The Student Room Group

Taking a leave of absence for the academic year

I’m meant to be going into my 3rd year of uni and going to USA for a semester abroad (literally my dream and one of the reasons I wanted to study at my university) in Spring 2021 but with corona & everything I highly doubt I’ll go. Should I take a leave of absence so I could go the next year?

I should also say I wouldn’t waste the year, I would do things that would benefit me when I go back to university and after I graduate. The only thing that worries me is that all my friends would be in the year above me and graduate before me and I’d miss out. I also can still participate in the dance team throughout me leave of absence so I’d still be at university, just not in classes. But studying abroad has also been one of my dreams since before I even went to university.

Is it that big of a deal to take a leave of absence? I’d only be 22 when I graduate and I feel like a year out would be beneficial to me personally (I study film and media so I can do things related in a year away)
Original post by eilidhr2000
I’m meant to be going into my 3rd year of uni and going to USA for a semester abroad (literally my dream and one of the reasons I wanted to study at my university) in Spring 2021 but with corona & everything I highly doubt I’ll go. Should I take a leave of absence so I could go the next year?

I should also say I wouldn’t waste the year, I would do things that would benefit me when I go back to university and after I graduate. The only thing that worries me is that all my friends would be in the year above me and graduate before me and I’d miss out. I also can still participate in the dance team throughout me leave of absence so I’d still be at university, just not in classes. But studying abroad has also been one of my dreams since before I even went to university.

Is it that big of a deal to take a leave of absence? I’d only be 22 when I graduate and I feel like a year out would be beneficial to me personally (I study film and media so I can do things related in a year away)

Spring 2021 is a quite a while away, so hopefully the virus will no longer be classed as a pandemic by then and "normal" life will have resumed. Do you have a deadline as to when you need to make your decision? If you feel like you'd rather stay here for the next year then do so. It's good you've got plans for what you want to do if you don't go abroad. I think you should speak to the head of department or the head of your course and get their opinions about whether you should defer your semester abroad.
Reply 2
Yes I have to decide before the semester starts. I feel like I would be so unmotivated if I went back to uni this year since the first semester is going to be strange anyways and then if my abroad program does get cancelled I’ll just be so lost and not wanting to go into 4th year. But I’m also afraid it might look bad on my CV is I took a year out but I guess if I have things to show for the year it could turn out to be a positive thing. Plus it would let me save in the hope I get to study abroad in 2022
Original post by eilidhr2000

If I were in that situation and it really was my dream I would defer a year so you can do your term abroad plus save enough money you can extend through the summer to go travelling. You can do something like the Mountbatten scheme.
https://www.mountbatten.org/new-york-programs/

Obviously the US is in a mess at the moment so best to delay until it gets back on its feet.

The key is to use this next year to earn money and get experience. Think you would always regret it.
You could always get a spare ticket for graduation and get some photos with your best friends even if not graduating or do a John terry and hire a gown anyway lol. I think that is a good solution as its only the bit with the friends thats important. That works for me.

Sorry for the late reply. Have been pondering the solution for some time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending