just kidding. I have been interested in economics ever since I was a baby..."

Look out, Oxbridge! :woo:

OP: quotes, parents, etc. are big No-Nos

It may start a trend.

foxo
Quotes at the start of personal statements make me retch.

Yes.

"Hey you, you four-eyed ****. Yes, you, the dithering old **** reading my personal statement. Now I have your attention..."

Yes that's what I had in mind :smile:

My first draft of a PS started with a quote. I think what made it worse, was that I was quoting myself :s-smilie: my tutor accused me of gratituous self masturbation. I sat there thinking self masturbation? self? who else am I supposed to masturbate sir?
Reply 84
Perhaps he was coming on to you.
My mum applied for uni as a mature student (she's 50) and used a quote to end hers...and I think it went down well. x3

She used 'It's never too late to be what you might have been', which is a George Eliot quote, and since it like, fitted her situation and her belief, then it probably worked.

But if you're just including one because you want to sound smart, then it's probably not such a good idea.
Reply 86
Galatea
Thinking about it, if you were going to use a quote, firstly make sure you perfectly understand it, and know well the author and the context, and also go for one that is slightly unusual, and has a more esoteric author, and not the most obvious or famous ones, or you run the risk of sounding slightly cheesy; I'm thinking Adam Smith is a bit to obvious for Economics, like having 'I think, therefore I am' in a philosophy personal statement. But there will be others..
I used Edmund Burkes 'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing'. I managed to connect this in my first paragraph, talking about Kosovo and war, its implications on Europe, then how on a micro-scale affected my friend and i. I connected it with my paragraph containing info on my extra-circular activates (debates, work experience with mp's and etc) which involved the topic of humanitarian intervention. Tony Blair’s and NATO 'humanitarian intervention' in Afghanistan and Iraq in contrast to NATO's 'humanitarian intervention' in Kosovo, as well as the lack 'humanitarian intervention' in Sudan. On top of this i had talked about my interest and support for international institutions like the EU and UN... Bla bla.

So my entire PS, from start to finish, was all about people needing to get of their ass and help others. Which to me I said, is the best single thing politics can achieve.

Of course in better words.

Cheesy? Probably. But i got in so i don't care lol.
The Lyceum
:laugh: How did that go?

My opening couple of sentences:

'I can pinpoint the start of my love of Philosophy to coming across ‘Sophie’s World’ whilst scouring my Dad’s bookshelf. Unfortunately, I was only eight at the time and did not get past the Greek natural philosophers.'

I'm a Daddy's girl :yeah:
Audrey Hepburn
My opening couple of sentences:

'I can pinpoint the start of my love of Philosophy to coming across ‘Sophie’s World’ whilst scouring my Dad’s bookshelf. Unfortunately, I was only eight at the time and did not get past the Greek natural philosophers.'

I'm a Daddy's girl :yeah:

Ah, so a discreet and tasteful reference. Fair enough, I had imagined something abit more...obtuse :woo:

Incidentally, I hate that book.
Reply 89
The Lyceum
Ah, so a discreet and tasteful reference. Fair enough, I had imagined something abit more...obtuse :woo:

Incidentally, I hate that book.

:eek: :eek: Why??

(I don't know if you can tell, but it's in my top 5. :biggrin:)
Draconis
:eek: :eek: Why??

(I don't know if you can tell, but it's in my top 5. :biggrin:)

Aha I get that reaction alot, don't worry. There are a plethora of reasons, but the main is that I simply could not connect. I think because I had spent so much time with the Greek philosophers aforehand and just felt that I was rehashing stuff I already knew under a veil of fiction?

It's hard to say, mayhap one day I shall give it another try. What are the other four? :wink:
Reply 91
The Lyceum
Aha I get that reaction alot, don't worry. There are a plethora of reasons, but the main is that I simply could not connect. I think because I had spent so much time with the Greek philosophers aforehand and just felt that I was rehashing stuff I already knew under a veil of fiction?

It's hard to say, mayhap one day I shall give it another try. What are the other four? :wink:

Anna Karenina, The Children of Hurin, The Solitaire Mystery and The Queen of Spades. In that order. :p:
Although The Queen of Spades is a short story..

Oh, and I get why you don't like it now. I read it first as a 10-year-old, so I didn't really know much about Philosophy before I read it.
I opened up with a quote and got four rejections out of five choices. Thats all I have to say...
Draconis
Anna Karenina, The Children of Hurin, The Solitaire Mystery and The Queen of Spades. In that order. :p:
Although The Queen of Spades is a short story..

Oh, and I get why you don't like it now. I read it first as a 10-year-old, so I didn't really know much about Philosophy before I read it.

Would you believe I still haven't read the new version? I remember the "Nairn I Hin Hurin" from Tolkien's "Unfinished Tales" yet have never quite got around to purchasing a copy of new edition.

:woo: You've got good taste.
Reply 94
The Lyceum
Would you believe I still haven't read the new version? I remember the "Nairn I Hin Hurin" from Tolkien's "Unfinished Tales" yet have never quite got around to purchasing a copy of new edition.

:woo: You've got good taste.

Likewise :wink:
I read the new edition a few years after reading Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, and I have to say I like it much better than both of them. But that might be because I shy away from everything once people make a film out of it. It totally ruins the imagination element of reading a book. End rant. :p:
Draconis
Ah, I'm only going into year 12. :biggrin:

Ah year 12... you have to work much harder than at GCSE :frown: But it's worth it to see grades that you were predicted (and above!) on paper in August :biggrin: And I guess it'll be worth it once I get to uni too :smile:
Reply 96
Redpanda91
Ah year 12... you have to work much harder than at GCSE :frown: But it's worth it to see grades that you were predicted (and above!) on paper in August :biggrin: And I guess it'll be worth it once I get to uni too :smile:

I like hard work, keeps me occupied. :p:
Draconis
Likewise :wink:
I read the new edition a few years after reading Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, and I have to say I like it much better than both of them. But that might be because I shy away from everything once people make a film out of it. It totally ruins the imagination element of reading a book. End rant. :p:

Ah! I still have chants of "mormegil!" on my mind, it was a fun story. Both as an entertaining piece of prose, and of course the allusions to older tales (Arthur comes to mind for example)

Alas, yes, the film thing can be annoying.
Reply 98
The Lyceum
Ah! I still have chants of "mormegil!" on my mind, it was a fun story. Both as an entertaining piece of prose, and of course the allusions to older tales (Arthur comes to mind for example)

Alas, yes, the film thing can be annoying.

Ah, Turin. :biggrin:
Mormegil means something like the Dark Sword, doesn't it? Or do I remember completely wrong?
Draconis
Ah, Turin. :biggrin:
Mormegil means something like the Dark Sword, doesn't it? Or do I remember completely wrong?

Lol yes, Turin Turumbar or something. I think Mormegil means black sword or dead sword or some such. Oh dear, the thread appears to be somewhat hijacked. :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending