The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Democracy
Are you one of those people who has Dr x put on their stethoscope/labcoat from year 1? *has heard stories about them* :colone:

:p:

Haha people actually do that? :teeth:
Beska
Haha people actually do that? :teeth:

Yeah, apparently. People in my 6th form certainly did, well obviously not on steths, but there were quite a lot of people in Biology/Chemistry who'd scrawled "Dr x" on their labcoat with black marker.
Spencer Wells
I'm not sure. Our exams are internally set, so I imagine that my awards will still remain, but I wouldn't be eligible for the gold medal I don't think.

Last 2 years have been GKT peeps I believe.
Reply 83
2nd one! I'm going to go for the 2nd one with my degree too =)
Reply 84
Jamie

Nah - UCL for last 2 years.
Jamie

Lies. It's UCL. Of all the years of the gold medal, UCL have won it more than 50% of the time.
Spencer Wells
Lies. It's UCL. Of all the years of the gold medal, UCL have won it more than 50% of the time.

:yep: Cos UCL medics rule.
Reply 87
UCL's preference to people with a non-science subject put me off. :frown:
Beska
UCL's preference to people with a non-science subject put me off. :frown:

You do know that 50% of people with offers have all science subjects? It's not going to disadvantage you at all, especially if you have ECs to show you can do things other than science and medicine.
Reply 89
becca2389
You do know that 50% of people with offers have all science subjects? It's not going to disadvantage you at all, especially if you have ECs to show you can do things other than science and medicine.

I don't really want to risk applying to a University when they openly state they prefer students without my subjects. It's like me trying to apply to Trinity College, Cambridge without 3 sciences.
Beska
I don't really want to risk applying to a University when they openly state they prefer students without my subjects. It's like me trying to apply to Trinity College, Cambridge without 3 sciences.

Well no it's not, because Trinity specifically ask for at least 3, whereas UCL say they have a slight preference for an arts subject and then go on to state that you shouldn't not apply just because you don't have an arts subject. Don't read too much into it...trust me on this. They want to see people who do things that aren't medicine and there are lots of ways they find this out, and the least of which is going to be what A levels you picked.

If you genuinely like UCL then please apply.
Reply 91
becca2389
Well no it's not, because Trinity specifically ask for at least 3, whereas UCL say they have a slight preference for an arts subject and then go on to state that you shouldn't not apply just because you don't have an arts subject. Don't read too much into it...trust me on this. They want to see people who do things that aren't medicine and there are lots of ways they find this out, and the least of which is going to be what A levels you picked.

If you genuinely like UCL then please apply.

You must know where I'm coming from though. Medicine is such a ****ing hilariously competitive subject, and I don't want to limit my chances even further by applying to somewhere that state they prefer people with an arts when I can't offer an arts. Know what I mean?
If you tick all the other boxes, it's a risk worth taking. No more than the risk of applying anywhere else.
Reply 93
becca2389
If you tick all the other boxes, it's a risk worth taking. No more than the risk of applying anywhere else.

Thanks a lot for your advice. :hugs:

Something about UCL definitely appeals to me.
Reply 94
If you really want to go UCL defo apply. You still have 3 other choices.
Fluffy
Nah - UCL for last 2 years.

I know the two people that won them, and was there for the awarding of one of them...

That is so bizarre.
I remember the 2007 one, it was a girl from KCL, and i was there where she was given the gold medal and a cheque!

And this year 3 of the candidates for GKT (they normally have about 5 candidates) were cambridge transfers, and here was alot of fuss because the girl that won was apparently the weaker of the three. But very pretty.

Do they award one to each med school or something?

Latest

Trending

Trending